What's new

What Was The Number One Song On the Day You Were Born?

I was born in January 1967, the UK number one was Green Green Grass Of Home, by Thomas John Woodward, better known as Tom Jones. As a University student I coincidentally lived about 50 yards away from the house where Tom Jones was born.
My Mother's friend Majorie lived two doors up from us when I lived in Ramsgate, Kent in the 1970's -80's.

Her husband Danny, a great man, had been in the mines most of his life postwar, after surviving the sinking of the HMS Edinburgh in the Sea of Murmansk, the cruiser that was carrying the Soviet gold reserves away to Britain in 1942, and then serving on the battleship HMS Nelson.

Oddly Ramsgate had a large Welsh mining community, who appeared to have been bought to East Kent when the new coalfields were opened up beginning in the 1920's to the 1950's. Something about ringleaders of the general strike of 1924 being brought to Kent. Sounded rather too conspiritorial to me.

She knew the Woodward family well. Thomas John she said, was known as the 'Ram of the valley'

Shocking stuff.

Last edited:
Great thread, @Alum Ladd !

C8B84150-2353-4B9E-8B25-4960631114E5.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Mine was Peter Sarstedt, Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)? He was keeping Marvin Gaye’s I Heard It Through The Grapevine off number one in the UK. That’s March, 1969.
As a student I used to busk in Cardiff city centre, playing guitar and bongos, to make beer money. I knew only two songs, "Marie's the name of his latest flame" by Elvis, and "Where do you go to (my lovely)?". I sang and played them both over and over for hours, every weekend, for months, until I added more songs to the repertoire. I must have driven the locals mad 🤣 The lyrics of the Sarstedt number are just fantastic.

Top Bottom