What's new

A thread that isn't really about "Opinions on Lilac Vegetal scent"

When I was a freshman at Michigan State University, a few decades ago, I had a job that required me to work in some of the greenhouses. When they were very actively growing plants that were not blooming, the greenery had a very distinct odor. Especially when freshly pruned. I can remember it like I was there yesterday. That is what I see as the vegetal aspect of the splash. Some folks really disagree with this odor, I believe. I love it.

The Veg reminds me of that odor mixed with a very true lilac smell. If you ever stood downwind of a large blooming lilac tree on a warm humid day, it is a potent odor. LV does not have the weaker, sweeter lilac scent that most perfumes use. Unfortunately, lilac being such a potent naturally occurring scent, it is used in a lot of industrial cleaners and deodorants. Some folks make this connection naturally and it can turn people off when first applied.

The powdery long lasting drydown retains some lilac scent, but loses the greener vegetal aspect in my opinion. The first half hour after applying is not liked by some people for various reasons and the drydown is a little more acceptable but too feminine in general for others. But hey, John Wayne used it, so…..

I don’t really buy into people’s body reacting to the Veg positively or negatively really, maybe a little, but not really enough to make it so polarizing. That’s just my guess.

Best Wishes!

On a serious note, I found this vintage bottle on the auction site a few months ago about 3/4 full. When I first used it I was surprised how different it was compared to the current stuff. It is a softer clean smell and is very pleasant and not overbearing at all. I’d say quite a bit more refined. The vintage also renders a more pure lilac essence while the modern stuff at first whiff seems to make my nose hairs stiffen like sniffing ammonia. The new stuff does dry down to something exceptable: the vintage is good at first splash, but fades very quickly and very little lingers. It’s great while it lasts. Also as you can see the old stuff has just a slight tint, while the contemporary lotion is a much darker green-yellow.

I always enjoyed lilac vegetal on occasion, but I really like this old stuff to the point of putting it in my regular rotation. Having an affinity for using vintage aftershaves, soaps and hardware, this vintage vegetal is part of what makes this hobby appealing. I’ve recanted some new lotion into an old glass bottle hoping it will egual the old someday. image.jpg

On a serious note, I found this vintage bottle on the auction site a few months ago about 3/4 full. When I first used it I was surprised how different it was compared to the current stuff. It is a softer clean smell and is very pleasant and not overbearing at all. I’d say quite a bit more refined. The vintage also renders a more pure lilac essence while the modern stuff at first whiff seems to make my nose hairs stiffen like sniffing ammonia. The new stuff does dry down to something exceptable: the vintage is good at first splash, but fades very quickly and very little lingers. It’s great while it lasts. Also as you can see the old stuff has just a slight tint, while the contemporary lotion is a much darker green-yellow.

I always enjoyed lilac vegetal on occasion, but I really like this old stuff to the point of putting it in my regular rotation. Having an affinity for using vintage aftershaves, soaps and hardware, this vintage vegetal is part of what makes this hobby appealing. I’ve recanted some new lotion into an old glass bottle hoping it will egual the old someday.View attachment 1601235
I have noticed the same thing with vintage when I can get my hands on it. It’s very hard to find compared to other vintage aftershaves in my experience. It is more refined. I believe the company making it back then spent a bit more time and expense making it. They do both dry down to a similar scent. Congratulations on the beautiful bottle of vintage! I am jealous.

I bought the small bottle just to try it after reading about it. The scent was unmistakable. Reminded me of childhood vacations, when we would pull into a truck stop off the highway. White gas station with the restrooms on the outside of the building. You had to go in to the attendant and get the key hay-bale-wired to a board. You unlock the door and walk in. And there it was. The scent of Lilac Vegetal. I didn't know it then. To me, I just thought it was the stink of the restroom, never cleaned since the 1960s. My nose curled up, and I just tried to go as fast as I could, so I could get out of there, hoping the stench didn't stick to me or soak into my clothes.

So 1970s highway rest stop bathroom stench, bottled, so that someone can splash it on his face. For some unfathomable reason. Olfactory failure? We'll never know.

The Veg does not smell like cut greenery. I saw a video where I rhino doused a hyena with the veg. It wasn't pleasant for the hyena.
Although the hyena may have preferred the alternative (A rhino can pee backwards upwards of 15 feet. And all things considered, it does not smell like cat pee. Remotely. Ask me how I know.), there may be some things, I hesitate to say, that might be less desirable to be covered with than the Veg.

Although the hyena may have preferred the alternative (A rhino can pee backwards upwards of 15 feet. And all things considered, it does not smell like cat pee. Remotely. Ask me how I know.), there may be some things, I hesitate to say, that might be less desirable to be covered with than the Veg.
Off hand I can't think of any. :lol1:

it does not smell like cat pee. Remotely.
36 years ago, I was sent to the vet to retrieve a newly neutered 16 lb Siamese tomcat. The vet suggested I walk the cat around the grassy area outside for a bit to allow the tom to vent his frustration.
I thought that I allowed enough time for all such ventrification to be concluded.
In the 12 mile trip to his home, there were snarls and low growls more fitting a mountain lion, and a series of projectile mistings that brought new clarity to me on the morality of agent orange. My arm was soaked, the seat and the console were soaked, and the stench was unlike anything I've ever smelled.

I owned that truck for 12 more years simply because it could not be sold.

If I were to take Lilac Vegetal and empty the entire bottle in my current vehicle, it would sell in a heartbeat - to one of the many "chosen" ones.

36 years ago, I was sent to the vet to retrieve a newly neutered 16 lb Siamese tomcat. The vet suggested I walk the cat around the grassy area outside for a bit to allow the tom to vent his frustration.
I thought that I allowed enough time for all such ventrification to be concluded.
In the 12 mile trip to his home, there were snarls and low growls more fitting a mountain lion, and a series of projectile mistings that brought new clarity to me on the morality of agent orange. My arm was soaked, the seat and the console were soaked, and the stench was unlike anything I've ever smelled.

I owned that truck for 12 more years simply because it could not be sold.

If I were to take Lilac Vegetal and empty the entire bottle in my current vehicle, it would sell in a heartbeat - to one of the many "chosen" ones.
Imagine, if you will, that trip with a 3,000 pound male rhino. Just for the projectile misting, of course. Not that the ventrification part wouldn't be interesting too. :001_tongu

Top Bottom