What's new

Toys we grew up with

As I watched my daughter play with her various toys and that of her sisters twenty plus years ago (yes we kept them) I couldn't help but go down memory lane. My favorites were:
Stretch -Armstrong. An "infinitely " elastic toy.
Norelco? Football. That was a stretch.
Thanks for the read.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My favourite toys as a child were (in no particular order),;
a) Matchbox Cars
proxy.php

proxy.php

b) Corgi Cars

proxy.php
proxy.php

c) Tonka Trucks

proxy.php
proxy.php

Also, check out this Thread What were your favourite toys as a child?

proxy.php
"As men [and women], get older, the toys get more expensive". Marvin Davis

Early 80's hits for me.

M.A.S.K. He-Man. Original Transformers. GI-Joe and I loved and still have my original nintendo, (before the NES days) popeye table top game. Image is just for reference.

Attachments

• $popeye-tt_game3.jpg
    $popeye-tt_game3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
My favorites based on age were.

Age 3-8 (1978-1983) Starwars, Masters of the Universe, Gobots, Buck Rogers, G.I.Joe, Legos, Steel Tonka toys, Matchbox/Hotwheels, Magnavox Odyssey²
Age 8-17 (1983-1991) Transformers, Atari, NES, SNES,Genesis, turbografx-16

Notice how once I got Odyssey my entire focus went to video games, I still play them on occasion but after 16-17, cars and women took over most of my time. :wink2:

Who cares if an old thread had this topic, it's fun to talk about it now!

Okie said "dirt". Maybe he was being silly about that, maybe not. But I know for me growing up playing outside in my backyard in the dirt was some of the most fun I ever had! Digging forts and trenches for my GI Joes with my Tonka Trucks, making mud. Heck my whole backyard was my favorite toy! Making my own forts and secret bases back behind the trees and tall bushes, playing "guns". Yes, the real looking ones made from metal that used caps and went "BANG" when you pulled the trigger. No bright orange tips or ridiculous colors for us! Climbing up in a tree and reading a book, swinging on the swingset, building model rockets out on the patio. Man, I miss being a kid!

When I was inside my favorites were:
Hot Wheels with a ton of race track I'd run around my room.
The big metal/plastic lion Voltron that had the 5 lions that assembled into Voltron. I miss that toy today! LOL
My biggest fave were these toys called Constructs. They were a building/creating toy that used these I beam and connector kinda peices with lots of other shapes and you could build vehicles, space ships, military vehicles, castles... basically anything you could think of. I spent more hours with those than I could even begin to imagine!

It saddens me that my kids and every kid they play with won't have anything to do with playing outside or toys like this these days. It has to have some kind of screen attached to be any fun.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
As I watched my daughter play with her various toys and that of her sisters twenty plus years ago (yes we kept them) I couldn't help but go down memory lane. My favorites were:
Stretch -Armstrong. An "infinitely " elastic toy.
Norelco? Football. That was a stretch.
Thanks for the read.

Those quote on "infinitely" proves you had one :001_smile. Somebody has made reproductions of the Norelco Football- I would love to have one (and a Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots).

Legion

Staff member
Those quote on "infinitely" proves you had one :001_smile. Somebody has made reproductions of the Norelco Football- I would love to have one (and a Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots).

I have a Rock em Sock em Robots in my house that is used to settle disputes (Who's turn to do the dishes, that sort of thing.) More fun than flipping a coin.

Legion

Staff member
In Australia we all had Coca Cola (And Fanta, Sprite...) yo yo's. Were they a world wide thing, or just in Aus?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have a Rock em Sock em Robots in my house that is used to settle disputes (Who's turn to do the dishes, that sort of thing.) More fun than flipping a coin.

I love that ratcheting sound when you hit your opponents head just right.

In the 1950's myself and almost every other kid I knew had lincoln logs and pik-up-sticks...

Attachments

• $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzjnr.jpg
    $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzjnr.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 373
  • $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    $zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 374
One of these...

Father got rid of it at some point. Last year, thinking about it, I looked them up and managed to get one. (Not the one on this picture though, I need to take some time and take decent pictures of mine)

proxy.php

The original table hockey game... mine is stamped 1946 I think. I had to rebuild the metal part under the goal that drives the marble to the exit slot.

Top Bottom