What's new

How often should you use alum block?

Looking at your picture, I believe that stick is one that is marketed for underarm use. If true, the quote is something quite common with underarm products. Supposedly, people suffer from dry skin there which would lead to cracking. I would image, since it is not meant to be rinsed off right away, getting alum into cracks in skin would be rather uncomfortable. I don't have any such warning on my alum block. If it is legal in France, EU, it should be safe for its intended purpose. They have been manufacturing and using it for a very long time.

As for use, I developed adult acne. If I don't wash daily, and carefully, I get breakouts. Chemical reactions aside, I don't wash my face daily. On those days, I apply alum. I have tested this by going without it for two weeks and did not like the outcome so I went back to using it 2 to 3 times weekly.
You are probably right. I dropped my Alum block intended for face use and it broke. So it is probably just a warning for the intended use.

I tried and hated rubbing alum block over my face. I pulverized a portion of mine into a power and apply it with a wet finger to stop bleeding from a weeper, or make a paste for a cut. Just let it dry and brush it off. The remaining block I wet and use as deodorant. It makes a good one. My aftershave routine is just to splash on Dickinson's witch hazel to soothe the skin, and let dry before aftershave. While rare these days, if witch hazel isn't enough to stop a weeper or cut, I wet a finger, apply the pulverized alum to that area.

I've posted this before, but I'll post it for the younger guys. In the mid 1960's, before the styptic pencil craze, containers of powdered shaving alum were sold in drug stores. Unlike styptic pencils, a container of powered alum lasted forever. I still have some left in a container I bought in 1964, but I have to keep it hidden. My lovely wife has been threatening for over 50 years to throw it out if she finds it. I can't remember the last time I used it (but wouldn't hesitate to). I just keep it around to annoy her. If you don't have an alum block to smash, McCormick's Alum or any powdered alum sold at a grocery store would probably work just as well.

There is a lot of mythology surrounding Alum so I'll do my best. Personally, it only gets used for me when I get visible knicks or cuts or if I'm bored and feel like mixing it up. Chemically, its basically just salt. Its a natural astringent and antiseptic which makes it particularly useful post-shave at the cost of being extremely drying and often irritating to users. I don't get any feedback from alum thesedays but if I used it everyday for a week, my skin would start to feel less than ok. It is cheap as hell and lasts a long time for a reason. I don't see any risk of long term damage (unless your eating it or something) but its worth noting that its not a skin friendly product either way. When I use it, its only on my face for a minute or two before being rinsed off. Witch hazel is a better post-shave cleanser and astringent imo. Obviously, there's a lot of preference involved here but tbh, there is nothing outstanding about alum. I'd compare it to using bacon grease or melted fat as shave oil/lather. It works and was used by ancient peoples.

Sources like Vanessa?

No kidding. Including your post.

You just did.

What would you consider "reliable info"? Info regarding what? That Potassium Alum is not an antiperspirant? That Potassium Alum is not toxic to people. That Potassium alum is not considered an environmental toxin, unless you ask Vanessa?

For the sake of my personal time and considering the risk of being labeled equally ignorant, I will invite anyone to educate themselves.
so in other words, you are doing the exact same thing the person you're flagellating did. ok.

Hello all!

I am wondering how often is it recommended to use alum block. Do you use it every time or only occasionally. I like the feeling but for some reason I thought you should not be using it after every shave.
On a slightly different topic I have heard some debating whether long term use is good. Are there any views for that?
Thank you!

Kind regards,
Nik
I use it after every shave. Hot rinse, Ice cold rinse, Alum block dipped in cold water. Feels great on my skin, closes up the pores. While it drys, I clean up the hardware. Then comes the splash of the day.

I'm with these guys (above):
srqshaver
Fletchtj
hairless wonder
JasonJT
dmshaver

Alum is a natural salt, used for centuries.
I will add that I keep the shattered pieces in a repurposed glasses-cleaner bottle with some water to create a saturated solution that I can spray on my face right after I shave. After a few minutes I rinse and apply whatever aftershave meets my fancy.

Hi Nik232,
I use a alum block after every shave for several reasons, first it is antiseptic so it may help prevent potential infections (nicks & cuts), second it is astringent prevents gunk getting into your pores by closing them so a cleaner finish, thirdly whether it's just a tingle or a sensation that would make the Pope sweary it provides feed back on the quality of your shave, it will sting a bit if you have been passing over the same patch of skin too much or if your razor has got passed it best and become scratchy also if your technique isn't quite right (wrong angle).

It is useful when you have nicked yourself and it wont stop bleeding wipe the area clean with cold water wet your alum block and apply it will sting a bit but will help stop the bleeding.
If you leave the alum on your skin it will dehydrate your skin and make it scaly and sore.

The way to use a alum block is after you have finished your shave rinse your face with cold water to help close the pores then dry, wet your alum block and apply to your face after thirty seconds or after the stinging has stopped which ever is last rinse off with cold water dry then apply a moisturiser (that has vitamin E) to keep your skin moist and healthy.

Last edited:

Eben Stone

Staff member
I use Alum after ever shave. I use it to measure the quality of the shave. The goal being zero feedback.

I like using Alum. I rarely have a terrible shave, but even when I do the intense alum burn is enjoyable. I even like the way it tastes. I lick my lips after I put it on. Not sure about other brands, but the Osma tastes sweet. And yeah I'm being serious. :out:

Hello all!

I am wondering how often is it recommended to use alum block. Do you use it every time or only occasionally. I like the feeling but for some reason I thought you should not be using it after every shave.
On a slightly different topic I have heard some debating whether long term use is good. Are there any views for that?
Thank you!

Kind regards,
Nik
I seem to use an alum block more for other cuts than after shaving. Earlier this week, I got a nasty paper cut on a finger so I rinsed it in cold water then pressed an alum block to the cut until the bleeding slowed enough that I could use a bandaid. My after shave routine is to put cold water on a washcloth to clean my face of leftover shaving cream, lightly dry, and then use AOS lavender after shave balm.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I use it after ever shave. Along with a good moisturiser it is good for the skin. Hey works for me.

When I started out, I used it after every shave because I was under the impression that it was part of the standard procedure. I was also using it as a 'blade irritation tester' when going through my blade sampler. Now that I have chosen my blades and have bought in bulk, I'm no longer searching and quit using it. I can't tell that it was doing anything other than inflicting irritation. If I cut myself I just use the styptic pencil and skip the block.

I now just use witch hazel and balm.

I used to use it daily but then I got into the post shave feel of creams and soaps that are easy on the akint. I hardly rinse any more if most of the lather is gone I just towel off, so I abandoned the block

Hello all!

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Nik
I use it after every shave. I've always thought it was a bit of an antiseptic. I have an obsession with absolute BBS and I do have some micro cuts. I always wash my face with hot water after a shave to open up pores and clean out the soap. I run the alum block quickly under the tap just to wet it and rub all over my face. After about a couple of minutes, while I clean the sink, I rinse my face with cold water, closes the pores and any bleeds (most of the time). I follow up with a good smothering of Nivea face cream (not the special men's stuff, just the original cream). Rinsing after applying the alum block will get rid of the coating that makes your face dry and after it's done it's job (antiseptic?). I also think blade choice is very important as it dictates how much it stings.

I use after every shave especially head shaves, i find it helps with irritation and ingrowns plus i have oily skin so i don't find it that drying

I use after every shave especially head shaves, i find it helps with irritation and ingrowns plus i have oily skin so i don't find it that drying
Similar to myself, my skin is very oily and I like the sense of dryness that I get for as long as it lasts. Pairing it with Arko works even better for me, though it seems that it changes the post-shave behaviour of the soap. With TOBS I find the post-shave better.

Alum has the same function as an AS (antiseptic) so I don't see the need of using both and usually prefer an AS.

Alum sticks are also used as a deoderant. Works very well and, unlike most deoderants, doesn't have a cloying, chemical scent.
I use it like that when I want to have a scentless deodorant.

In so many years of using a DE, I've never tried an alum block so when I spotted one at the drugstore the other day, I bought it. Used it yesterday. Left in on for about half a minute, then washed my face with tap temp water (closer to warm than cold.) Followed up with the usual splash of Thayer's no alcohol toner.

The initial post-shave feel was great. A few hours later, my skin felt very dry. Slight redness in some portions of my cheeks. Nothing painful but not pleasant either. I guess my skin doesn't not agree with the product. Not a complete waste though as it didn't cost much and I can still use it as a deodorant.

(I have combination skin leaning more towards oily.)

Top Bottom