What's new

January 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in with a great shave last night!

E5E8F389-1C1A-45AB-8E1D-6D73F1A1E75F.jpeg

Date
365 days of shaving26/365 (100%)
GRUYERE26/365 (100%)
GRUME January26/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participations-

Passes2.5
WXTGN-S cheeks and neck
XWTGL:W-E
R:E-W
Neck: S-N
ATG
Cheeks and neck S-N

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Old Type Thick Cap with Lasta Red handleFeather (5)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Haslinger Sandelholz
Mostly bowl lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
8.5/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in - end of the month period's are the hardest for me personally. I have some urges towards getting a Gillette NEW Short Comb, but fortunately prices to get it to Europe are keeping me in restraint! And I don't need - really don't need - another razor. Other than that I think we are doing very well, both individually and as a group. Keep it up brothers!

I was looking forward to today's shave in experiencing a supposedly aggressive razor with a very sharp blade. But perhaps a Feather going on 5 shaves might not be as sharp anymore - or was it?! Quite some stubble to take down (signalling that yesterday's shave was great, but the Eddison is less effective on my beard longer term) and even after the first pass I could have gone out the door with a perfectly fitting CCS level result. Second pass took the rest down and the ATG on the cheeks gave me marble skin. Simply a delightful shave. :001_wub:

ETHOS,...SECOND THOUGHTS

PXL_20230125_160829547.jpg

Timeless Ti .68
Gillette Platinum
Simpson T3
Ethos Melange d'agrumes

A couple weeks ago, (on the day I caused the double column problem on three threads :blushing: ), I compared this Ethos soap with the TOBS Grapefruit.

Today, I am questioning my earlier comments. I discovered Ethos is a VERY THIRSTY soap. In my previous comparison, I am certain I did not add enough hydration to the lather. Today, the scent was a little subtle but still present after two passes. What I noticed the most was how slick, smooth and creamy the lather was. Performance now rises to the top of the class.

Since I am now learning how to use a straight razor, I have been making my lathers even more hydrated-kinda testing the limits before the lather structurally starts to break down.
Today experience was a MFS-Mighty Fine Shave. This is a great hobby!

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Last edited:
The February thread is up:

Remember: the shortest month is not the easiest month...

Still out 😎

The good news: no craving at all. Maybe you were worried I got caught by the frenzy again after buying the gilded Swing, but nope. Was hunting for an extra metal detector, but nothing shave wise.
Been real busy, so no pics of the 16th and 17th shave with my sweet Prismatic.
Shave 16 was with a Nacet (can't understand I said I only like platinum) and it took care of a four day stubble with no effort at all.
Shave 17 made me understand why Treet named their very nice blade "7 Days". This must be because their platinum lost its initial smoothness after my beard shave and a small part of my head shave. After that it became an instrument of torture, resulting in three weepers. I rarely bleed, so I think it is safe to blame the Treet. I suggest they call this specimen "Treet 1 Day".

Take care, brethren ☝🏽

Top Bottom