What's new

Blutt plate decision

Blutt owners!

any reason to *not* get this razor with the most aggresive 1.20 plate?

based upon manufacturer’s descriptions, the 0.99 plate seems ideal to me.

But all (most?) accounts of this razor here in this forum, make me think the 1.20 is the way to go.

Context
I own a SS SB Blackbird and a Brass OC Blackbird. I find the SB bird to be smokth as silk. Whatever “blade feel” there is, it does not roun this razor’s comfort for me - and I get great shaves every time. The OC is a bit more harsh, need to be more attentive/ areful with use. Not as smooth/comfortable as the SB.

I also use a .95 Lupo SB. I like this razor also, but its not nearly as efficient as the SB/OC Birds. Descriptions here in this forum tout the Blutt as smother than the Blackbird, but just as if not more efficient. Whats not to like?

can anyone chime in and offer some advice? Are the Maker’s descriptions too conservative? Thanks…

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll be watching this thread. The Blutt BR-1 is at the top of my short list for the razor I'll purchase early next year, unless there are Christmas savings to be had.

I have both, and Blutt
IMG_20220822_132954.jpg
blade feel is significantly smaller, and at the same time a little less efficient, it is also an efficient razor

One of the other members, Mr. Shavington, has several razors which I also own. His advice to me was to get the 1.20. He found it to be very smooth and efficient as have various other members as well. My feeling is I will be getting a Blutt as well in the future and will be getting the 1.20.

I have the Blutt with 0.99 and 1.20 plates and if you like the Blackbird I think you would be disappointed with the 0.99 plate - it won’t be efficient enough for you. It doesn’t really feel any smoother than the 1.20 plate anyway. And if you wanted a milder feeling option I guess the 0.86 plate is a better choice than the 0.99 (I don’t have the 0.86 but it gets a lot of recommendations).

I know the Blutt website makes the 1.20 plate sound too aggressive - they say it’s for weekly shavers or something like that. It’s nonsense, the descriptions are written for people who haven’t used a DE razor, just to try and indicate that the higher gap plates are progressively more efficient.

Anyway, you will surely find the 1.20 plate is a lot smoother than the Blackbird. It is efficient enough but won’t be quite as efficient as the Blackbird. Compared to the Blackbird the 1.20 Blutt will feel like a more mild and comfortable razor, but it still should have enough efficiency to satisfy you.

The Blutt is excellent, by the way. With the 1.20 plate I find it to be the most comfortable high efficiency razor I’ve used (together with the Rocnel Sailor). And it is really nicely put together.

Last edited:
Seems like the 1.20 is the way to go. Been considering this razor as well. Love my Blackbird and can shave daily with it so I appreciate all the comparisons. Is the Blutt a steep or shallow shaver?

My thoughts are close to @Mr. Shavington about the 1.20.
The guys told me how nice the blade was held, and it feels that way to me.
Very smooth razor though not as efficient as I had hoped for.
Behind the Blackbird in efficiency, but nice.
I'm hoping they will come out with a step up from the 1.20.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My thoughts are close to @Mr. Shavington about the 1.20.
The guys told me how nice the blade was held, and it feels that way to me.
Very smooth razor though not as efficient as I had hoped for.
Behind the Blackbird in efficiency, but nice.
I'm hoping they will come out with a step up from the 1.20.
I have thought for some time, based on reading Blackbird SS and Ti posts, that the Blackbird is more than likely too efficient for me. @Mr. Shavington says the Blutt is one notch above my Claymore Evo in efficiency... so the 1.2 might be just perfect for me. I'm still vacillating about even buying a high end modern DE. One day, I'm sure I should... the next day, I think... what am I doing? I just love my Claymore Evo... and I have two very nice Vintage British Gillettes. I've only used one of them... the other is on the way.... a trade I worked out when I bought a 2 piece rather than a 3 piece, Raised Flat Bottom.

Anyway, if I order a Blutt BR-1, I suspect I'll get the 1.2... and hold off on the more mild base plate. I was going to buy an extra base plate to have the bases covered..... but I could get a whole RazoRock Lupo with an extra base plate for just the price of a .86.

Or.... by December, I might just love my Claymore E so much that I'm content. ;)

I have both, and highly recommend the 1.20. It doesn’t possess the efficiency or lightness of my Ti Bird but it is slightly smoother.

My opinion is actually get the Ti Bird, but if its the Blutt you’re after the 1.20 is the ticket. Blutt shaves well, but the Blackbird is special.

Of note, don’t expect the efficiency of the 1.20 to be that high, its not a high efficiency razor but it is medium aggressive. Think of Lupo 95 SB efficiency. Lower than Oc 95 Lupo. Smoothness slightly goes to the Blutt 1.20. My honest 2cents. Ymmv

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have both, and highly recommend the 1.20. It doesn’t possess the efficiency or lightness of my Ti Bird but it is slightly smoother.

My opinion is actually get the Ti Bird, but if its the Blutt you’re after the 1.20 is the ticket. Blutt shaves well, but the Blackbird is special.

Of note, don’t expect the efficiency of the 1.20 to be that high, its not a high efficiency razor but it is medium aggressive. Think of Lupo 95 SB efficiency. Lower than Oc 95 Lupo. Smoothness slightly goes to the Blutt 1.20. My honest 2cents. Ymmv
That actually sounds just about perfect for my face. It's posts like yours that convince me the Bird Ti just might be too much for my poor face.. oh, and poor technique. <Eg>

That isn't said in jest, exactly. I'm not sure a high efficiency razor would work for me. Truth be told, I don't really know what my baseline razor, the Claymore Evolution, is... Brian Mulreany calls it "mild but efficient". That has been my own experience, I think. So a step up, as @Mr. Shavington has suggested, would be the Blutt 1.2.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Cross posting this in Lambda Athena thread:

Has anyone who has used both the Blutt 1.20/0.99/0.86
and the Lambda Athena got any observations as to how they
might compare?

Thanks!
I know @Mr. Shavington has both. Perhaps he’ll be willing to post his personal efficiency ratings here. He has extensive knowledge on the topic.

Top Bottom