What's new

Favorite Books from your childhood.

Little Golden Books with spines that stood out on the shelf, oh take me back! For me the series that brings the most nostalgia is the Children's Illustrated Classics, lots of N.C. Wyeth.

I remember some series of books with Space Cadet in the title. Possibly Tom Corbett space cadet, but it does not look quite right to me. I think something from there was the first full length book I ever read, and I was very young. Maybe even the second grade. I also remember reading a lot of Sherlock Holmes starting with the Hound of the Baskervilles. Also very young. Maybe third or fourth grade--I wonder if that can really be. The book was very heavy going for me, but I got through it and loved it. I remember reading Little Men and Little Women fairly early, and some Hardy Boys and some Nancy Drew. I think I found Hardy Boys pretty weak and Nancy Drew not to my taste. There must have been other sci-fi in there. I remember a Daniel Boone book. I was a pretty good little reader, I guess. I think I was reading Ian Fleming in the 7th grade and utterly devoured that series over not that many months. I remember trying to read Perry Mason, but could not get through it. I read The Carpetbaggers fairly early, probably not until intermediate school, I do not know if that counts as childhood. That was rather Herculean.

The. Best.

proxy.php

Beverly Cleary books in general. But especially The Mouse and the Motorcycle.
Encyclopedia Brown series
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing

Beverly Cleary is huge in Grant Park/NE Portland Oregon. Namesake of the K-8 school, big display in the library, bronze statues of Ramona, Henry, and the dog in the park. I gave my kids the full dose when I was choosing the books we read aloud. Her autobiographies are worth reading, too.

I was a big fan of Comics and Comic Annuals. I also read various Biggles and Tarzan - The Children of the New Forest - Wulf the Saxon- Kidnapped - Treasure Island - A Christmas Carol and Oliver Twist.
I’ve reread Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol, and Oliver Twist led me to ’London Labour and the London Poor’ a few years later, and a fascinating insight into poverty in 19th century London.

I loved Enid Blyton books when I was younger- The Faraway Tree series especially.

The Hardy Boys.
Willard Price adventure series with the two brothers.
The Three Investigators.

Read recently that Congress passed a law in 2008 banning many children's books printed before 1985 from being resold, due to lead in the ink. Funny that all our pre-1985 books never harmed our kids, grandkids and great-grand kid. If the intent was to keep kids stupid, and easier to indoctrinate. It seems to be working.

Read recently that Congress passed a law in 2008 banning many children's books printed before 1985 from being resold, due to lead in the ink. Funny that all our pre-1985 books never harmed our kids, grandkids and great-grand kid. If the intent was to keep kids stupid, and easier to indoctrinate. It seems to be working.

That's another way of realizing the agenda conceived in George Orwell's 1984. After reading it for perhaps the sixth time, I just held a lecture on the relevance of 1984 for today's world. I'm still surprised at how good it came over.

I hadn't thought about this subject in years, but when I did, I found a minty copy (better than the photo) on amazon for about $100 and got it! What a sentimental journey!

BERTRAM AND THE TICKLISH RHINOCEROS. I remember rolling with laughter at the adventures of young Bertram and his short-tempered rhinoceros who had the whole family sitting on the roof of the house while the rhino calmed down. My mom and dad would roll their eyes when I asked them to read Bertram for me again while I looked at the cool pictures! This was in the mid-1950s.

Attachments

• Bertram.jpg
    Bertram.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom