What's new

Why you might need an electric kettle

Do you use an electric kettle in the kitchen?

• Yes

Votes: 50 84.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
The question of why don't Americans generally use electric kettles when compared to other parts of the world has came up in multiple threads in the cafe. Here is a somewhat deep dive on the topic as it relates to heating speed and energy usage. This youtuber can be a bit long winded, but overall I like his presentation, including this video.

I think many members here already have/use an electric kettle, but thought it could be interesting to have an anonymous poll.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I have three. Cuisinart at home used exclusively for tea. Amazon Basics in the kitchen used for whatever boiling water is needed. Amazon Basics at work for tea as well.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ours was a gift. I didn’t think we’d use it much because we have a whistling tea pot. But how do wrong I was. My wife uses it daily for her tea.

Great Christmas present if the recipient doesn’t have one.

I use mine every day. It is stainless steel, though. I'm not sure it's a good idea to boil water in plastic. It also has around six preset temperatures, which is handy for making green tea (and for shaving).

We use a 2l kettle from Mueller made of Borosilicate Glass
Coffee, Tea, Soups. It also significantly cuts the boil time for potatoes or corn.

I didn't really know that these existed until reading about them on B&B. Now that we have one we use it all the time. One of the best purchases ever.

Quit Coffee a bit ago but the gooseneck yeah
also more a espresso guy so never needed that much

the one thing I loved having around was the Zojirushi pots for hot water on tap kinda thing :)

1654564804828.jpeg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I use my Cuisinart all the time and not just for tea or coffee. Tonight, I used it to boil water to add to my lentils and my soup. It's perfect for boiling water to add to anything simmering. A magnificent thing.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Depends on how broad your definition of "electric kettle" is. We have a Bunn Pour-O-Matic hooked up to a timer. Comes on at 5:00 a.m. so the water's hot when Mrs. Hippie rolls outta the rack at 5:30. After I've dragged my lazy carcass off the sheets at 7:00 and had my coffee, it stays on until about 9:00 before shutting down again. In winter I add another program to the timer to turn on at 5:00 p.m. and shut off again at 10:00 p.m. Good for a hot drink on a cold evening.

Because she likes tea and I like coffee, we use it to make hot water. I use the steep'n'strain method for coffee.

O.H.

Top Bottom