What's new

Fatip Storto messes up my GRUME

As most of you know, @FoolishMortal organises a GRUME each month. Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End. The idea behind it is to get out of the buying frenzy we sometimes get caught in. Or just a kind of sabbatical month, enjoying the razors, soaps, blades etcetera you already have. I highly recommend every members tries it, at least once.

Anyway: I participated a couple of times and did so this month. This month has turned out an excellent, easy and relaxing GRUME for me. Until I decided to use the boxed Fatip la Storto I acquired during my slant period, but never used.
To my horror the Fatip has a alignment issue. Before you think: that's normal with slants.... I have a couple of slants and am used to the crooked looking alignement as seen with the Fasan, for instance. This Fatip has a different issue. The blade exposure on one side is MUCH wider than on the other side. I thought I would give it a try and my fears turned out to be justified. One side is very aggressive (which I like), the other is mild as in MILD. I am very, very disappointed. This distorts my Zen.

Please have a look at the pictures, and tell me I got this all wrong.

4739C552-CDAE-45CA-B41C-EF5012984D70.jpeg
E7702B46-18AD-414C-BFC4-B9CDEB3D9CCB.jpeg
F76CACAC-C0B7-4FC3-AEDF-FE6A427FB4E4.jpeg
FA5DD486-E2EE-49A5-A86F-B5D2F7577A7F.jpeg

Can you try rotating the cap 180 degrees? Also, if you have not done this, load the blade by putting the cap upside down (posts pointing up). Drop the blade on the posts, then drop on the base plate and screw the handle down, keeping the razor "inverted" during this time. The blade should ride down the posts and center itself. It's better not to try to force alignment manually by eye with the slant. Of course, if the razor is defective, this may not work, but it has worked for quite a few people.

For the Fatip Slant, the blade edge should align with the base plate edges, not the cap edges. A number of people got concerned about that one.

Last edited:
Can you try rotating the cap 180 degrees? Also, if you have not done this, load the blade by putting the cap upside down (posts pointing up). Drop the blade on the posts, then drop on the base plate and screw the handle down, keeping the razor "inverted" during this time. The blade should ride down the posts and center itself. It's better not to try to force alignment manually by eye with the slant. Of course, if the razor is defective, this may not work, but it has worked for quite a few people.

For the Fatip Slant, the blade edge should align with the base plate edges, not the cap edges. A number of people got concerned about that one.
I tried that before the shave, and tried it again after reading your post, but it is still not as it should be. The side with the more exposed blade did offer an excellent shave, though. I might keep it for that reason, only using that side, and buy another La Storto, because I'm curious how it aught to shave.

@Jack Goossen take a look at this post by @Cal maybe it will help. Also, I've noticed my Fatip has some wiggle room on the blade, the pins that the blade go on are a bit small. This allows some movement/adjustment of the blade using the end tabs.

Reactions: Kix
@Jack Goossen take a look at this post by @Cal maybe it will help. Also, I've noticed my Fatip has some wiggle room on the blade, the pins that the blade go on are a bit small. This allows some movement/adjustment of the blade using the end tabs.

I have a Fasan razor on which the PAA Slant is based. The problem with this Storto is not that the blade is not parallel to the head. I wish it were, because that is what it is supposed to be. The problem is the blade exposure as such, which is too different. Huge vs small. The crooked course is almost absent, which should not be the case.
BTW: the pins are not too little, the are quite large, needing to use some force to make the blade fit.
I think my Storto is a dud.

I always think mine aligns a bit uneven but don’t feel a difference in the shave so I just use it. Yours looks more pronounced though. Can you post a pic of the upturned cap to see the posts and the soldering, Jack?

Have you checked the blade posts.......usually one is bent or two.....I have had 2 of these razors that getting the blade out was hard.....; one of the razors I saw that one post was crooked and I hammered it straight.....it now works well..... (this one had exposure like yours)./

I have a Fatip Piccolo that requires manual blade alignment because the pins are too small.
At least good alignment can be attained, but it's an issue that shouldn't exist with precision razors.

Have you checked the blade posts.......usually one is bent or two.....I have had 2 of these razors that getting the blade out was hard.....; one of the razors I saw that one post was crooked and I hammered it straight.....it now works well..... (this one had exposure like yours)./
I'll post some pics, as @Multum in parvo asked. Let's see what he thinks.
How does the repaired one shave? You like it?

I always think mine aligns a bit uneven but don’t feel a difference in the shave so I just use it. Yours looks more pronounced though. Can you post a pic of the upturned cap to see the posts and the soldering, Jack?
At your service, @Multum in parvo

AB4FCDF2-113F-484B-BDF8-774A216AD3A2.jpeg4CBB6AD0-A84A-4958-8BF7-910A34A25F93.jpeg25841238-F9F9-4701-9B21-6FA78849C4AF.jpeg2568FDD9-B77D-477B-84E6-D6745B9B536C.jpeg28A93313-319A-49B9-B4E3-77FDBF14DBE7.jpeg

Attachments

• 5CC0D2FB-6581-488C-BDE7-C41D12803462.jpeg
    5CC0D2FB-6581-488C-BDE7-C41D12803462.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 671DB6E1-D9E0-4B0E-B8FA-423942F91318.jpeg
    671DB6E1-D9E0-4B0E-B8FA-423942F91318.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
R

romsitsa

One side of the cap is shorter causing a steeper angle (more gap). It could be caused by offset pins or asymmetric profile.

R

romsitsa

If it should be symmetric, then it is faulty. While in this case it makes no difference Fatip parts are not cast, but machined from brass stock.

I have a Piccolo with enough slack you can offset the blade a little to set up aggressive & mild sides. I kind of like that: aggressive for the first passes then mild for ATG or sensitive areas around the lips.

**** BTW: the pins are not too little, the are quite large, needing to use some force to make the blade fit.
I think my Storto is a dud.

Jack, are you sure the pins are large, or is it possible they are too far apart or too close together causing the blade to be tight on them? Is there a bit of looseness if you insert a blade over just one pin?

Jack, are you sure the pins are large, or is it possible they are too far apart or too close together causing the blade to be tight on them? Is there a bit of looseness if you insert a blade over just one pin?
Space is neglectable on all of them. The blade does not fit right away though. A bit of fiddling needed.

Top Bottom