What's new

What are the worst DE razor(s) you've ever tried and why?

That's what it does on my chin. It does not feel good during the shave but I still haven't found me a razor that post shave left me bbs with no irritation as it does.

If I every find a razor that shaves that close without the tugging, I won't care what it costs.
Perhaps you should try the Razorine Flatboy. A lot of people compare the efficiency to the R41 which kept me away for reasons I've already stated...but I liked the looks and decided to try it. Well...nothing even remotely like my experiences with the R41 which were always bloody to say the least. It shaves close, comfortably, without irritation or cuts, weepers etc...for me. Very loud but in a fun kinda way. Excellent razor.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
+1! That razor just did not work for me either! (And I do understand than it has many fans.)

For me, the optimal combination is a ‘mild/moderate’ razor paired with a sharp blade!!
Because the R41 can be so tuggy, for me it pairs well with a Feather blade. Sharper blades make the shaving smoother with the R41, but also up the ante in the mistake department.

This one. It is very aggressive.
100_5272.JPG100_5273.JPG100_5274.JPG

I’ve had pretty good luck with razors over the years….no real absolute stinkers. The two that I just couldn’t deal with due to always getting irritation were the DE89 and Schone (Fatip clone).

Most others I’ve parted ways with were due to small dislikes but I didn’t hate them.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I thought the stock R41 was not a good razor. Lots of blade chatter and irritation. But once I started experimenting with different top caps on the R41, it became a great razor. The end result isn’t as good as my top tier razors. But it gives the most efficient first pass of any razor I’ve tried beside a straight. Super smooth and close. But the second and third passes don’t follow suit, and the shaves only get to a DFS result.

I'll chime in with a little bit of spin. The worst DE razor i ever used was without a a Fattip. I rarely ever had cuts or weepers unless I got distracted or was extremely careless. The first half dozen times I used this razor I was a bloody mess (slight exaggeration, but trust me. Blood was spilled.) Despite trying different blades, I continued to look like I was fighting angry cats after shaving. I tend to be stubborn type and refused to admit to myself that I had made a mistake in buying this razor and continued to use it. One day, the light came on. Don't know why or how, but now, nothing, but good shaves. So, my worst razor became one of my go tos. No meal to this story. Just my experience.
Was it very light pressure or different angle which was that difference?

I'll chime in with a little bit of spin. The worst DE razor i ever used was without a a Fattip. I rarely ever had cuts or weepers unless I got distracted or was extremely careless. The first half dozen times I used this razor I was a bloody mess (slight exaggeration, but trust me. Blood was spilled.) Despite trying different blades, I continued to look like I was fighting angry cats after shaving. I tend to be stubborn type and refused to admit to myself that I had made a mistake in buying this razor and continued to use it. One day, the light came on. Don't know why or how, but now, nothing, but good shaves. So, my worst razor became one of my go tos. No meal to this story. Just my experience.
Fatip's are my latest favorite razors (I've bought 4 in a span of 2 weeks).
Fantastic shave right out of the box whether I use an OC, SB or OC slant.
What I figure in your case was that your pressure & angle was off till you naturally figured it out.
They're in my top 3 in my rotation right now!
I wish I would have discovered them early on. It would have saved me a ton of money!

Perhaps you should try the Razorine Flatboy. A lot of people compare the efficiency to the R41 which kept me away for reasons I've already stated...but I liked the looks and decided to try it. Well...nothing even remotely like my experiences with the R41 which were always bloody to say the least. It shaves close, comfortably, without irritation or cuts, weepers etc...for me. Very loud but in a fun kinda way. Excellent razor.
Fabulous razor. Fun, loud and shaves very close.

In my case, it is the Mühle R89 with no hesitation. I was not shaved close at all, my skin was red & irritated, and the icing on the cake, with a lot of red points.
That thing made me stop traditional shaving during 6 years... (2013-2019) Such a nightmare, seriously !

Which is odd because the 3 pieces razors have always been my favourite ones. Maybe it is because of its blade exposure that doesn't suit me, i don't know... 🤔

After thinking about it I have only one more razor to add. The Blackland ERA with #5 plates in SB and OC. I could not get a close shave with either plate, and to my taste found it very uninspiring to look at. Kind of like kissing my sister.

I have both the Blackbird with the SB and OC plates and the Vector SB which are both great razors.

In the price range of the ERA, my Game Changer .84 SB and my Karve CB brass with various SB and OC plates offer me far better shaves.

Not that the razor is bad but major disappointment is Fatip Slant OC.

I love Fatips, love slants but can't manage to get a good shave from this razor.

For some reason it does not touch the hair in order to cut them properly in each stroke.

I can shave well with any of my more than 50 Safety Razors except this one .

Probably my fault, all other razors is automatic shaving. With this I must acquire some practice.

Not that the razor is bad but major disappointment is Fatip Slant OC.

I love Fatips, love slants but can't manage to get a good shave from this razor.

For some reason it does not touch the hair in order to cut them properly in each stroke.

I can shave well with any of my more than 50 Safety Razors except this one .

Probably my fault, all other razors is automatic shaving. With this I must acquire some practice.
I don't think it's your fault. The slant OC is my #3 out of the Fatip's I've tried. I see the same issue that you see with it. My best results are from the normal OC and second is the closed comb. The slant just doesn't do it for me in terms of the efficiency I seek. And it's strange because I have read so many people stating that it's the best out of the bunch. Another YMMV issue I guess!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I wish I would have discovered them early on. It would have saved me a ton of money!

I feel the same way about Wolfman Razors. It took me 100 plus razors before I got the confidence to pay for a Wolfman. If I had gotten one a few years sooner, it would have saved me from buying dozens and dozens of lessor razors. And saved me a lot of time and money.

After thinking about it I have only one more razor to add. The Blackland ERA with #5 plates in SB and OC. I could not get a close shave with either plate, and to my taste found it very uninspiring to look at. Kind of like kissing my sister.

I shaved with my ERA Level 5 SB the other day. Great razor. And I find the 3D printed aspect of that razor very inspiring. It’s a unique concept and it works for me. I get much closer and smoother shaves with the ERA than my Game Changers.

I feel the same way about Wolfman Razors. It took me 100 plus razors before I got the confidence to pay for a Wolfman. If I had gotten one a few years sooner, it would have saved me from buying dozens and dozens of lessor razors. And saved me a lot of time and money.
I would've saved more because a Fatip is only like $25, Lol!!
It would take me like 20 Fatip's to get to the cost of a Wolfman. But like you, I've even surpassed the cost of 1 Wolfman with everything I've bought so far.

The razor I had the worse experiences with was a Futur clone I got when I was returning to using a DE razor. (got it as part of a kit)

To be fair I'm not sure if the problem was more with me than the clone, I played with the adjustment dial to much. Also it never felt as maneuverable under the nose as other razors.

Maybe I'll give it another try one day now I feel more confident in my technique, but I don't think it will ever be one of my top choices.

Top Bottom