What's new

Aggresiveness

I've been using the Merkur 34C for about 5 years and love it. That said, I would like to try another DE that is a bit more on the aggressive side (maybe a slant) just for the experience.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
jb

May I suggest a Parker 94R. Great razor and not too aggressive. It has a larger blade gap. You can get it on Amazon for about $28.00. It is a 3 piece razor.

parker.jpg

I've been using the Merkur 34C for about 5 years and love it. That said, I would like to try another DE that is a bit more on the aggressive side (maybe a slant) just for the experience.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
jb
Maybe the Fatip Open Comb Slant. That gets you an all-brass slant razor and an open comb razor all in one. It's not as aggressive at it looks. The price is nice, too.

Even after 13 years, I still keep going back to my Merkur 34G. It's so comfortable in my hand. Before switching razors, try a more aggressive blade. Experimenting with blades is cheaper than DE. IP reds and Astra SP were fine in my 34 when I shaved every two days. Being retired and shaving every 5-7 days since Covid, I've switched to a RR GameChanger .68. I found their original barberpole handle a bit too long, and recently bought their shorter, thick handle. I also switched to these sharper (but not Feather or yellow 7 O'clock sharp) blades.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
If you're looking for a mildly aggressive razor, you might think of getting a Rex Envoy. I really love mine. I've tried a number of blades in it from Derby Extras to Kai with no problems with weepers or irritation. It's built to last several generations, and the gripy knurling is second to none. :thumbsup:
The Rex Envoy and the Karve Brass SB-G are two excellent performance razors, especially for the money.

Both razors are in my Big Dogs Category. :)

"Mildly aggressive"? Does this mean something like "not too aggressive" or "somewhat aggressive but not excessively so"?
The Envoy is supposed to be equivalent to blade setting 3 on a Rex ambassador, which has 6 settings. So that would of course make it somewhere in the middle. I think a lot bloodshed that is blamed on either a particular razor or blade, is in many cases just poor technique. 🤔

If you love the 34C, the natural progression would be the 37C slant. You'll love it even more!
It's got the right amount of agressiveness that the 34C lacks. You'll essentially get a super smooth shave but with more efficiency. It's a fantastic razor that I've since put in the top 2 out of all my modern & vintage razors.
Check out this thread I made if you'd like. It's got information about the 37C. It was initially about the Hoffritz slant (vintage 37C) but it evolved to the actual 37C when I bought one a couple weeks ago:

Top Bottom