What's new

Cartridge myths?

Prior to the Gillette Heritage and the King C Gillette, both introduced in the last 3-4 years, when was the last time Gillette brought out a DE razor. Does anyone know?
In India Gillette has had a couple models available for many years.

Metal head/plastic handle Tech-style
View attachment 1361900

All plastic DE:
proxy.php

Discontinued for I think a decade at least, there was the same Tech-style model available in Russia/CIS countries:
View attachment 1361905

All plastic, available in Phillipines:
proxy.php

Gillette Goal Klik, Indonesia:
proxy.php

A wiki says the Gillette G1000 was made and sold in England up until 1998:
View attachment 1361912
My guess off the top of my head would be the Slim Twist in the mid to later 1970's?
EDIT: I think I'm wrong, it probably came out in the late 60's around the same time as the Super Adjustable I think.
Here's a Slim Twist which the website says is from 1st Quarter 1987
proxy.php

In India Gillette has had a couple models available for many years.

Metal head/plastic handle Tech-style
View attachment 1361900

All plastic DE:
proxy.php

Discontinued for I think a decade at least, there was the same Tech-style model available in Russia/CIS countries:
View attachment 1361905

All plastic, available in Phillipines:
proxy.php

Gillette Goal Klik, Indonesia:
proxy.php

A wiki says the Gillette G1000 was made and sold in England up until 1998:
View attachment 1361912

Here's a Slim Twist which the website says is from 1st Quarter 1987
proxy.php
So basically Gillette/P&G are still briskly manufacturing DE razors in international markets with more modest per capita incomes in terms of affordable DE razor models while concentrating their sales drives for the Mach Series 3, 5 etc, in North America and Europe, handles and especially carts which come with a much heftier price tag.

Also in the areas where Gillette/P&G are still producing DE razors, they also have a strong presence in DE blade manufacture, notably India. I am very fond of the Indian SS Gillette/WS 'Saloons', an efficient blade at a great price.

My point was that it is interesting that in the past 3-4 years, G/P&G have begun to re-introduce DE razors into the more 'affluent' markets, with a correspondingly much higher price tag.

A great selection of Gillette mostly modernised Tech razor pics by the way, that are still made. Cool!

Last edited:
Wonderfully interesting post. Well done making us all think! Let me take this is in a different way.

One part of this question might be what drove one to abandon cartridge razors. Lots of people (including myself) would probably first say cost. True enough (a myth of DE shaving may be that it's cheaper than cartridge shaving for the average DE shaver). Others might say discomfort with daily shaving (me too).

Another part might be what brought one back to cartridge shaving after trying DE or straight shaving?
I cannot speak to this category. But I still enjoy my Gillette Sensor (two-blade) shaves when I travel-- a one-pass WTG shave that gives me what I need. Shaving WTG once with a more-than-one-blade cartridge will yield a closer and faster shave than a single WTG pass with a DE (let's not talk about blade exposure and aggressiveness here, but 'edge' taken).

Another part is comfort. For many, cartridge-shaving is a necessary evil, a chore, a burden. In other words, you do it because you have to, not because you enjoy it. Put a different way, cartridge-shaving can be uncomfortable for a variety of reasons to a great many people. Given this, people sought a different solution that was less uncomfortable.

Non-cartridge shaving can be more than just 'less uncomfortable'. It can become a pleasure, something one enjoys, something one looks forward to. When I talk to cartridge-shavers, this very concept makes them look at me like I'm crazy. "Shaving can be pleasurable" as a concept creates some cognitive dissonance, if you will. They cannot imagine that shaving can make you and your skin feel good. There's some aromatherapy as well (I know you can use quality soaps and creams with cartridge razors, shut up!—I was one of those too). I think this is where most of us land. For whatever reason, clearing hairs off our face and/or other body parts makes us happy, and it feels good when we do it.

So, cartridge myths?
(1) there's really no other choice
(2) cartridge shaving is closer
(3) more razor blades = a comfortable shave

This is my take anyway.

With that said, I am very intrigued with the experiments in cartridge-inspired shavers like the Maxwell June, Leaf, and Broman. But part of me wants to try/master straight edge shaving, for the same reasons why DE > cartridge may mean straight > DE.

I suspect that Gillette/P&G are beginning to realise that their market share is maybe eroding in the cart field, ironically to a system they originally developed.
This has been brought up before, but they have to placate their shareholders. The marketing on the new razors is aimed toward "beard outlining." They can't even hint that anything but their cartridges are the superior product for daily shaving. They have paid labs a lot of money to tell them that! Maybe somebody in management saw a niche market that they could get into, but it's definitely the shallow end only.

My last experience with carts tells me they can give a closer shave but at what cost? And I don't mean money. I bought myself a Gillette Fusion 5 with the power handle. So thinking 'oh cool a power handle". Popped in my AA battery, lathered up and shaved with the vibrating handle. Don't know how some genius came up with such an idea but there I went hapless idiot. The vibrations combined with the super sharp five blades gave me the closest shave of my life. However afterwards my face although it 'showed' no signs of irritation felt like it was on fire. I had many hundreds of micro cuts finer than paper cuts. So fine they didn't even bleed. Needless to say that was the last time I used that razor .

My last experience with carts tells me they can give a closer shave but at what cost? And I don't mean money. I bought myself a Gillette Fusion 5 with the power handle. So thinking 'oh cool a power handle". Popped in my AA battery, lathered up and shaved with the vibrating handle. Don't know how some genius came up with such an idea but there I went hapless idiot. The vibrations combined with the super sharp five blades gave me the closest shave of my life. However afterwards my face although it 'showed' no signs of irritation felt like it was on fire. I had many hundreds of micro cuts finer than paper cuts. So fine they didn't even bleed. Needless to say that was the last time I used that razor .
This reflects my experience as well, although I didn't try such a fancy cartridge system. As you said, my face was on fire. That's the wording I was trying to find. And that was for years it is not that I had to get used to it and then it is fine.

Wonderfully interesting post. Well done making us all think! Let me take this is in a different way.

One part of this question might be what drove one to abandon cartridge razors. Lots of people (including myself) would probably first say cost. True enough (a myth of DE shaving may be that it's cheaper than cartridge shaving for the average DE shaver). Others might say discomfort with daily shaving (me too).

Another part might be what brought one back to cartridge shaving after trying DE or straight shaving?
I cannot speak to this category. But I still enjoy my Gillette Sensor (two-blade) shaves when I travel-- a one-pass WTG shave that gives me what I need. Shaving WTG once with a more-than-one-blade cartridge will yield a closer and faster shave than a single WTG pass with a DE (let's not talk about blade exposure and aggressiveness here, but 'edge' taken).

Another part is comfort. For many, cartridge-shaving is a necessary evil, a chore, a burden. In other words, you do it because you have to, not because you enjoy it. Put a different way, cartridge-shaving can be uncomfortable for a variety of reasons to a great many people. Given this, people sought a different solution that was less uncomfortable.

Non-cartridge shaving can be more than just 'less uncomfortable'. It can become a pleasure, something one enjoys, something one looks forward to. When I talk to cartridge-shavers, this very concept makes them look at me like I'm crazy. "Shaving can be pleasurable" as a concept creates some cognitive dissonance, if you will. They cannot imagine that shaving can make you and your skin feel good. There's some aromatherapy as well (I know you can use quality soaps and creams with cartridge razors, shut up!—I was one of those too). I think this is where most of us land. For whatever reason, clearing hairs off our face and/or other body parts makes us happy, and it feels good when we do it.

So, cartridge myths?
(1) there's really no other choice
(2) cartridge shaving is closer
(3) more razor blades = a comfortable shave

This is my take anyway.

With that said, I am very intrigued with the experiments in cartridge-inspired shavers like the Maxwell June, Leaf, and Broman. But part of me wants to try/master straight edge shaving, for the same reasons why DE > cartridge may mean straight > DE.
Excellent resume 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@merovirginian every day you put off starting your SR shaving will be a day that will forever be a regret in your memory. It is best to either make a decision to never start or start as soon as you can.

If started, commit yourself to shaving daily with a SR for 30 days. You will then be "there".

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
One cartridge truth- it’s the only way I was able to shave hungover (or still drunk from the night before), in the dark, with my eyes closed, in the shower, with cold water, and a bar of soap 45min before I had to be at work. I could do this 3-5 times a week and would look presentable when I arrived on the job. This was long ago and is no longer a concern of mine. I would not want to try to do this with a DE though.

I find the Henson razors provide the best of both worlds, I use it around 50% of the time. Besides the Henson, I only use other DE razors.

As many of you, I shaved both beard and head with cartridges for many years, before I discovered the joy of DE shaving.
Much to my surprise, I keep reading and hearing statements about the effectiveness of cartridges.
Many claim they produce a better shave than DE shaving.
I honestly find this hard to believe. Using many different cartridge razors, I never had a shave as close as with my DE razors.
It must be stated I gave up on mild DE razors very rapidly and have been using more aggressive DE razors, like the Muehle R41 and the DLC Yaqi. Loaded with, for instance, a Bic Chrome Platinum, the shaves leave my skin bare as a baby's butt.
I guess the idea of cartridge razors being more effective than a mild DE razor with a moderate blade might have some truth, but my shaving material is surely much more effective than any cartridge I have used.
Please share your opinion.
You say you ditched the mild DE razors.
Quite a lot of cartridge razors will give a closer shave with the same number of passes and the same cream compared to the mild DE razors.
Just a few days ago I got a closer shave with my twin blade old Contour [Atra] compared to the overhyped Fatip Slant.

Shave quality is largely technique in my experience. Tools are only as good as the artisan that wields them and not more. However, in my particular case, I get better results with a DE razor and straight razor.

The problem with cartridges isn't shave quality in my experience. It's longevity. They clog and wear out very fast. The first shave of a mach 3 is chefs kiss, but omg after that.
I can get the same result out of feather with father flades several shaves out of same blade.
The cost savings for me is huge.

The problem with cartridges isn't shave quality in my experience. It's longevity. They clog and wear out very fast. The first shave of a mach 3 is chefs kiss, but omg after that.
I can get the same result out of feather with father flades several shaves out of same blade.
The cost savings for me is huge.
Wouldn't agree with that. I get 17-18 3 pass shaves with Mach3 or a simple Gillette twin blade disposable. Maximum 5 3-pass shaves with a DE blade (some blades only 2-3 shaves). Same cream and brush.

You say you ditched the mild DE razors.
Quite a lot of cartridge razors will give a closer shave with the same number of passes and the same cream compared to the mild DE razors.
Just a few days ago I got a closer shave with my twin blade old Contour [Atra] compared to the overhyped Fatip Slant.
That may be the case, but with all carts I'va used the past 40 years I had irritation every single time. And unlike most DE razors, they all clotted. I am so glad I found DE shaving.
BTW: I have a BBB with almost every headshave with my DE razors. None of the carts could achieve that. Probably a matter of skin and hair type, I'm sure.

Irritation is a factor, no doubt. Especially with 3 or more blade carts. If I shave on 3 consecutive days with the MACH3 there is a good probablilty on day 3 I'll have post-shave irritation. If it is 4 consecutive days, it is a 100% probability.

Irritation is a factor, no doubt. Especially with 3 or more blade carts. If I shave on 3 consecutive days with the MACH3 there is a good probablilty on day 3 I'll have post-shave irritation. If it is 4 consecutive days, it is a 100% probability.
Both my sons started DE shaving because of irritation with carts. Is it true irritation occurs with carts because the third plus blades 'jank' out hair? i read that somewhere.

Don't know, but I like the two-blade carts and disposables. They are decent and do the job. Have and use quite alot of them. GII (TRACII), Contour (Atra), Sensor Excel, Protector. Have a huge amount of carts stocked. Half of them are vintage.

Top Bottom