BBS
R41 GTS, dark blue Platinum (1), Beagle Fan
DD90A116-4795-47E7-8ED3-F48865AB32D5.jpeg

Soap: Tabac Original (tallow)
Brush: TGN 24mm Finest Fan knot in a Grosvenor handle
Razor: DE89
Blade: Astra SP
Aftershave: The Body Shop Maca Root Razor relief

Autopilot early morning shave. No time for pics. I noticed a bit of tightness after the shave and before applying aftershave balm. I believe Tabac is a bit drying for the skin. I wonder if anyone else found it drying.
Excellent slickness and cushioning, otherwise.

30/31 GRUMER, day 27
Tobactober
OC-tober

PXL_20221027_144457538.jpg

Gillette "Old Type OC, I think?"
Feather Platinum (6)
Brushworx G5C
Tallow-Tabac

Hey Guys
I notice other OC-toberites in our midst so I decided to post in their thread today.
I started out the shave more-so riding the guard but quickly got better results riding the cap a bit on the first pass.
On the second and touch-up passes, I "did the slide" diagonally to the left and the right and started riding the guard.
The shave was comfortable. I don't get technical concerning the outcome but it would probably rate as a DFS+.

GRUME 15 of 16
SOTM 15 of 16
Tabactober 15 of 16

Razor: Merkur 34 HD C
Blade: Rubie (1)
Soap: Tabac Tallow
Brush: Boar brush Proraso
AS: Clubman pinaud + Nivea balm

The end of the month is near, first time using this blade, the shave went smoothly yet a tad of post shave irritation. Lets see how that blade behave in the next few shaves. One more in October and then a new soap / cream will be used. One thing for sure those 15 shave barely put a dent on the brand new soap and it was new . This will take a few month to see the bottom ... there is always next year I guess.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
CAF6C935-6CE0-4EDD-A105-3D4BB0448979.jpeg

Tabactober shave number 28 this morning. Still using Tallow Tabac soap. Today I used a vintage Vulfix Pure Bristle brush and it whipped up a very good lather. Still using a Flat Bottom Tech and an Israeli Eddison Stainless blade. A pretty good shave but the blade seemed to struggle today ATG. Shaving WTG and XTG it was fine so it might me on its way out.

Tabactober/OCtober the Seventh
RazoRock Lupo 95 OC, Wee Scot, Tabac, Captains Choice Bay Rum aftershave

Second chance for this Timor, kept it to two passes and went with maximum carefuling, still ended up with some irritation. Had to call upon the services of the good Captain's finest to sort it out in the afters.

I'll give it two chances in my Tradere OC next, but it's not looking good.

30/31 GRUME, day 28
Tabactober

"Our 5 Year Anniversary"

PXL_20221028_152330589.jpg

Schick Korona
Feather Platinum (7)
Muhle X-Large STF
Tallow-Tabac

Hey Guys
Today is very special! Kathy and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary...we still consider ourselves as newlyweds.
On our first date and on our wedding day and again today we are going to a special restaurant called Trapps overlooking the Ouachita River. It has been over a year since we have gone to a theater so later this afternoon, we're going to see a movie.
Tonight it is champagne.

As to the shave, the Muhle brush is a big winner. I spent extra time "playing" with the lather on my face because it felt so soft and enjoyable.

Soap: Tabac Original (tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 2 band
Razor: DE89
Blade: Astra SP
Aftershave: The Body Shop Maca Root Razor relief

The end of this challenge is fast approaching. Looking forward to its completion and to reading feedback from everyone who participated. I learned a few things for sure.

Still in.

Every once in a while some razor makes me trip, humbling me. This time the Yaqi Telstar took my scalp. I still have no clue why. I thought to use it loaded with one of my favored blades, the Med Prep. Never, ever has it let me down. The beard shave was effective but un-smooth. Uncomfortable even. I thought: maybe this US blade and Chinese razor dislike each other. No problemo, I'll load a Ruskie, sharing communist roots etc.
So I loaded a Gilette Rubie, first use for me. Because the head shave started uncomfortable too, I took short strokes. Uncomfy, but very close. I could't find a comfortable angle. But when I shave the back of my head, the right angle is always crucial. So the Telstar delivered five nicks.
Since I rarely nick despite my choice of razors, I was very, very, very frustrated. With the razor (uhu), the blades (uhu) and Jack Goossen (rightly so).
Now I keep thinking how to tame this .... thing. One member advises a steep angle, another thinks I should try a shallow angle.
Anyway... you'd think I had suffered enough. Euhmmm.... nope. This morning I cleaned the... thing to look nice and shiny on the picture below. It slashed my finger. Guess what finger. Yup. My middle finger. Seems this Telstar... thing does not like me.
But I WILL tame it.
Your support and tips would be highly appreciated, brethren 👍🏼

4906F4B1-F2EB-4A47-9D7B-AF05D24F13C2.jpeg

Sad to hear it bit you multiple times @Jack Goossen - I don’t have this razor and so I can only comment on what I see and read about it, but from the look of it the design appears to asking for something 30+ to 45 degree angle (I watched a guy shave his head with the Telstar. Yep did that especially for you). But definitely more than 30.

The problem however is that I also read postings on the Game Changer that a more shallow angle might do the trick. I see others in videos using the same steeper angle.

What angle did you use with the Flatboy? Because that razor also has a sort of weird safety bar / blade design similar to what I am seeing here (less the absolutely flat design obviously). Maybe that angle can work for the Telstar as well.

And as for blades - you might want to use a sharper blade maybe a Nacet. Sound counterintuitive, but if the razor is tuggy (which I read more gents feel the same way as you do) a sharper blade might release some of that feel helping you find a better angle (because maybe - I am speculating here - your micro muscle avoided the tugging sensation which in turn resulted in a bit so great angle for the razor itself).

Heal quickly my friend.

Guido

Top Bottom