What's new

Have you tried the new Fine Bay Rum?

I recently bought some Fine Bay Rum after shave, and I am a bit disappointed. To me it does not smell like Bay Rum at all. Has anyone else tried this product? I would love to hear some other opinions on this aftershave. It smells like nutmeg to me.

Fine.jpg

Just to let you know I'm having issues with a couple of aftershaves as well; not much scent and I'd prefer not to mention their names to avoid negativity. I plan to give them to some poor unsuspecting soul who will probably appreciate them more that I. Be genereous with your unwanted stuff and do somehing nice for someone! Brighten their day. 8))

Just to let you know I'm having issues with a couple of aftershaves as well; not much scent and I'd prefer not to mention their names to avoid negativity. I plan to give them to some poor unsuspecting soul who will probably appreciate them more that I. Be genereous with your unwanted stuff and do somehing nice for someone! Brighten their day. 8))
I just picked up a replacement Aqua Velva Blue and there's practically nothing to smell.

Reactions: CCS
I just picked up a replacement Aqua Velva Blue and there's practically nothing to smell.
I remember back in the 1960s when my father, a retired CPO, applied Old Spice AS and I could smell the scent all the way across the house from the back end to the front. Not anymore with the new stuff. 8(( I really like Clubman and am giving WSP Barbershop AS a try and it has a deep, tobacco undertone that I think I can learn to appreciate.

Aren't their some classic, traditional bay rums still out there that smell like they should and like they did 50 years ago?

Captain's Choice is a nice Bay Rum.

View attachment 1521098
I like and own their copper shaving bowl but I believe they're another johnny come lately to things like bay rum. I'm thinking more along the lines like St. John's or the early manufacturers. I think my stepdad may have used Pinaud's back in the 60's but I don't really remember. Much as I liked the scent, I don't know that I've ever bought a bottle of bay rum.

BTW, this is not a knock on Scott or his company, I'm just thinking of the early makers. His bay rum might be superb for all I know. I like he answers his own emails.

The scent of the Fine Bay Rum is not bad, but it's not Bay Rum to me. It smells like nutmeg. I'm very disappointed in it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I like and own their copper shaving bowl but I believe they're another johnny come lately to things like bay rum. I'm thinking more along the lines like St. John's or the early manufacturers. I think my stepdad may have used Pinaud's back in the 60's but I don't really remember. Much as I liked the scent, I don't know that I've ever bought a bottle of bay rum.

BTW, this is not a knock on Scott or his company, I'm just thinking of the early makers. His bay rum might be superb for all I know. I like he answers his own emails.
I LOVE vintage Avon Bay Rum. Cappy Scott's Bay Rum is the closest I have ever come to recapturing that 60 year old gem of a scent. Buy a sample and see what you think. It's old skool stuff.

I LOVE vintage Avon Bay Rum. Cappy Scott's Bay Rum is the closest I have ever come to recapturing that 60 year old gem of a scent. Buy a sample and see what you think. It's old skool stuff.
I'm not a sample buyer but I'll give thought to a bottle unless they send out free samples.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm not a sample buyer but I'll give thought to a bottle unless they send out free samples.
Just next time you buy from him request a sample. No idea if he does it or not, give a specific sample, but can't see how he would say no. That man has been known to give out samples in excess of the price of the stuff you purchase. Incredible guy on here. Not nearly as handsome as I, but he's purtier on the inside than I am, where it really counts.

I never ordered a product from them other than the copper bowl and that was bought from a vendor (who did not include any samples). Not a big deal as I have way too much stuff anyway.

I never ordered a product from them other than the copper bowl and that was bought from a vendor (who did not include any samples). Not a big deal as I have way too much stuff anyway.
Maggard's has Fine samples. They come in little spray bottles. You can get a few applications out of them. They have not added the Fine bay rum to the samples yet.

I recently bought some Fine Bay Rum after shave, and I am a bit disappointed. To me it does not smell like Bay Rum at all. Has anyone else tried this product? I would love to hear some other opinions on this aftershave. It smells like nutmeg to me.
Yep, and I really like it. Smells just like Bay Rum to me. Looking forward to the release of the Shave Soap. Wonder if you got a bad bottle…which would also be odd as it is new. I would reach out to them and see if they can do a refund or a swap.

Top Bottom