What's new

Merkur Finish Question

I love the Merkur razor, but agree, if they would make the razor out of Bronze, or 316L stainless or even Titanium, they wouldn't corrode or need any plating. In fact I would love the have the Merkur HD made in Titanium, the color would look so cool. And since Titanium is so hard and durable, it would last a 100 lifetimes.

So far this is what I have for my reply...
So far, I think you are on the right track. If I were to offer advice to further refine your reply, it would be to further elaborate on the negative consequences if Merkur fails to appropriately and the positive consequences if they satisfactorily address your concerns. How? Try to to answer the following question.

What's in it for Merkur to keep you happy?

If they fail address the problem, you can quantify or elaborate on...

- How it will impact your business relationship with them.
- How it will reflect badly on them at a prominent website with thousands of members and deter prospective customers.
- How is will impact vendor perception of Merkur product marketability.
- How it contradicts their commitment to the highest standards of quality.

If they satisfy your concern, then you can use the above in a positive context (e.g. vendors will not be reluctant to sell their products).

In general, it's in the nature of people and companies to do what's best for themselves. Asking them to help you out of courtesy isn't as big a motivator as protecting their financial and personal interests.

Mate, you have two razors that you bought together, you can't be sure they are both the same age and manufacture period, yet they are having problems at the same time.

I think Merkur are seeing that as a coincidence that can't be ignored, and suggesting that the problem lies with their usage somehow - no intent on your part, obviously.

I feel for you, but I think this thread is rather hard on Merkur IMO. On a forum like this, the good and bad get distilled and concentrated. Lots of people have problems with Rooney brushes shedding badly. It's well known that dense handmade brushes have a failure rate, but does anyone say Rooney is a terrible product? No, in fact the opposite applies. It's not Rooneys fault they are more popular here than other brands. The same can be said of Merkur.

The experiences described here are isolated - in the context of the number of Merkur owners here. And to suggest Merkur has changed some policy regard warranty, based on a new boiler plate of some kind, or other potential manufacturing process changes, is a rather large assumption, IMO.

I don't think it's a coincidence, especially since the damage shown matches other photos I have seen, and these razors were purchased from other members around the same time. I also was using Gillettes at the same time I was using the Merkurs, and even my Fat Boy which was brassing before I started using it, has not progressed any further. I also noticed that both a gold and a chrome razor have corroded, and chrome and gold have different reactivities to certain things. The only thing those razors share in common are the material they are made of. Merkur makes a point to say that by German Law, things marked Solingen must meet certain standards. I have no problem with that. But when something DOESN'T, then you need to address it.

I love the Merkur razor, but agree, if they would make the razor out of Bronze, or 316L stainless or even Titanium, Titanium is so hard and durable, it would last a 100 lifetimes.

Which is why you'll probably never see it. Not much profit in selling a product a person only needs to buy once in a lifetime. :001_rolle

I love the Merkur razor, but agree, if they would make the razor out of Bronze, or 316L stainless or even Titanium, they wouldn't corrode or need any plating. In fact I would love the have the Merkur HD made in Titanium, the color would look so cool. And since Titanium is so hard and durable, it would last a 100 lifetimes.

Bronze and brass are easily cast, which is how Merkur makes their heads,
SS and Titanium aren't metals that are generally cast.
Merkur uses zinc alloy because of it low melting temperature.
http://www.tech.plym.ac.uk/sme/mech330/ticast.htm
http://www.artmetal.com/blog/abominog/2009/01/casting_stainless_steel

Last edited:
V

VR6ofpain

Nome of this would be a problem if Merkur cast their parts from brass instead of "Pot Metal".
Gillette made their DE razors from plated brass for over half a century and none of them have corroded.
Many have worn through plating (Brassing) but this is because Gillette choose to use really thin plating as these were inexpensive items.
What is the advantage to them using "pot metal" over brass? Is it just cheaper, or is it easier to cast? It seems that might be the driver? I think only the heads are made of "pot metal", while their handles are brass? I know the Futur handle has some brass it in. It is very heavy and you can see the threads are brass inside. You can also see a distinct texture on the lower portion of the head here, in comparison to the rest of the parts (handle, top cap, and blade base).

proxy.php

proxy.php

It is disappointing Merkur has all these manufacturing/quality control issues.

I'll start my post with this statement,

we shouldn't have to do this but....

Those of you with plating problems on your Merkurs can keep the corrosion problem at bay with a little enamel paint.

This is mostly for the internal places that you won't see since it's not a perfect match for the finish.

When I first got my gold slant there were some plating defects under the head where the threaded rod joins the head and on the base where the blade rests by the center hole.

I used some gold Testors enamel to seal them up and it's been holding for a couple years now. You can barely see the spots that I touched up. Just be sure to clean the areas very well and make sure they're totally dry before doing this.

It'll help keep the base metal sealed and most likely prolong the razor's life.

Merkur makes a point to say that by German Law, things marked Solingen must meet certain standards. I have no problem with that. But when something DOESN'T, then you need to address it.

Maybe it reads as such but there is no minimal quality standard by law when you use Solingen on your products. Though Solingen has a well known and reputable name it says/means nothing in terms of quality at all!

From what I've seen on the Merkurs I own only the head is pot metal. the barrel, knob and stem seem to be made from brass.
This makes sense as these are the only cast parts of the razor.
I've never owned a Futur or Vision so I have no knowledge of their construction.

I guess I've been lucky. Both my Merkurs are over 2 years old and dont show this problem (knock on wood). I was thinking of buying a 1904 model. I think I'm not going to do that now.

Sorry to hear about the Merkur razors. I have an old Vintage Hoffritz slant that has managed to stay in good shape. I also have a few old Merkur Tech heads that I use in rotation when I shave with the iKon Bulldog handle.

Sad to say that I also have noticed that the quality of the Merkur is no where near the quality of the vintage Gillette razors. It appears that the Merkur razors are made out of some sort of cheap Pot Metal while the vintage Gillette's are solid brass with the nickle finish. The Gillette's are a testament to the quality produced in the USA when it was a manufacturing powerhouse. Too bad that all good things must pass. However, we should be grateful that we can at least still get the quality vintage Gillette razors and that the supply has not dried up......yet.

Cheers.

Shamus-
What is a Merkur Tech head? Can you show us a photo?

Sorry....no camera available now. However, the Merkur Tech Head is the two piece head from a 3 piece Merkur razor.

The two pieces would be the cap and the plate that act as the sandwich for the DE blade. The handles I don't have since they were not available at the time of acquisition or were corroded beyond use. These heads were obtained from Merkur travel razors. Some are open comb and some are straight bar. The same set up as the Gillette tech razor and Gillette travel razor.

Cheers.

V

VR6ofpain

Sorry....no camera available now. However, the Merkur Tech Head is the two piece head from a 3 piece Merkur razor.

The two pieces would be the cap and the plate that act as the sandwich for the DE blade. The handles I don't have since they were not available at the time of acquisition or were corroded beyond use. These heads were obtained from Merkur travel razors. Some are open comb and some are straight bar. The same set up as the Gillette tech razor and Gillette travel razor.

Cheers.
Oh you mean the standard Merkur Safety bar head from their 3-piece razors. Calling it a "Tech" threw me off. Never heard anyone refer to that as a Tech head.

This one, right?
proxy.php

I were to offer advice to further refine your reply, it would be to further elaborate on the negative consequences if Merkur fails to appropriately and the positive consequences if they satisfactorily address your concerns.

If they fail address the problem, you can quantify or elaborate on...

- How it will impact your business relationship with them.
- How it will reflect badly on them at a prominent website with thousands of members and deter prospective customers.
- How is will impact vendor perception of Merkur product marketability.
- How it contradicts their commitment to the highest standards of quality.
I disagree. I think Merkur can work out the negative consequences for themselves, IF they really do have a quality problem that needs addressing.

As I posted earlier, to bring B&B into it, and point out these plain commercial facts to them, is only likely to be read as threats and intimidation - no matter how politely you word it.

And that doesn't predispose any company to progress with that complaint.

I disagree. I think Merkur can work out the negative consequences for themselves, IF they really do have a quality problem that needs addressing.

As I posted earlier, to bring B&B into it, and point out these plain commercial facts to them, is only likely to be read as threats and intimidation - no matter how politely you word it.

And that doesn't predispose any company to progress with that complaint.

Au contraire. The photo's that have been posted clearly show that something is going on with some of Merkur's razors. It doesn't make sense that just B&B members are victims of poor plating.

Bringing the problem to the attention of other razor aficionados is exactly the thing to do. They can critically evaluate the poster's claim and give their own informed opinions based on their experience with numerous razor manufacturers.

And, the fact that B&B members seldom buy just one razor, that many own or are considering buying Merkur's, and that they are often verbal in their razor likes and dislikes makes them the exact customer that Merkur should be interested in hearing from.

Bringing the problem to the attention of other razor aficionados is exactly the thing to do. They can critically evaluate the poster's claim and give their own informed opinions based on their experience with numerous razor manufacturers.
Where did I suggest we should never discuss it on here?

What I clearly said, in response to DE Shavers suggestion, was that it was unwise to use B&B as 'leverage' to get an outcome you want. Merkur are aware of such communities. It certainly doesn't hurt to mention the issue had had discussion here, Merkur can join the dots.

But to explicitly state, no matter how politely, 'if you don't do something all these people will probably think twice buying your product', is not going to get a favourable response.

Where did I suggest we should never discuss it on here?

What I clearly said, in response to DE Shavers suggestion, was that it was unwise to use B&B as 'leverage' to get an outcome you want. Merkur are aware of such communities. It certainly doesn't hurt to mention the issue had had discussion here, Merkur can join the dots.

But to explicitly state, no matter how politely, 'if you don't do something all these people will probably think twice buying your product', is not going to get a favourable response.

You didn't suggest that we should never discuss it here and I didn't accuse you of doing so.

I guess we will just have to wait and see whether Merkur gives a favorable response, an unfavorable response, or no response at all to the explicit statement. Pending a response or the lack of one, I will not buying any further Merkurs. I try as much as possible to spend my money on products made by companies who are proud of their products and who stand by them. And no, I'm not saying that you don't do the same.

Top Bottom