What's new

Potentially Bad News About Taylor of Old Bond St. #74's

Gents, recently I took advantage of a clearance sale on Taylor's #74 colognes. I bought both Traditional and Victorian Lime for $19.00 apiece. A superb deal to be sure. Classic had the package to me in no time and I eagerly opened it up since I had been out of both scents for some months now. When I pulled the boxes out I immediately became uneasy. They are bottled in the same style glassware as their other fragrances and aftershaves. A nice looking, understated square shouldered bottle that serves the purpose but is hardly exciting. Both versions were bottle this way. Immediately I had visions of secret reformulations and whatnot. Well luckily the juice inside smells the same as the old stuff. I would say completely identical. So I was happy but something nagged me about it.

I went over to Taylor's site, which is all new btw and VERY modern looking, and could find only one reference to #74 on the entire site. It was simply called "Victorian Lime Fragrance". Huh? Where's the a/s splash or the cologne? Where's the Traditional option? Where's the hair lotion? Nowhere. It is not to be found on Taylor's site as we speak. I in a bit of a huff I started contacting my trusted vendors. Most were vaguely aware of the repackaging but this had caught them by surprise. One vendor told me Taylor was doing away with a/s and cologne in the Victorian Lime scent in favour of a combination product called 'fragrance'. I did not really get a mention of whether the Traditional scent was still being made or whether it is gone. At this point I don't think anyone but Taylor actually knows. I went to Taylor's web site and could not find Traditional in any form including the hair lotion.

This could be a potential kick in the gut for me. Victorian Lime is a favoutite of many on shave forums and for good reason. It is about the best lime fragrance around and has some staying power. Traditional is another animal and many do not like it because of the heady floral notes. I actually kind of avoided this scent for years because I was convinced it was some sickly sweet, grandma smelling fragrance that my fourth grade teacher would have worn. And too much of it as well. Well perish the thought. This is the scent Lilac Vegetal wishes it could be......ducking for cover but not backing off the statement. Yes is it floral up front. Yes it is sweet but not over the top. What I like is that it dries down and mellows very quickly and exudes a dry floral and soapy quality that has always gotten me top compliments from my wife. And now it is potentially changed or gone.

I need to reiterate something; As of this point only Taylor really knows what is what and in typical British toiletry house fashion, i am being met with crickets concerning my email to them about this situation. So I cannot say anything with certainty reformulation or repackaging. I can say this. My bottles were clearly labelled 'cologne'. They are in bottles and boxes the same size the rest of Taylor's line. And last but not least? I contacted each of my favourite vendors til I found a bottle each of #74 Traditional in both a/s splash and hair lotion. If the scents survive intact in these new fragrance versions I will be happy as is possible and decant into my classic style bottles. Those bottles will be sorely missed. One of the best parts of the line.

Update; As I expected, not a word from Taylor. I also started calling around to vendors and checking inventory. I managed a bottle each of the Traditonal hair lotion and aftershave splash from Bullgoose. I also bagged the last old style bottle of a/s from QEDusa. The hair lotion smells exactly like the a/s and cologne. The a/s from Bullgoose is in the square type bottle but is exactly the same in contents. Smells exactly the same. I am going to decant it into my empty Traditonal a/s bottle. Between the two vendors I have two full, old style bottles of the a/s and a bottle of the hair lotion w/o oil. So I will be set for a number of years.

I still don't know what to make of the Victorian Lime 'fragrance' that is now being delivered to vendors. I have not smelled it but hope it is the same. I am guessing it is and they are just belt tightening by making one product instead of a/s and cologne. Phil at Bullgoose hazarded it was somewhere in between the strength of a/s and cologne but for me, I could never tell the difference between them in Taylor's lineup. All their splashes seem the same strength as cologne to me. So if I need more VL I will order one and try it. I was more concerned about losing the chance at the Traditional scent since I still don't see it listed at Taylor. Look at me. Ten years plus some at this traditional shaving and I still get caught up in the better-stock-up-before-it's-too-late game. There really is nothing like Traditional out there from other vendors as far as I know. So if you want some of the aftershave you'd best be finding it fast.

Update; As I expected, not a word from Taylor. I also started calling around to vendors and checking inventory. I managed a bottle each of the Traditonal hair lotion and aftershave splash from Bullgoose. I also bagged the last old style bottle of a/s from QEDusa. The hair lotion smells exactly like the a/s and cologne. The a/s from Bullgoose is in the square type bottle but is exactly the same in contents. Smells exactly the same. I am going to decant it into my empty Traditonal a/s bottle. Between the two vendors I have two full, old style bottles of the a/s and a bottle of the hair lotion w/o oil. So I will be set for a number of years.

I still don't know what to make of the Victorian Lime 'fragrance' that is now being delivered to vendors. I have not smelled it but hope it is the same. I am guessing it is and they are just belt tightening by making one product instead of a/s and cologne. Phil at Bullgoose hazarded it was somewhere in between the strength of a/s and cologne but for me, I could never tell the difference between them in Taylor's lineup. All their splashes seem the same strength as cologne to me. So if I need more VL I will order one and try it. I was more concerned about losing the chance at the Traditional scent since I still don't see it listed at Taylor. Look at me. Ten years plus some at this traditional shaving and I still get caught up in the better-stock-up-before-it's-too-late game. There really is nothing like Traditional out there from other vendors as far as I know. So if you want some of the aftershave you'd best be finding it fast.

Some time ago I contacted their head office in London, I was informed it's being made 50% strength due to eu regulations, however none of the ingredients was on the restricted eu list, if the truth be told it was watered down due to low sales and the typical what every company in the UK say blame it on eu rules. Sorry it's tobs penny pinching saving money. I was lucky to buy the green 74 before they watered it down. Unfortunately I won't buy a product pay more and get half strength, a few people brought this to tobs attention tobs just went interested. I think most companies will save a buck if they can get away with it and make lame excuses.

Top Bottom