What's new

New girl looking for advice on legs

Hi all! I've just ordered my first DE and blade sampler and I picked up the VDH brush set yesterday to start practicing with lather. While I wait for the rest of my stuff to arrive, I'd love any advice I can get on shaving legs, or to be pointed to existing posts that could be helpful. I've see the ones referenced in the wiki but there are just so many posts and there is so much to read, I could use help finding others. Any tips or pointers for legs would be much appreciated!

Hello and welcome to B&B. I can't help you with the leg shaving but I am sure there will be someone here that can and I am sure will help you. You will find lots of advice here and everyone is always very happy to help if they can.

Well we can begin by asking what your normal routine is. You know before you order your shaving goodies. Oh yeah by the way welcome to the site. :biggrin1:

Welcome to the B&B!

Assuming you have been shaving with cartridge razors, from what I gather it's not all that different. The real difference is to not use any pressure, just let the weight of the razor do the work. Also, keep the razor at 30ish degrees, as the DE's don't have springy blades, and carts that move up and down. Be sure to use lotion or a moisturizer when you're done. I generally go ATG (against the grain) the whole shave, unless using straight razors. I've been shaving my wife's legs for a few months with DE's and straights.

From time to time, she shaves her own legs. Does a great job at it, and even when when she was just starting, shaved at a speed that made me cringe. Hope that helps a bit, I'll post more if I think of anything else, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask! :thumbup:

Seeing as leg-shaving is a much more difficult process than simply shaving a face, you'll have to show us a picture of those legs so that we will best be able to assist you.:biggrin1:

Oh wow! Thank you for all the welcomes and such quick replies! :D

Regarding my routine, I don't have much of one since I've only recently started shaving again after having given up for about a decade or so. With regular razors, I can't shave ATG without massive irritation, but I just found that going WTG has finally allowed me to start shaving again. Which is what led me to looking into DE razors. I'm hoping that I might be able to get a closer WTG shave that will last a little longer, or that the reduced irritation might even allow me to shave ATG.

This week, while I wait for my razor to arrive, I'm practicing my lathering and also using less pressure, since I tend to hang on that Venus pretty hard. o_O

The razor I ordered is a Gillette Tech. I probably paid a little too much for it but it looked like it was super good shape, so maybe I saved myself the cost of buying metal cleaners or something. The reviews make it sound pretty mild, so hopefully it will be a decent razor to start with?

I did have some trouble getting enough lather in the bowl. Is it more common for women to lather directly on their legs? Also, from what I can tell, I'm supposed to be holding the brush more by the base of the bristles with the handle against my palm? Only, I don't think my hand is actually big enough for that. Not a big problem really, though it might mean that when I look for a badger brush someday, I'll be hunting one with a wee nub of a handle. :D

Hi and welcome along from one of the girls!
Go nicely and slowly during your first shave and with no pressure. Read the leg shaving wiki article posted above as we put it together and hope it can help. If you feel it's missing anything please let me know or if you have any questions it doesn't cover please just ask. Personally I shave against the grain from the ankle up. I don't have much experience shaving from the thigh down but I'll help you if I can!
When you've been around a little while please do join the social group we have on here. There's a minimum post count to join the groups but if you'd like to join sooner please contact a moderator and ask. I'm not sure what they'll say but I. The mean time you'll fine lots of info in the main forum. Use the search tool too!

Oh and as a side note: the guys on here are just joking with you about the legs. Most of them are 100% gentlemanly. And I'll sort the rest out for ya! :thumbup1:

Don't listen to Barber-eile...she has been indocrinated by some of us on the board..... Just kidding, we love to have the ladies around here it keeps the rest of us in line.... Please just keep the Potpourri , those funny little cushions and the shams in the ladies group. The potpourri interfers with the cigar smoke.... and makes the cognac taste funny....

Welcome to B&B

I'm hoping that I might be able to get a closer WTG shave that will last a little longer, or that the reduced irritation might even allow me to shave ATG.

I'm a guy, so I'm coming from face-stubble rather than leg hair, but you might also try an XTG (across-grain) pass or two before moving onto ATG, especially if you've had problems with irritation.

The razor I ordered is a Gillette Tech. ... The reviews make it sound pretty mild, so hopefully it will be a decent razor to start with?

The one thing is that leg-shaving pages tend to mention length of handle as another important aspect for leg shaving--you might find the tech has a pretty short handle. The typical answer to that is a Lady Gillette, though I'm wondering if the Merkur long-handle might work (that's what I'm currently trying to push on my GF :laugh:).

I did have some trouble getting enough lather in the bowl. Is it more common for women to lather directly on their legs?

I can't imagine that bowl-lathering would be sex-dependent. Is the problem not being able to build lather, or just not having enough lather for your legs? For the former, I'd take a look at mantic59's videos on YouTube (though, be warned that he makes it look way too easy :tongue_sm), and for the latter, I'd try using more cream :lol:.

Also, from what I can tell, I'm supposed to be holding the brush more by the base of the bristles with the handle against my palm?

I don't think that's a deal breaker, since I'm lathering well enough holding onto the handle (I try to hold by the base of the bristles, I just tend to forget).

The leg shaving wiki is definitely helpful! And these boards are so full of information. I'm having a great time just pouring through post after post. :D I look forward to being able to join the social group.

Meanwhile, as requested... ;)

Legs. Vintage-style.

Top Bottom