What's new

Tell me the difference between Expensive razors and all the others?

When I first started DE shaving around 7 years ago I used to wonder why people are paying more than $50 for a razor, since I didn't know any better back then, but as the years passed I started to ''kinda'' get the idea and it no longer felt odd or irrational for me.

The other thing that I remember is that back when I started there weren't that many brands making luxurious and expensive DE razors and the owners weren't' that many either and owning such razor was kinda of a big deal back then. As you can see right now even the top high end razors in general don't feel that special anymore, since a lot of people own at least one. For instance, 5-6 years ago very few people had a Wolfman razor and now I think almost everyone either has or had at least one.

Even though $400-$500 might sound like a lot, I'm sure most people here earn at least a few thousand a month and paying that much for something that can be used your entire life isn't that crazy when you think about it.

The main issue for me at least is that there are no guarantees that a certain razor is going to shave me great or not, which is my reason why I hesitate to spend that much money on a razor. For a while I wanted to get a Wolfman, but after seeing how often people are selling them on BST, I've changed my mind.

I’m gonna give OP the answer that they really wanted to hear..

Just go for it!!

You won’t know until you try for yourself 😉

Edit: there’s a lot of great answers in this thread, some I agree with and some I don’t. But at the end of the day sometimes to just have to scratch that itch yourself.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I first started DE shaving around 7 years ago I used to wonder why people are paying more than $50 for a razor, since I didn't know any better back then, but as the years passed I started to ''kinda'' get the idea and it no longer felt odd or irrational for me.

The other thing that I remember is that back when I started there weren't that many brands making luxurious and expensive DE razors and the owners weren't' that many either and owning such razor was kinda of a big deal back then. As you can see right now even the top high end razors in general don't feel that special anymore, since a lot of people own at least one. For instance, 5-6 years ago very few people had a Wolfman razor and now I think almost everyone either has or had at least one.

Even though $400-$500 might sound like a lot, I'm sure most people here earn at least a few thousand a month and paying that much for something that can be used your entire life isn't that crazy when you think about it.

The main issue for me at least is that there are no guarantees that a certain razor is going to shave me great or not, which is my reason why I hesitate to spend that much money on a razor. For a while I wanted to get a Wolfman, but after seeing how often people are selling them on BST, I've changed my mind.
I think the Wolfman razors are beautifully crafted but, as I've mentioned a few times, I'd have no idea how to pick the right one for me. There are quite a few variables so for me, the risk isn't worth it. I've watched the Wolfman threads and the owners have often had to purchase various ones until they hit on the right combination. Now, if you could buy them off the shelf and try that, it would be one thing.... Waiting for months to get one and have to go through it all again, that just isn't for me. I'm not that patient.

That said, people who have found the right combination just love theirs.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I think the Wolfman razors are beautifully crafted but, as I've mentioned a few times, I'd have no idea how to pick the right one for me. There are quite a few variables so for me, the risk isn't worth it. I've watched the Wolfman threads and the owners have often had to purchase various ones until they hit on the right combination. Now, if you could buy them off the shelf and try that, it would be one thing.... Waiting for months to get one and have to go through it all again, that just isn't for me. I'm not that patient.

Phoenix, you should try a Rex Ambassador before you dump huge money into a Wolfman or Rocnel Sailor. For 300 dollars, cheaper if you get a discount, the Rex Ambassador will easily last your life, high quality solid 316L stainless steel construction. Full adjustable DE razor, none of that plate changing BS. Its got solid weight to it, 3.7 OZ, which is still less weight then the Merkur Futur!

There are people these days putting 225 to 300 dollars down for a Timeless Titanium razor right now. I would love to have one of those, but they are not adjustable, and that scares me away for the price. I feel that, if one is going to pay that much money for a razor, it better be adjustable, regardless of what its made of.

But, a responsible recommendation from me would be, enjoy what you have now, learn to be a better DE shaver with what you have now. And if in the future you still decided you want to try out another razor, especially an adjustable, try out the Rex Ambassador for high end razor, that doesn't actually bankrupt you to buy it lol.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Phoenix, you should try a Rex Ambassador before you dump huge money into a Wolfman or Rocnel Sailor. For 300 dollars, cheaper if you get a discount, the Rex Ambassador will easily last your life, high quality solid 316L stainless steel construction. Full adjustable DE razor, none of that plate changing BS. Its got solid weight to it, 3.7 OZ, which is still less weight then the Merkur Futur!

There are people these days putting 225 to 300 dollars down for a Timeless Titanium razor right now. I would love to have one of those, but they are not adjustable, and that scares me away for the price. I feel that, if one is going to pay that much money for a razor, it better be adjustable, regardless of what its made of.

But, a responsible recommendation from me would be, enjoy what you have now, learn to be a better DE shaver with what you have now. And if in the future you still decided you want to try out another razor, especially an adjustable, try out the Rex Ambassador for high end razor, that doesn't actually bankrupt you to buy it lol.
Don't worry, Chris.... I have no intention of buying another razor, period.... I love my ESC Claymores.... and with the addition of the Timeless Titanium Crown handles (not cheap but lovely), they are a bit more maneuverable now. I can always go back to the heavier handles if I want to feel the weight again. I finalized my blade trials so I know what works for me too. That's nice to have behind me.

And I have enough brushes now to keep me occupied for months... breaking in boar brushes... getting the mix hair knots up to snuff.

That's true and I don't mind having options, but when you have 10 or more different base plate gaps, that confuses the hell out of me and even if I get one that works I would still think that there might be another one, which works even better. I'm definitely addicted and I've already spend too much on razors, but I'm just not that addicted to the point of trying absolutely every high end razor variation on the market in order to find the absolute best razor ever.

Hats off to those who can, but a man must know it's limitations.

I've been wet shaving for about 5-6 years now. I've used about 15-20 different razors ranging from cheap to very expensive. These are my observations about what expensive razors provide that cheap razors normally don't.

1. Better "blade clamping" (less blade feel, smoother feeling shave)
2. Bigger blade gaps (more efficient)
3. Blade alignment (expensive razors usually align the blade for you)
4. Better metals (steel, titanium vs. zamak)

I'm willing to pay extra for these things, but that's just me, YMMV.
You can pay a lot if you want to, but it's really not necessary.

I recently got a vintage gold plated Gillette Tech delivered to my door, clean and in great shape for the total cost of $10.50. This thing shaves just as well as a Feather AS-D2, but it is lighter and more maneuverable, with a shorter handle (you really don't need a heavy razor to get a good shave).

1. Clamping. Excellent, the entire blade is supported nearly out to the edge.
2. Gap. Suitable for a comfortable, mild daily shaver.
3. Alignment. Absolutely perfect, with a tab at each corner and full center bar, the blade is precisely located.
4. Materials. Solid brass, plated with nickel with gold wash. It has lasted seventy years and looks practically new.

This thing is good because it was designed well, then manufactured and sold in huge volumes. It has zero prestige or bragging rights. I don't really mind. Put in a sharp blade and it works well.

That depends.

My take is to get the razor that you will enjoy using most without compromising your finances.

I have many razors in all price ranges. The Blackbird SB is my favorite razor and is also my best shaving razor. I have more expensive razors that shave no better than a Gem that I bought for $10. For that matter, the Blackbird does not shave more than 20 times better than the Gem.

My A4 Red Tip is not my best shaving or even expensive yet it is special because it commemorates my late wife’s birth quarter. Others like my Goodwill #164 have so much history and are a joy to look at and is a good shaver too.

There is no universal right answer to the question.

It’s not true that high-priced razors cannot be better than lower-priced ones. There are certainly some expensive razors that shave better than any mid or low-priced razors. But not all, and not always for you. What is ‘better’ depends on what your preferences are, so the specific razors that are ‘better’ will vary between users - but there are always better and worse razors, whatever you are looking for.

I would cite the Rocnel Sailor as a clear example - it is very much better than anything you could find cheaper, for the type of razor that it is (very efficient, high build quality, adjustable). You really cannot find a razor for less money that is as good, or will give as good a shave.

There are also mid-priced razors (e.g. the Karve Overlander) that perform better than any comparable higher-priced razors, if you are looking for that sort of razor (very mild and gentle, but efficient enough to satisfy most users). Other people will have different preferences to me, and their discoveries of what is better for them will be different too.
How are you certain that the Sailor (or Wolfman, Paradigm, etc) are better? It can't be that they cost more than other razors, right? Confirmation bias? Are they really that much better than a perfect condition NEW SC/LC or a Tatara (less money, but very high quality designs)? We are talking about metal devices that shave hairs. Other than arguably better tolerances in razors from CNC/Metal Printing machines that modern artisans can now use - what fundamentally can a new razor bring to the design table?

How are you certain that the Sailor (or Wolfman, Paradigm, etc) are better? It can't be that they cost more than other razors, right? Confirmation bias? Are they really that much better than a perfect condition NEW SC/LC or a Tatara (less money, but very high quality designs)? We are talking about metal devices that shave hairs. Other than arguably better tolerances in razors from CNC/Metal Printing machines that modern artisans can now use - what fundamentally can a new razor bring to the design table?
I’ve shaved with them, and many other razors, many times (including Tataras and old Gillettes too). That’s how I can be sure. You’re making a strawman argument based only on assumptions and trying to reason from there. If you had tried the razors I mentioned you would see the differences, because the differences are big.

I did limit my comments to a couple of razors that stand out significantly for their shaving performance. That doesn’t mean all expensive razors are as different, or that all the extra value is always to do with the shave. There are lots of ways a razor can be worth more than another. But the examples I gave were specifically razors that give superior shaves.

Note also that of the two razors I pointed out as being exceptional, one costs $500 (and is worth at least that), and the other costs $100 (and is extraordinary value). And I did imply that your preference between these two razors would depend on your shaving preferences - one is not better than the other, but both are better than other razors. The more expensive one is worth more money, and if you had it in your hand you would immediately see why.

Last edited:
For me, there is no potential incremental improvement in shave performance whereby I could justify paying more than maybe $50 to $60 USD for a razor. The value proposition is just not there for me. I'm not saying the value proposition isn't there for others; it's just not there for me.

For me, there is no potential incremental improvement in shave performance whereby I could justify paying more than maybe $50 to $60 USD for a razor. The value proposition is just not there for me. I'm not saying the value proposition isn't there for others; it's just not there for me.
I can see that too. It is irrational to spend $500 on a tool that temporarily removes hair. But there is also the matter of how often you shave and how much it is worth paying to improve the experience every time (noting that the extra cost is spread over thousands of shaves). I think both arguments hold water.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
This thread makes me even more happy that I bought of just one of a handful of AC Single Edge razors on the market. There are way too many very nice DE razors out there, both inexpensive and expensive.

Now, I refuse to get into the Straight Razor thing.. no matter how great they might be. I simply can't afford it.... So I'll dance around the changeable blade barber razors a bit and be content, watching others collect the absolutely stunning straight razors out there, modern, vintage and places in between...... razors, strops and stones... oh, My....

I can see that too. It is irrational to spend $500 on a tool that temporarily removes hair. But there is also the matter of how often you shave and how much it is worth paying to improve the experience every time (noting that the extra cost is spread over thousands of shaves). I think both arguments hold water.
For sure; I understand and respect that position. Here's my thinking:

Let's say I buy a $450 razor (10 times my hypothetical budget of $45) and say it buys me $0.25 more enjoyment from each use than a $45 razor (although this seems entirely subjective). It would take me 1620 shaves (nearly 4 1/2 years, if I shave once a day) to recoup the $405 difference. One could, of course, argue that the expensive razor gives more than $0.25 extra enjoyment per shave, but I guess my point is that this is entirely subjective. I'm not saying others shouldn't buy it, of course; I'm just saying the numbers don't work out for me (not even close).

Everyone’s missing the point, who wants their son or daughter to inherit a $10 razor? Nope, mine will get an inheritance worthy shaver🙃, this gives me buying leverage with the wifey. Bonus, I get to use them everyday until that fateful days arrives. On a serious note, buy what pleases you and makes you feel special performing the mundane task of hair removal.

Everyone’s missing the point, who wants their son or daughter to inherit a $10 razor? Nope, mine will get an inheritance worthy shaver🙃, this gives me buying leverage with the wifey. Bonus, I get to use them everyday until that fateful days arrives. On a serious note, buy what pleases you and makes you feel special performing the mundane task of hair removal.

Exactly, that's the point. We all have our reasons to be here in this forum regardless if we like or dislike cartridges, electric razors or we simply want to try something else and different, but the thing is that we enjoy our own way of shaving and we like/love this hobby or whatever you like to call it. This is what unites us regardless if we have different points of views on razors, blades, soaps, brushes, aftershavers etc.

Pretty sure they would rather inherit money!

💰

I’ve shaved with them, and many other razors, many times (including Tataras and old Gillettes too). That’s how I can be sure. You’re making a strawman argument based only on assumptions and trying to reason from there. If you had tried the razors I mentioned you would see the differences, because the differences are big.

I did limit my comments to a couple of razors that stand out significantly for their shaving performance. That doesn’t mean all expensive razors are as different, or that all the extra value is always to do with the shave. There are lots of ways a razor can be worth more than another. But the examples I gave were specifically razors that give superior shaves.

Note also that of the two razors I pointed out as being exceptional, one costs $500 (and is worth at least that), and the other costs $100 (and is extraordinary value). And I did imply that your preference between these two razors would depend on your shaving preferences - one is not better than the other, but both are better than other razors. The more expensive one is worth more money, and if you had it in your hand you would immediately see why.
And We are supposed to accept your judgement that the expensive one is better. Can it be worth more money because of materials and machining/polishing time - sure. Is it worth more money because it shaves better - where is the empirical proof?

Top Bottom