What's new

What Is The Holy Grail of DE Razors?

Would a Big Boy New Deluxe do?

proxy.php

Wow, never saw that one before. VERY nice.

Well it varies for me with what I don't have but lust after in my collection. My most recent was the earliest flared bottom Aristocrat in the faux Ivory case. A NOS one recently sold on da Bay for just short of $500. Well beyond my top bid!!!

This one gets my vote... my personal favorite DE I've seen and wish I could own.

proxy.php

Last edited:
My holy grail razors right now are not DEs, but that wasn't the question. Considering DE razors only, yes, I really would like to get a double ring. Not all that interested in others, but I wouldn't say no to a cheap enough Toggle.

I'm at the point, though, where I wouldn't pay any where near the going rate, so this would be strictly a matter of a lucky find.

A 40's style Super Speed. I am lucky enough to have a birth year SS (1949) and I shave with it every day I'm at home. I do take a Schick Injector when travelling (takes up less room, shaves quicker) and a mini 3-piece when backpacking. I've shaved with several GEM single edge razors, Fat Boys, Slims, Super Adjustables, 50's style SS, black tip, red tip, blue tip, but my 1949 Super Speed is the razor I love. One good razor, one good woman (or one good man if that's your preference) at least one good dog (I have two). What more does a man need to face each new day clean-shaven and knowing he is loved?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A 40's style Super Speed. I am lucky enough to have a birth year SS (1949) and I shave with it every day I'm at home. I do take a Schick Injector when travelling (takes up less room, shaves quicker) and a mini 3-piece when backpacking. I've shaved with several GEM single edge razors, Fat Boys, Slims, Super Adjustables, 50's style SS, black tip, red tip, blue tip, but my 1949 Super Speed is the razor I love. One good razor, one good woman (or one good man if that's your preference) at least one good dog (I have two). What more does a man need to face each new day clean-shaven and knowing he is loved?

One good Stock Portfolio?

My Holy Grail of DE Razors would be either a NOS any type DE razor, a Senator, President, or a bucket of razors. My most cherished razor is my Sim Adjustable Aristocrat.

I only buy razors to use. I have been lucky enough to acquire an Eclipse Red Ring, a couple of Toggles and a Rhodium plated English Aristocrat, amongst all the usual suspects.
So my holy grail at the moment is a Darwin DE, made in Sheffield, England.

Legion

Staff member
Mine is on the way from the US as we speak, but I'm not going to jinx it by telling you.... yet.

Well this must be your lucky day..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220651968092

Yours for only £250.00 (Approximately US $393.50) plus £5.50 (US $16.56) p&p.

Man, I somehow lucked into my 2 darwins, but I would love to own the cases. Not at that price though :blink:

Edit: On a side note, the Darwins have basically cured me of RAD. They are the smoothest shaver and always, always leave me BBS. I've sold off most of my other razors cause of these guys. Would really like to try an Eclipse at some point and actually see them pop up more often than Darwins, so maybe someday...

Beautiful razor Peter...how does it shave?!

Thank you.
Very close. It's not overly aggressive but I'll get irritation if I use any pressure. The balance is outstanding. The handle is not as heavy as you'd think from looking at it. The head is flatter than TTO's which makes it quite manouverable in tight spaces. I used to do 3 passes and touch ups. I find that most of the time I don't need the touch ups now. It doesn't seem to be particularly blade sensitive although it seems that I can get a good shave from any good blade nowadays. It makes it hard to justify RBAD.:lol:
Fortunately/unfortunately my RAD has subsided a lot since I got it.

Top Bottom