What's new

Corking blades

not all of the individuals that are not in agreement are moderators. I happen to agree with Austin. Why would you want to dull a razor blade?? Would you want to do that with a straight razor? Of course not!!! so why do it with a DE blade? If a blade is too sharp then try another that is not as sharp and fits you better... you do have that option. Rather simple really...

If it works for those who have tried it then more power to you all. As for me I will keep on shaving with the sharpest straight I own as this is what works best for me.

Raf

The Feather AC blade is where the corking method was first thought to originate before it spilled over to DE blades. Having read the threads from Joe Lerch and Dr. Chris Moss over at SMF and others at SRP, I doubt that there is a traditional straight blade as sharp as a laser cut Feather AC blade. Joe says that he has had straights honed by the best honemeisters and none were as sharp as an AC. Dr. Moss says that he discards his Feather AC blade when it's sharpness diminishes to that of a traditional straight. So if "sharpness" was the only factor for a great shave, everyone would be using a Feather AC or Feather DE blade. But everyone does not use these blades, so there must be other factors that contribute to getting a great shave besides sharpness.

Words like "harsh" and "unforgiving" are used by critics of the Feather AC blade, but in my experience corking can tame the blade. Traditional straight shavers have the advantage of being able to custom hone and strop their blade to a sharpness and smoothness appropriate for their face. Newbie straight users are always admonished not to accept a vendor's claim that their newly purchased traditional straight blade is "shave ready". They are always told to send it to a hone meister. Until corking, DE shavers were not afforded the same customization option for the supposed "shave ready" DE blades.

mparker also posted that Schick strops their DE blades. I don't believe that any manufacturer would go through the extra time and expense of a "finishing step" for their blade if there was no value in doing so.

Like some DE shavers, I also don't believe my AC blade is being dulled by corking. If it is dulled by corking, it is only marginally so and still very sharp. Probably still sharper than a freshly honed and stropped traditional straight. Unlike the DE world, I cannot change to a competitor's blade since I only have one choice of manufacturer (barring the Schick injector blades), so corking is the obvious solution.

I'm not an expert but corking and stroping seem to be two very different actions with different results.

Here are some questions: can anyone explain in detail exactly what happens to the edge of a DE blade when it is ran through a cork? not speculation... but proven facts

Does anyone think that the platinum coating on the razor's edge is being removed by corking?

and what happens to the edge when the platinum coating is removed?

Raf

I honestly do not believe that corking or stropping my blades dulls them. But, if it does "dull" them to some extent, I will accept the increased smoothness and shave readiness that comes with it. If honing and stropping is necessary for straight shavers to get the blade shave ready, then there is no reason why I can't perform the same to my DE blades. To each his own. But I will never again raise a DE razor blade to my face without corking, honing, stropping, or whatever you want to call it.
JohnD

I'm not an expert but corking and stroping seem to be two very different actions with different results.

Here are some questions: can anyone explain in detail exactly what happens to the edge of a DE blade when it is ran through a cork? not speculation... but proven facts

Does anyone think that the platinum coating on the razor's edge is being removed by corking?

and what happens to the edge when the platinum coating is removed?

Raf

The effects of honing and stropping has a long history, steeped in tradition, documented in university studies and canonized into what is considered proper blade maintenance.

Like most home grown or grass roots efforts, documentation on corking probably does not exist. Any evidence of its value is purely anecdotal.

At one time in our history, American Indians did not know why or how chewing on the bark of a willow tree relieved their pain symptoms. A guy named Bayer later came along and isolated the compound in the bark responsible for the analgesic effect. Thank God the Indians didn't wait for the study to come out! The anecdotal evidence was good enough for them. Using the same analogy, I don't know how corking affects the blade but I do know that I get superior shaves with a corked blade. Until the study comes out, I have to go on what I know. :wink:

I agree Ricardo. I'm not waiting to find out exactly what happens to the blade when it's corked. I don't care. I don't care if a conclusive study states that I am dulling my blades to butter knife properties, or if all the platinum coating gets torn off. Fact is, to me, corking blades can't be beat.
Johnd

I've been sensing a little hostility or resentment towards non-believers... [/I]

No hostility or resentment here, but I will admit to exasperation. I will say again: I have not read a single credible refutation of corking on this thread, I find it hard to believe that any of the detractors have actually tried corking and if they have, given it a fair go. These are the remarks of the detractors so far:
1. "We shouldn't have to do this..." Since when has life been perfect? What manufacturing process cannot be improved upon in one way or another?
2. "We should keep things simple..." Couldn't agree more but this is hardly a complicated nor an onerous task, in fact, what could be simpler?
3. "Corking dulls the blade". ( a perennial favourite). Well, the jury's out on that one, most people who have tried and like corking don't seem to notice. I think that if the process is done gently there is no noticable effect on the sharpness of the edge. If this still worries you, try styrofoam instead of cork.
4. "It's a cop-out for those who haven't yet learned how to shave properly." And that's a cop-out by those who don't want to consider a new idea.

If you are one of the lucky few who have no problem with the first shave with a new blade, then corking will not be for you, but, if you are a mere mortal you would be missing out if you do not at least give corking a try.

No offence or hostility intended to any detractor of corking nor resentment felt. You go your way and we will go ours. And God bless us all in our wondrous diversity of thought and deed.
John.

I honestly do not believe that corking or stropping my blades dulls them. But, if it does "dull" them to some extent, I will accept the increased smoothness and shave readiness that comes with it. If honing and stropping is necessary for straight shavers to get the blade shave ready, then there is no reason why I can't perform the same to my DE blades. To each his own. But I will never again raise a DE razor blade to my face without corking, honing, stropping, or whatever you want to call it.
JohnD

Excellent John - That just about sums the whole thing up.:thumbup:

The effects of honing and stropping has a long history, steeped in tradition, documented in university studies and canonized into what is considered proper blade maintenance.

I thought I wrote corking and stroping not honing and stroping. I am aware of the history and documentation in proper blade maintenance as it pertains to blades.

So are you equating corking to honing????? or to stroping??? I would think it would be more like stroping...but then again what do I know since I don't cork blades... objection your honor; argumentative!!! :biggrin: I'm not an attorney but did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night:001_tt2:

Like I said before if it works for you more power to you all. Personally, well , I believe you get what my take on this practice. Again this is just my take on this whole idea. Yes I am one of the "detractors" that decided to state my view. I'm not trying to stop anyone from "corking" either...

so go head and cork away!!!! hmmm that did not sound right....:eek:

Raf

I thought I wrote corking and stroping not honing and stroping. I am aware of the history and documentation in proper blade maintenance as it pertains to blades.

So are you equating corking to honing????? or to stroping??? I would think it would be more like stroping...

Hi Raf,

I agree with you that the better comparison for corking would be stropping. The honing/ stropping comparison was to compare blade prep for a traditional straight to what "corkers" (sorry I can't think of a better word :smile: ) consider to be their version of blade prep. I am not even sure if it is a fair comparison because other than my speculation, I cannot tell you exactly what corking does to the blade. Nevertheless, I am willing to live with its results. :jump: :jump:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Yes I am one of the "detractors" that decided to state my view. I'm not trying to stop anyone from "corking" either...

I was a silent nay sayer before giving it a try. Nearly everyone has a chunk of polystyrene laying around. If you took the time to make even one post on this subject, you can certainly take a few seconds to give it a try. You have already invested more time to the process by just reading this thread than it will take to tear off a hunk of foam and gently run a blade through it a couple of times. That's why I tried it, I had to justify the time I spent reading this outrageously long thread. Real, imagined or complete bunk, I was going to prove it to myself. If it was a bunch of bunk, I and a lot of others would have trashed this procedure toot sweet.

So come on, what do you say? It's not like we're all shivering in a cold pool trying to convince you that it will be warm once you jump in. I don't usually try to chide someone into trying something they are unsure of, but don't refuse just because of pride. A few have tried it and noticed no improvement, but a SIGNIFICANT number have noticed improvement.

I am happy to withdraw the word "detractor", meaning to: reduce, diminish, belittle. Would you prefer the term "Corking skeptic"?
As to the discussion about: "are we talking honing or stropping?", I think neither, we are talking about corking. Let's not confuse the issue, why not settle on a suitable term and stick with it, I vote for "Corking" whether we favour cork or styrofoam. None of the terms describe the process without benefit of further explanation so let's keep it simple.
John.

I am happy to withdraw the word "detractor", meaning to: reduce, diminish, belittle. Would you prefer the term "Corking skeptic"?
As to the discussion about: "are we talking honing or stropping?", I think neither, we are talking about corking. Let's not confuse the issue, why not settle on a suitable term and stick with it, I vote for "Corking" whether we favour cork or styrofoam. None of the terms describe the process without benefit of further explanation so let's keep it simple.
John.

Bravo, there's a post that finally does not make this procedure a matter of religious training.. I recognize that our missives often lack in some precision of language, but..
I have been using an American Safety Razor chrome steel for a almost a week now that I CORKED. For all of you Big-endians and Little-endians, yes with a real, made from Portuguese tree bark, cork. At this point I can say but one thing, the corking has not dulled the blade to the extent that it is not shave worthy. More to report next week after a thorough examination of the blade-razor combination without CORKING, i.e. the blade is not a CORKER.:cursing:

Bravo, there's a post that finally does not make this procedure a matter of religious training.. I recognize that our missives often lack in some precision of language, but..
I have been using an American Safety Razor chrome steel for a almost a week now that I CORKED. For all of you Big-endians and Little-endians, yes with a real, made from Portuguese tree bark, cork. At this point I can say but one thing, the corking has not dulled the blade to the extent that it is not shave worthy. More to report next week after a thorough examination of the blade-razor combination without CORKING, i.e. the blade is not a CORKER.:cursing:

But did you soak it first?:biggrin::biggrin:

So come on, what do you say? It's not like we're all shivering in a cold pool trying to convince you that it will be warm once you jump in. I don't usually try to chide someone into trying something they are unsure of, but don't refuse just because of pride. A few have tried it and noticed no improvement, but a SIGNIFICANT number have noticed improvement.

Hi OldSaw,

I do not have to try something just to see whether I am going to like it or not. If I did I probably would not remember much of my college years. I know for a fact that I am not going to run a blade through anything before I put it to my face. It has nothing to do with pride. To me is just a basic principle. If I wanted to shave with a blade that is not as sharp I would choose a different blade. That is the reason I used IP's and Swedish Gillettes and not Feather's when I shaved with a DE on a regular basis.

For those that have found improvement I am glad for them. I just choose not to do it.

btw I am just trying to rack up some posts so I can make 1k as soon as possible:biggrin:

Raf

Top Bottom