What's new

The MMA Thread

Didn't get to watch it but I want to find a replay somewhere... Those two are legends, I sort of hope one of them goes home to Russia and relaxes instead of continuing to fight

From the angle I saw the fight, the punches in question looked like they were to the back of Fedor's head and not the side. At any rate, it was definitely called way too early by Herb Dean. It looked like Fedor was trying to push himself back up during the blows.

From the angle I saw the fight, the punches in question looked like they were to the back of Fedor's head and not the side. At any rate, it was definitely called way too early by Herb Dean. It looked like Fedor was trying to push himself back up during the blows.

You're looking at the wrong punches. Herb Dean stopped the fight because of the upper cut, that's what the knockout blow was. That punch put him out. He recovered, but Fedor was most certainly out, albeit brief, but out, no question about it.

Rob, I watched it a half dozen times, I didn't see Hendo go out.

Last edited:
Just watched it myself. If Fedor ends his career here, I'm glad it was with Hendo. That was a great uppercut as Hendo slipped around to Fedor's back. I saw a bunch of different angles on it, but I'm going to go with Herb's call. Haven't watched the rest of the fights yet: I'm looking forward to Lawler-Kennedy.

I don't think Hendo was out. Hurt? Yup. He went down to protect himself and Fedor got very careless. Neither of these guys had ever been KO'd and Fedor got rung only because he got careless. Guys with great chins are dangerous after getting tagged because the aggressor becomes too aggressive. Becomes solely offensive. Opens himself up to a counter.

I wish Dean would have let the fight go. Fedor might have taken a hit but with his history, he gets a pass from me. Can you imagine how awesome it would have been if Fedor would have been able to fight off Hendo? And get back to his feet? It would have been nuts.

Hendo is one of my favorites but IMHO the fight was stopped early. Fedor has earned the chance to get his head together and to continue to fight.

You're looking at the wrong punches. Herb Dean stopped the fight because of the upper cut, that's what the knockout blow was. That punch put him out. He recovered, but Fedor was most certainly out, albeit brief, but out, no question about it.

Rob, I watched it a half dozen times, I didn't see Hendo go out.

I agreed with Herbs stoppage. Fedor was done after the uppercut, no point in suffering. That said.... watch it again. Albeit a brief moment, Hendo was out. His entire body went limp for about 2 seconds but her recovered lightening fast and got back in it. It was awesome! I agree, if Fedor calls it quits I'm glad his final loss was to another legend and not some nobody who never will be.

That's how I watched this one. Strikeforce coverage is terrible. On the other hand, while Rogan and Goldie are an improvement, they leave a lot to be desired too. It would be nice to see coverage that isn't paid for by the promotion too, but of course that will never happen when it's a Zuffa PPV. I'd like to escape the Gene Okerlund factor for a while. There's a lot about the fighters and the fights that they can't say because they are constantly in the business of building up the event. Generally, I like the HD-NET teams, especially when Bas is playing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one not feeling it. I'm not really excited about Tito and Rashad at all. I was talking with my brother about this fight and I finally decided that I'm hoping for a double knockout. That said I think Rashad takes it.

Vitor vs Akiyama. I'm not sure why this fight is even happening. Vitor is coming off of a shot at the title and Akiyama hasn't fought anyone in the top ten in how long? I'm going with Vitor by KO.

About half of these picks are just guesses or wishful thinking.

Rashad Evans (No. 3 LHW, No. 10 PFP) vs. Tito Ortiz
Vitor Belfort (No. 8 MW) vs. Yoshihiro Akiyama
Chad Mendes vs. Rani Yahya
Johny Hendricks vs. Mike Pierce
Mike Thomas Brown vs. Nam Phan
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Matt Hamill
Jorge Rivera vs. Constantinos Philippou
Mike Pyle vs. Rory MacDonald
Dennis Hallman vs. Brian Ebersole
Ivan Menjivar vs. Nick Pace
Rafael Natal vs. Paul Bradley

I'm not real excited about his one either. I think Shawns picks are pretty good, but I wouldn't count out Dennis Hallman.

I think that Rashad takes it too, but I won't be surprised if Tito gives him some problems. Rashad should see this as a statement to the UFC and drill Tito as quickly as possible. My guess is that Akiyama is going to go down quickly too. He isn't that great of a fighter, and he doesn't seem to put the work in. Vitor also has a statement to make, and he can use Akiyama to make it. I agree with the Mendes pick too. He's really come along well. It's too bad that Yahya will probably get a thrashing. I used to think he had a lot of potential, and is jiu jitsu is amazing. He's just too inconsistent.

I've been seeing commercials for the fight here in Japan. It's getting a fair amount of coverage and, by the commercials, you'd think that Zuffa was using UFC 133 to launch Akiyama's run for the title. I think that's why he's getting the fight. Akiyama is the Japanese Michael Bisping, and they want him on board while they try to get an event slated in Japan. .

I think that Rashad takes it too, but I won't be surprised if Tito gives him some problems. Rashad should see this as a statement to the UFC and drill Tito as quickly as possible. My guess is that Akiyama is going to go down quickly too. He isn't that great of a fighter, and he doesn't seem to put the work in. Vitor also has a statement to make, and he can use Akiyama to make it. I agree with the Mendes pick too. He's really come along well. It's too bad that Yahya will probably get a thrashing. I used to think he had a lot of potential, and is jiu jitsu is amazing. He's just too inconsistent.

I've been seeing commercials for the fight here in Japan. It's getting a fair amount of coverage and, by the commercials, you'd think that Zuffa was using UFC 133 to launch Akiyama's run for the title. I think that's why he's getting the fight. Akiyama is the Japanese Michael Bisping, and they want him on board while they try to get an event slated in Japan. .

I was discussing this with my brother. We both think that Vitor is going to finish him quickly and that if it was any other fighter he would be cut or at least moved to the undercard after this fight. He is too big of a name in Japan for Zuffa to cut him.

I was discussing this with my brother. We both think that Vitor is going to finish him quickly and that if it was any other fighter he would be cut or at least moved to the undercard after this fight. He is too big of a name in Japan for Zuffa to cut him.

I hope they keep Akiyama. He is one of my favorite fighters. Zuffa needs to start keeping their most entertaining fighters regardless of wins and losses. I'd rather pay money to see Akiyama lose than watch GSP win for free. (Decimation of Nick Diaz, notwithstanding)

Rory McDonald looked great. That kid is going to be very good.

Poor Akiyama, I hope he keeps his job. He just isn't up with the upper echelon of the UFC.

What'd you guys think of Hallman's fighting attire?

Top Bottom