What's new

Favorite Books from your childhood.

Emil and the Detectives and also Homer Price
+1 Homer Price!
proxy.php

I was and still am a voracious reader.
  • any science fiction - Started out with Jules Verne and went on from there...
  • J.R.R Tolkien was and is a big favorite.
  • The Hardy Boys
  • Tom Swift - The novels about his dad and those about the son
  • John Steinbeck's books were all read
  • My dad was reading Hemingway so I did too...
  • John le Carré
  • Frank Herbert
  • and the list goes on forever...

Beverly Cleary books in general. But especially The Mouse and the Motorcycle.
Encyclopedia Brown series
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing
Big fan of the Encylopedia Brown series and still enjoy the solve-it-yourself mysteries, short or long form.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I discovered Ray Bradbury at 11 years old. I think I read "R is for Rocket" first, then burned through the other 14 books our library had from Mr. Bradbury.
Love Bradbury. I have tried several Asimov’s- just can’t fight through them.

I consider anybody under thirty to be a child, so at that age I was into Russian literature and my favourite books were Dostoevsky’s The Idiot and Crime And Punishment. I recall I was also very moved by The Diaries Of Vaslav Nijinsky, which are a beatifully chronicled descent into insanity. Several of the books of Jack Kerouac and the short stories of Ernest Hemingway were important to me too. Brian Aldiss’ Helliconia Spring, Summer and Winter sci-fi / fantasy novels were epic too.

If you’re thinking more pre- or early teens then it would be Tolkein’s Lord Of The Rings or Douglas Adams’ Hitchhikers’ Guide To The Galaxy trilogy of, I dunno, seven books?

Under ten years old it was The Big Book Of Secrets by Gyles Brandreth, so I could acquire all the skills and techniques of a successful spy. I also read a lot of books about astronomy because in those days, when there was far less pollution, the night sky was incredibly beautiful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom