What's new

Tell me the difference between Expensive razors and all the others?

That being said, with all of these new razors out, BBS is no longer BBS - its now how long has it lasted and how smooth of a razor you can get and still achieve it. There is something to be said though for getting a great shave and not having to worry about dinging your $800 titanium super polished bathroom art.
I like that. If you don’t mind I think I might dispense with the word ‘razor’ now and refer to them as ‘bathroom art’ instead. Even my Merkur Progress is really bathroom art and if I’m honest I bought it for that reason alone (and so far I haven’t shaved with it because it is just too beautiful).

Very good observation about BBS being redundant and replaced by how long-lasting the shave is and how comfortable. That’s how I feel about things. And doesn’t it tell us something about the quality of modern CNC razors?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That is one thing I like about the Artist Club SE razors (most of them).... you have two choices: polished or matte... you change the aggressiveness by selecting the blade or blades that work for you... the RR Hawk V3 does have plate options, but as far as I know, they are the only ones... oh, you can get the Blackland Vector in SS or Titanium.. polished or matte.

As I've mentioned many times, maybe too many... I just love my ESC Claymore Evolution. I have it in both polished (out of stock) and matte (my first one). I've only used the matte... and am extremely happy with it.

I know it costs more in the EU than it does than it does in the States, even with the shipping costs. Brexit has made life difficult for UK companies. It's a shame.... but what can you do?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So my DE wet shaving Journey started with a Merkur 23C. Since then I've acquired normal to mid level/price razors. Here's all of them:

Merkur 23C
Merkur 33C
Parker 97R
Parker Variant (sold)
Merkur Futur (sold)
Pearl Flexi
Feather Popular
Razorock Lupo DE Aluminum
Razorock Lupo .72 SS
The "Winning" Razor
Yaqi slant

Now I've become interested (or RAD) in the next level of razors. I've been researching and I'm looking at Yates, Timeless, ATT, Karve, Blackland, Tatara etc..
What I'd love to know is what makes these worth their cost (besides name) as compared to some lower cost machined razors?
For example, my Lupo 72 seems incredibly well built, finished and has incredibly tight tolerances but I paid less than $80 for it! And my Winning razor is made by Yates and it's flawless!
I've never personally seen, touched or used a "top of the line" razor so I'd love to know why I might spend $150++ on a razor and what makes them worth it?
Then their are even more expensive options like Wolfman, Carbon, H&S, PILS, Rocnel, etc..
So the bottom line is, what makes the expensive razors "more" special besides the fact that they have a "name" and shimmer involved?

I'd love to hear everyone's take on this before I finally splurge on one!

LRod

There are a couple of reasons why, a higher end razor, is better then a lower end razor. The first and obvious reason, is that higher end razors, are built to greater spec. They are casted out of better molds, and or machined to greater tolerances.

Another reason is, most of the cheap razors are plated, this plating tends to wear off after while, leaving the metal vulnerable to corrosion or rust. You can take care of them by letting them dry out fully to extend their life, but there is only so much you can do, to prevent the inevitable. High end razors don't use plating that can wear off, they are made out of 316L solid stainless steel.

Both my Feather AS-D2, and my Rex Ambassador, use 316L solid stainless steel, and are considered high end. But there are other metal alloy's out there, that have been making quite a craze these days. Like those Timeless razors for example that everybody keeps talking about and buying. If you can afford it, titanium is another good option for high quality razor!

You have a lot of razors already, far more then I do! I only have 3, but have pretty much settled on adjustables, as that is what I like, because I can adjust the blade aggression throughout the shave, as needed. Not everybody wants an adjustable though, plenty of options available out there. Its just that, after I experienced my first adjustable, I can't really go back now to standard 3-piece razors lol.

If Timeless made an adjustable, might be more appealing to me in the end. Does anyone make an adjustable razor out of titanium? I'd be curious to know. Anyways, so yes, you do get what you pay for. And of course, I haven't been talking about the super high end razors this whole time. Super high end is Rocnel Sailor and Wolf razors, those are for the rich, no need to ever buy those, just keep moving along lol.

I agree since that's me. I bought several mid-tier razors and probably should have gone all the way since the beginning. The problem I see though is how do you choose "The one high end razor" without ever seeing it or trying it?
They are expensive and they might not work as expected. Right now I'm researching by reading everyone's experiences with particular models but in the end what I choose might not work.
It's tough!
This.
Just check how many have bought and sold several Wolfmans until they narrowed in on the right gap.
For this reason I think it's useful, almost necessary, to try/own several cheaper razors until you figure out what works for you.

There are a couple of reasons why, a higher end razor, is better then a lower end razor. The first and obvious reason, is that higher end razors, are built to greater spec. They are casted out of better molds, and or machined to greater tolerances.

Another reason is, most of the cheap razors are plated, this plating tends to wear off after while, leaving the metal vulnerable to corrosion or rust.
Razorock's razors are built with incredibly tight tolerances and they are machined using the same materials as the "high" end razors. (No titanium though. Yet!) And they are less than $80!
You can read about the insanely expensive machinery that they have to achieve those tolerances on their website.
If you ever get to use one, you'll see what I mean!
I have zero flaws on my Lupo 72 and it could easily cost twice it's price.
That's why the fundamental question was, what "really" makes the top of the line better?

Last edited:
Pricewise, these two are at the opposite ends of my collection.

The Lord L6 cost $7 and honestly can give me a damm fine shave.

The Blackbird costs $255.

My math says 7*36=252.

So while it does give an exceptional shave, there is no way the Blackbird gives a shave 36 times better than the Lord L6. Yes, the Blackbird will far outlast an L6, but I'm not sure it would outlast 36 of them, but maybe it would.

So did I just convince myself that I shouldn't buy expensive razors? LOL Nope.

20220518_143210.jpg

I agree since that's me. I bought several mid-tier razors and probably should have gone all the way since the beginning. The problem I see though is how do you choose "The one high end razor" without ever seeing it or trying it?
They are expensive and they might not work as expected. Right now I'm researching by reading everyone's experiences with particular models but in the end what I choose might not work.
It's tough!
Picking a high-end SR is fairly easy, but picking a single DE can be challenging. I picked mine based a few things that I valued: all SS construction, adjustable, positive reviews, a good warranty, pleasing to the eye, and gold plated. The deal was sealed when I found out it was made in the 🇺🇸 USA from USA sourced materials and on sale because of very, very minor paint blemish on the selector button. The paint dot isn’t perfectly round. Maybe I got lucky, because she shaves great with every blade I’ve tried, every soap, and absolutely zero issues.

Picking a high-end SR is fairly easy, but picking a single DE can be challenging. I picked mine based a few things that I valued: all SS construction, adjustable, positive reviews, a good warranty, pleasing to the eye, and gold plated. The deal was sealed when I found out it was made in the 🇺🇸 USA from USA sourced materials and on sale because of very, very minor paint blemish on the selector button. The paint dot isn’t perfectly round. Maybe I got lucky, because she shaves great with every blade I’ve tried, every soap, and absolutely zero issues.
Ok so what's that awesome gold plated adjustable that you're talking about?

Last edited:
I think these companies are just preying on our weakness. 🙂

I bought a used Feather for 80 bucks but would never buy a new one for $200...and guess what? I can get as good a shave from my $5 antique-store Gillette Tech.

Then there is this question:

If shaving performance is the primary consideration, why do people pay $500 for an NOS Fatboy when they can find a perfectly good user, that shaves the same for $40?

I think these companies are just preying on our weakness. 🙂

I bought a used Feather for 80 bucks but would never buy a new one for $200...and guess what? I can get as good a shave from my $5 antique-store Gillette Tech.

Then there is this question:

If shaving performance is the primary consideration, why do people pay $500 for an NOS Fatboy when they can find a perfectly good user, that shaves the same for $40?

I don't think most people buy those expensive NOS razors to use them. There are plenty of collectors who would want to get their hands on NOS razors just to have them on display and at the same time have the same razor in great/very good used condition to use.

I'm also a collector and I wouldn't mind adding a NOS razor in my collection, but so far I haven't found anything inexpensive enough and I don't mind buying caseless or slightly beaten up razors.

About the Fatboy, my opinion is that it's probably the most overhyped Gillette razor and people are going crazy as soon as they hear it's name. There are plenty of other much cooler Gillette razors that not only are less expensive, but arguably better shavers as well. For instance, for $500 I can get a nice caseless Toggle in good condition and a caseless Hybrid Tech also in good condition or a couple of US and British Aristocrats and I'd be much happier, but YMMV, of course.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Pricewise, these two are at the opposite ends of my collection.

The Lord L6 cost $7 and honestly can give me a damm fine shave.

The Blackbird costs $255.

My math says 7*36=252.

So while it does give an exceptional shave, there is no way the Blackbird gives a shave 36 times better than the Lord L6. Yes, the Blackbird will far outlast an L6, but I'm not sure it would outlast 36 of them, but maybe it would.

So did I just convince myself that I shouldn't buy expensive razors? LOL Nope.

View attachment 1458082
Do the two shave comparably?

Diminishing returns on an any razor over $100 is my personal belief...
All of my razors fall below the $100 threshold. I guess I'll never know what I'm missing, because I don't plan on ever exceeding that mark.

My "high-end" gear consists of three Razorock razors, a used Feather, and a Karve Overlander. Beyond that it's a pile of vintage Gillettes that were all below $20, and a few new entry-level shavers.

I don't think most people buy those expensive NOS razors to use them. There are plenty of collectors who would want to get their hands on NOS razors just to have them on display and at the same time have the same razor in great/very good used condition to use.

I'm also a collector and I wouldn't mind adding a NOS razor in my collection, but so far I haven't found anything inexpensive enough and I don't mind buying caseless or slightly beaten up razors.

About the Fatboy, my opinion is that it's probably the most overhyped Gillette razor and people are going crazy as soon as they hear it's name. There are plenty of other much cooler Gillette razors that not only are less expensive, but arguably better shavers as well. For instance, for $500 I can get a nice caseless Toggle in good condition and a caseless Hybrid Tech also in good condition or a couple of US and British Aristocrats and I'd be much happier, but YMMV, of course.
Point is, pride of ownership trumps functionality on the higher-priced razors. Owning a $500 NOS razor is a prime example of pride of ownership, especially if it serves no other purpose than to sit on a shelf or in a safe.

Well, I collect watches as well and it not the function, it is the look and feel. A Rolex is inferior in timekeeping than a 10 Euro quartz watch, but it simply looks better snd feels better on the wrist. The same with cars, a Lada will bring you from point A to point B, but in a Ferrari the journey is much more enjoyable.

Do the two shave comparably?

Oh no, the Blackbird is smoother, more comfortable, and more efficient. Not to mention it's beautiful to look at and to hold in the hand.

The point I was trying to make was even if it gives a physical shave twice as good, or three times as good, it's not 36 times as good. If I were to give it a number I would say 10 times as good. But then actually gauging such a thing is physically impossible. It's one's perception.

Top Bottom