What's new

Tell me the difference between Expensive razors and all the others?

I can easily spend $400 on one dinner with friends. For one evening. One dinner. Maybe two hours of pleasure. But $400 is ‘too much to spend’ for a finely-crafted shaving instrument that will bring me pleasure for 20 minutes every day, 7 days a week, for many years or decades? I must be dense, because I cannot understand that objection.
There's a big difference to me. Buying dinner for friends is an investment in human relationships, which has value far beyond a tool that's only for my own use and enjoyment.

But to each his own! I am glad artisan razors are there for those who enjoy them.

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
There's a big difference to me. Buying dinner for friends is an investment in human relationships, which has value far beyond a tool that's only for my own use and enjoyment.
That’s fine for you. My friends like burgers and dogs on the deck.
1653152151851.gif

Well, I'm narrowed down to either a Blackland Blackbird or a Tatara Masamune Nodachi.
I think (from what I've read) that these two check all the boxes for me. And price wise
they seem to be OK. I'd love a Titanium razor but I'm still not ready to shell out what they cost.
These two seem like a good step up into premium razor territory!
A contender was the Yates but I already have the "Winning" razor which is a Yates.
I'd like something from another razor maker.
Out of those two, I'm more on the Tatara side. I keep reading how incredibly flawless the build quality is.
We'll see!
Of the 4 razors you mention, I have all but the Winning.

I would also say that Yates may make the Winning, but it is not a Yates 921.

In narrowing your choice I would suggest some thoughts:
1) Both Tatara and Yates offer different plates along with Tatara offering different caps to help customize the razor to your style.
2) Blackbird only has SB & OC plates with the same gap and exposure.

The perfect razor for me is one matches the most smoothness with the best efficiency. It’s a work in harmony. My Blackbird ( SB & OC) and R41 SS are the most efficient. My Timeless .95 OC ( SS & Ti) is my smoothes. My current perfect razor is the Tatara Nodachi SB (also have the OC) closely followed by the Yates H (also have the EH). I enjoy the variety all my razors offer, but the Nodachi is the best I have found yet.

You can pay a lot if you want to, but it's really not necessary.

I recently got a vintage gold plated Gillette Tech delivered to my door, clean and in great shape for the total cost of $10.50. This thing shaves just as well as a Feather AS-D2, but it is lighter and more maneuverable, with a shorter handle (you really don't need a heavy razor to get a good shave).

1. Clamping. Excellent, the entire blade is supported nearly out to the edge.
2. Gap. Suitable for a comfortable, mild daily shaver.
3. Alignment. Absolutely perfect, with a tab at each corner and full center bar, the blade is precisely located.
4. Materials. Solid brass, plated with nickel with gold wash. It has lasted seventy years and looks practically new.

This thing is good because it was designed well, then manufactured and sold in huge volumes. It has zero prestige or bragging rights. I don't really mind. Put in a sharp blade and it works well.
I absolutely ADORE my vintage Techs For exactly the reasons you give. There's a damned good reason that I'm keeping two of them, one for home & one for my Dopp kit. I've simply never gotten a bad shave from my Techs.

-Z

I can easily spend $400 on one dinner with friends. For one evening. One dinner. Maybe two hours of pleasure. But $400 is ‘too much to spend’ for a finely-crafted shaving instrument that will bring me pleasure for 20 minutes every day, 7 days a week, for many years or decades? I must be dense, because I cannot understand that objection.
…well damn, when you say it like that…

I know this isn't related to the topic, but what I really don't understand is why the hell are almost all expensive ($150 +) razors are sold in cardboard boxes? I know that the box doesn't make the razor, but those who collect vintage razors know the feeling of having a well preserved razor and box like a Gillette President, any US or British Aristocrat or a Toggle for instance.

I know it would take them more time to make those cases, but I'm sure that most folks are going to appreciate it and probably wouldn't mind spending a tiny bit more just to have their premium razor with a nice solid case regardless if it's made out of wood, leather or anything else.

It's a perfectly fine analogy if your only high value purchase and interest is a razor. But for me at least, it's not viable because I also have other "high cost" interests.

I know this isn't related to the topic, but what I really don't understand is why the hell are almost all expensive ($150 +) razors are sold in cardboard boxes? I know that the box doesn't make the razor, but those who collect vintage razors know the feeling of having a well preserved razor and box like a Gillette President, any US or British Aristocrat or a Toggle for instance.

I know it would take them more time to make those cases, but I'm sure that most folks are going to appreciate it and probably wouldn't mind spending a tiny bit more just to have their premium razor with a nice solid case regardless if it's made out of wood, leather or anything else.
My thoughts on this:
Because cardboard in today's world represents being a minimalist and environmentally responsible.
Wood & leather implies that you don't care about the environment.
Note: I agree with you wholeheartedly!🙂

Of the 4 razors you mention, I have all but the Winning.

I would also say that Yates may make the Winning, but it is not a Yates 921.

In narrowing your choice I would suggest some thoughts:
1) Both Tatara and Yates offer different plates along with Tatara offering different caps to help customize the razor to your style.
2) Blackbird only has SB & OC plates with the same gap and exposure.

The perfect razor for me is one matches the most smoothness with the best efficiency. It’s a work in harmony. My Blackbird ( SB & OC) and R41 SS are the most efficient. My Timeless .95 OC ( SS & Ti) is my smoothes. My current perfect razor is the Tatara Nodachi SB (also have the OC) closely followed by the Yates H (also have the EH). I enjoy the variety all my razors offer, but the Nodachi is the best I have found yet.
You my friend are making my search much easier with your analysis!

Cardboard is not durable and it makes the razor feel cheap. But this is not only the case with razors, some years ago Rolex was saving the cleaning cloth, yes we are talking about watches for at least 5 grand.

Cardboard is not durable and it makes the razor feel cheap. But this is not only the case with razors, some years ago Rolex was saving the cleaning cloth, yes we are talking about watches for at least 5 grand.

Absolutely! If Gillette could do it back then when even the most expensive razor they made was sold for around $150 converted to our current inflation, than those fancy pants brands have absolutely no excuse not to make at least some basic wooden box/case. Even the cheap cigars come in wooden boxes.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I like the box but what's in it looks scary, Lol!!🤣

I was thinking the same exact thing! I was like, nope, don't want any part of that. You can have it, I will just stand over here with my Rex Ambassador or Merkur Futur thank you very much. Next thing I know, I hear a wicked awful sound, all to find he's applying lather with a leaf blower. Then I say, "You like to go to the extremes don't you?" 😁

You don't know what you're missing, these wedge blade razors can give you some of the best shaves ever. I am using my Henckels Rapide at least once a week and it is fantastic.

They debate isn‘t really about the cost of the uber razors. People choosing to spend their money on artisan-made products that are produced with good materials isn’t the issue either. Supply and Demand isn’t the isdue either. The issue is the belief by many that the uber razors are inherently better at shaving hairs than some less expensive razors (some 90-100 years old). Can all the true believers prove that their Wolfman or Rocnel razors are the best at shaving hairs from faces? Doesn’t it make sense that people spending over $500 for a razor are going to believe thst it the best razor that they have ever used? If it isn’t, did you get taken by the company?

Top Bottom