What's new

A thread that isn't really about "Opinions on Lilac Vegetal scent"

The Veg is like mid century modern furniture or an 80's mustang or windbreaker jackets. It's a historical thing that is very dated, but some people still like it, but the general population has moved on.

I have a bottle at home I decanted, and I would absolutely be lying if I said it was my favorite aftershave and I use it often. That being said, I do like it and I do use it occasionally, and I appreciate it's history, but it's very hard for a 30 year old dude to splash it on and wear it in public and not get some genuinely funny looks.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you see older (pre 1980) fragrance bottles from British perfumers like Floris or Trumper's they are always labeled "Toilet Water." The term long predates the flush toilet. Shaving and bathing were known as "toilet" activities for ages. I think using the French term for toilet water was an attempt at creating distance between the flush toilet and fragrance, particularly in the minds of Americans.
"USA! USA'"

If you see older (pre 1980) fragrance bottles from British perfumers like Floris or Trumper's they are always labeled "Toilet Water." The term long predates the flush toilet. Shaving and bathing were known as "toilet" activities for ages. I think using the French term for toilet water was an attempt at creating distance between the flush toilet and fragrance, particularly in the minds of Americans.
"USA! USA'"
Oh sure, like the Americans are the uncivilized ones.

Didn't the Europeans have flatulent medieval jesters for entertainment?

Now tell me which one sounds more civilized?

They really had to work at coming up with that term.

I must say this, this thread made me laugh so hard, I didn't read it all but so many comments were hilarious. It almost, saying almost, makes me want to try and get some just to see what it smells like. At the same time, it seems to be both an aftershave and a bio weapon so this seems to be a versatile product!

Last edited:
I must say this, this thread made me laugh so hard, I didn't read it all but so many comments were hilarious. It almost, saying almost, makes me want to try and get some just to see what it smells like. At the same time, it seems to be both an aftershave and a bio weapon so this seems to be a versatile product!

Put some in a super soaker and you have a home defense weapon and rodent repellent all in one handy contraption!!!

E3E1F1A9C8324CCAA1F1BA75209C39A1.jpg

I must say this thread has made me revisit an old experiment of mine.

The veg come from clubman in a plastic bottle. It has been said that transferring to a glass bottle makes a positive difference.

It has been two years since I have transferred half of the plastic bottle to a empty Cholula bottle. I decided to take them both out and give them a whiff tonight.

The glass Cholula bottle 100% makes a huge difference, zero doubt in my mind. The veg had a powdery, floral, spring like fragrance and it kept me coming back for more whiffs.

The veg in the plastic, well, you've all read the jokes here. One whiff was enough.

Tomorrow I will try the veg out of the glass to see how it smells during dry down.

But I can 100% confidently inform all the gentleman here that glass does improve things. Tested and verified.

Wether or not it is worth it to transfer a $7 aftershave to a glass bottle and let it sit for two years to be useable? Well, that's up to the individual

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I must say this thread has made me revisit an old experiment of mine.

The veg come from clubman in a plastic bottle. It has been said that transferring to a glass bottle makes a positive difference.

It has been two years since I have transferred half of the plastic bottle to a empty Cholula bottle. I decided to take them both out and give them a whiff tonight.

The glass Cholula bottle 100% makes a huge difference, zero doubt in my mind. The veg had a powdery, floral, spring like fragrance and it kept me coming back for more whiffs.

The veg in the plastic, well, you've all read the jokes here. One whiff was enough.

Tomorrow I will try the veg out of the glass to see how it smells during dry down.

But I can 100% confidently inform all the gentleman here that glass does improve things. Tested and verified.

Wether or not it is worth it to transfer a $7 aftershave to a glass bottle and let it sit for two years to be useable? Well, that's up to the individual
+1000 points for decanting it in a Cholula bottle. Just sayin'.

Perhaps there is a chance for the Veg to perform. I'm still dubious, but a couple years in a hot sauce bottle likely hides a lot of crimes.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It ain't like this. If you think it is, I don't feel animosity towards you, just sadness.
It's not the Veg that is bad, regretfully, it's you.
Nature has provided a physical chemical cocktail in your body which reacts poorly with the amazing Lilac Vegetal.
Don't blame the messenger for your chemical deficiencies.

OK. I'll ask. How, pray tell, do you know?
Standing beside the corral fence of a massive male African black rhinoceros, Upejani. Looking elsewhere, and thinking vaguely if I recall that he was facing away from me and therefore not a threat. The stream caught me about mid-calf, drenching socks and shoes. And me. Pals were Immediately consumed with uncontrollable hilarity. It was hot, the day and the deluge. And did not smell like the Veg. At all. Shoes and socks were consigned to the nether regions, beyond washing, and I was occupied with abrasive ablutions for a number of days before humans would stand in close proximity without a...look. Lady rhinos, however, found me apparently irresistible, although I managed to control my passion and consequently avoid being trampled to death. It was not a time in my life that I recall fondly, although no rhinos were injured in the making of this memory. :whistling:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Standing beside the corral fence of a massive male African black rhinoceros, Upejani. Looking elsewhere, and thinking vaguely if I recall that he was facing away from me and therefore not a threat. The stream caught me about mid-calf, drenching socks and shoes. And me. Pals were Immediately consumed with uncontrollable hilarity. It was hot, the day and the deluge. And did not smell like the Veg. At all. Shoes and socks were consigned to the nether regions, beyond washing, and I was occupied with abrasive ablutions for a number of days before humans would stand in close proximity without a...look. Lady rhinos, however, found me apparently irresistible, although I managed to control my passion and consequently avoid being trampled to death. It was not a time in my life that I recall fondly, although no rhinos were injured in the making of this memory. :whistling:
Wow. That is truly unfortunate and I apologize for dredging up the memory and re-traumitizing you. Rhino urine is now off the table for jest as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom