What's new

Merkur Finish Question

I bought two Merkur razors from B/S/T about two years ago, and slowly but surely, the plating on them has started to pit and corrode away. How would I go about getting these repaired? Would Merkur replace/repair these as warranty? Has there been some "batches" that are confirmed wonky? This isn't something recent, it's kind of always been there, it's just gotten worse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adding picts:
full

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure what you are saying is correct but it seems strange that chrome plating would corrode unless they were defective from the get go. Re-chroming is expensive and I don't think it would be worth it to even attempt to have this done. Personally if it bothers you a lot you might want to think about buying another brand such as Edwin Jagger or Muhle both have excellent finishes.

It's not the chrome that's corroding it's the under lying zinc alloy.
Zinc needs to be triple plated, copper/nickel/chrome.
Once the zinc is exposed to the elements further delaminating of the plating is sure to take place.
Since zinc requires special treatment most plating shop don't want to deal with it.

I guess Bob is right; this is the zamak corroding. You should contact Merkur but I have no idea what to expect from them. In the meantime avoid all (mild) acids when you clean them! Not that I would ever recommend any product containing acids to clean metals, but I know some do.

This does not inspire confidence in Merkur :sad:

Well, to be honest, these razors are around two years old. I may have just gotten some from a bum batch. They still shave awesome, but seeing the corrosion when I change blades and seeing the chrome/gold flake off makes my shaving panda sad. I also note the corrosion seems to be starting/spreading from edges/joints. I'm wondering if maybe the process where they smooth the edges down before plating left high points that the plating was light on?

Last edited:
Well ... I have a few Gillettes that are 50 or more years old and they look damn good. Not new - but still damn good. See the three on the left in the pic below.

OK, sent an email off to Merkur. I'll give them a day or two to respond. I posted a link to the picts I posted here, to show the problem as well.

This does not inspire confidence in Merkur :sad:

Agreed. Never expected that from a Merkur.

Maybe, but 2 out of 3 of my merkurs have several spots on the plating that might turn into the same kind of corrosion as on Radar's razors.

I was never really happy with the fit and finish of Merkur, but since I've seen old Gillettes, an old dutch Gladweg and the new Mühle razors I have little respect left for them.

I had the same problem with my Futur, plating is flaking off and pitted due to corrosion. I wrote Anne at Merkur and this is the response I received.

"The problem - according to the experts here at MERKUR - was caused by a too aggressive cleaning/decalcifying agent, or too long exposure to either one. The razor cannot be repaired, because the parts are power-pressed into each other, so in taking the corroded part out, the razor would be destroyed. However, it should not influence the shave, and will not be visible from outside.
Sorry for not being able to give you a more favorable reply."

The razor still shaves great but it'is no looker.

It's not the chrome that's corroding it's the under lying zinc alloy.
Zinc needs to be triple plated, copper/nickel/chrome.
Once the zinc is exposed to the elements further delaminating of the plating is sure to take place.
Since zinc requires special treatment most plating shop don't want to deal with it.

This is the reason. Even Gillette had problems when they used zinc as the base material for some of their Tech heads.

Until Merkur changes the base material or their plating process, they will always have inconsistencies and quality problems in their finish.

- Peter

I had the same problem with my Futur, plating is flaking off and pitted due to corrosion. I wrote Anne at Merkur and this is the response I received.

"The problem - according to the experts here at MERKUR - was caused by a too aggressive cleaning/decalcifying agent, or too long exposure to either one. The razor cannot be repaired, because the parts are power-pressed into each other, so in taking the corroded part out, the razor would be destroyed. However, it should not influence the shave, and will not be visible from outside.
Sorry for not being able to give you a more favorable reply."

The razor still shaves great but it'is no looker.

I know Anne is only the messenger but that answer is terrible. Essentially they are saying they didn't manufacture it properly, they can't repair it, but it is still fit for its intended purpose so tough luck. I'm sorry but I can buy a $5 ugly duckling that shaves properly. I have two Merkurs but I don't think I'll own a third after reading that.

"The problem - according to the experts here at MERKUR - was caused by a too aggressive cleaning/decalcifying agent, or too long exposure to either one....However, it should not influence the shave, and will not be visible from outside. Sorry for not being able to give you a more favorable reply."

I bought these off B/S/T pretty much brand new, so aside from a quick dip in Barbicide(the same stuff barbers stick their hundred+ dollar scissors/tools into) occasionally, I have never treated these razors with anything but respect and love. Also, as the corrosion spreads on that top plate of the 37g, it will definitely affect the shave. Unless they are saying only the inside/underside of their razors corrode, and everything else doesn't.

Just got my response from Dovo:

Thank you very much for your email and the link to the photos. The corrosion your razors show is part of the normal wear and tear that occurs especially in areas with poor water quality and/or a high concentration of chemicals in the tap water.

I am sorry for not being able to give you more favorable news.

Best regards....

Except I have well water. No chemicals in my water save for carbon and iron. My water has only deposited things on surfaces, like my sinks, showers, glasses, etc... It has never etched them.

I didn't before, but I now have serious concerns over buying any further Merkur products. If they will corrode on contact with water, which you would assume a WET SHAVING product would be exposed to, then they are saying that these should never be used if we want to keep them performing well?

Last edited:

Thank you very much for your email and the link to the photos. The corrosion your razors show is part of the normal wear and tear that occurs especially in areas with poor water quality and/or a high concentration of chemicals in the tap water.

Best regards....

Except I have well water. No chemicals in my water save for carbon and iron. My water has only deposited things on surfaces, like my sinks, showers, glasses, etc... It has never etched them.

I didn't before, but I now have serious concerns over buying any further Merkur products. If they will corrode on contact with water, which you would assume a WET SHAVING product would be exposed to, then they are saying that these should never be used if we want to keep them performing well?

Did you contact Anne, she's helped many members over the years with their issues.
[email protected]

Thank you very much for your email and the link to the photos. The corrosion your razors show is part of the normal wear and tear that occurs with a Merkur razor.

Best regards....

Fixed.

- Peter

I've had some "bubbling" in the plating but nothing else as of yet. Considering some of the issues I seen in this thread, I'm thinking Merkur is not paying enough attention to QC. Unfortunate, as they are one of the few brands people entering wet shaving will be familiar with.

Did you contact Anne, she's helped many members over the years with their issues.
[email protected]

Yes, I did. I edited out her name just in case. Below is the email I sent:

Hello,

I have been a double edge safety razor shaver for awhile now. I started with Gillettes originally, but after being a member of BadgerAndBlade.com, I started to hear the wonders of Merkur razors, and acquired a few for myself as well as for my Father for a Fathers Day gift. As of late, though, the finish on both of my Merkurs(I use both a 37G Gold Slant Bar and a 38C Chrome Long Handled Barber Pole) has started to literally deteriorate. It started with tiny "bubbles", and have since grown. I took some photos, which can be seen here: http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/browseimages.php?do=searchresults&searchid=37498

Is there any way to have this repaired? I would love to be able to pass these onto my children, but as their condition gets worse, it doesn't seem like it would be possible. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

I'm really not sure how to respond. I'm a little upset I have paid so much and talked these razors up, and this is the outcome? Meanwhile, a $5 50 year old Gillette has no problem with the apparent acid that erupts from my sink. My lineup has changed little in the past few years.
full

Instead of the 12c, I now use a Gillette Ladies. I would expect the older cheaper razors to suffer the same fate as the newer more expensive ones. But they don't. I also gave my Dad a Merkur, sent the 12c to my friend who has decided she wants to DE shave, and just purchased a 39c,34c, and a mustache razor. That's almost $200 in new razors, and this is what I have to look forward to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom