What's new

Cartridge myths?

I agree with your 2nd paragraph.
Trac II carts sell for about 2 bucks per refill cart.
That's 20 times the cost of my DE blade, so I can't agree they aren't expensive.
There are carts cheaper than Fusion, but overall, they are still vastly more expensive than DE blades.
I have bought some off brand trac2 cartridges from StopnShop(US supermarket) that shaved just as good as anything else I have used and were $2.50 for 10 cartridges. I mean there are cheaper alternatives out there if people are willing to look and try them. For example you can get a 100 Personna trac2 cartridges for about 17 dollars online.

I have bought some off brand trac2 cartridges from StopnShop(US supermarket) that shaved just as good as anything else I have used and were $2.50 for 10 cartridges. I mean there are cheaper alternatives out there if people are willing to look and try them. For example you can get a 100 Personna trac2 cartridges for about 17 dollars online.
So what are your thoughts performance wise with DE blades and cartridges in your experience?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Tried them, but the genuine Gillette carts worked better for me.
There are variations in DE prices too.
I was a fan of Trac II until I bought a Maxwell June that uses a DE blade and shaves just like a Trac II, so I'm set now.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
One nice thing about cartridge razors is once you start using them a person does not know any better because when you go shopping for shaving needs now a days and find there is only cartridge razors a person becomes brainwashed( I shaved with cartridge razors for over 40 + years. But along comes a new technology with computers and youtube videos and people start to learn that shaving has a interesting history and most people are not taught how to shave at all. The last 4 years of traditional wet shaving has taught me a lot about how to shave properly, like beard mapping, technique, pre shave, post shave, shave brushes + alum and the reason for aftershaves & balms.
Modern technology and big business interests have focused to much on just making money and to keep folks ignorant mostly about shaving and personal grooming IMO. Cartridge razors would of worked better for my self if I would of know to just simply beard mapped my grain growth. I guess there where books on shaving properly but I have not seen any really and never heard anyone talk about them growing up. Internet has really only been really available for the last 20 + years. When I started shaving in the 70's plastic cartridge razors was best way to shave I was told and it was in a big swing that way with proprietary blades Mfg by big brand company's. (Proprietary blades seem to be shaving MFG company's biggest wish list or dream come true.)
If products start to get more expensive with inflation we could see more people reaching for DE razors or just growing beards to keep costs down for living day to day.
Cartridge razors dominate North America but other parts of the world that is not the case, all a person has to do is observe where DE blades are manufactured and you will realize those folks are shaving the cheapest and the old ways still dominate in big populated country's were consumerism is not granted for the average Joe to obtain disposable products because they can not afford to shave even with a cartridge razor possibly.

Myself I had never learnt to shave properly. I was using various cartridges - whatever I could find on the supermarket - and the cheapest tinned foam. Never used aftershave or anything. I was always getting cut when I was shaving that's why I was only shaving after a shower in the evening and I was also trying to shave infrequently, which was challenging because of my very oily skin. After 2 days of growth I had to wash my face a few times per day to be ok. Then I found out that if I buy better cartridges, which also happened to be more expensive, I have a better result. Less cuts but still the same irritation. The irritation was for me the worst. My face was in pain after I was getting shaved. However, for some reason the less frequently I was shaving the less irritation the shaving had, so I had optimized shaving to take place once or twice per week.

Then two things happened. My girlfriend had some kind of allergy with my facial hair and I had to make an effort to shave more often. I got more expensive cartridge razors but I still had issues with irritations and I would still not shave very frequently. One day when I was buying cartridges I thought that there must be a cheaper or at least more efficient way without having to pay a fortune.

I had a friend when I was at uni who was using straight razor and I though that this is the solution. I checked around and I found that there are people who shave like that (thanks to youtube) and also that I can get in some barber shop such kind of shave as well! I asked around my friends and every single one of them said that a straight razor would have been a disaster for me. So, I didn't try it. But then a friend mentioned that he had used a DE razor and I recalled that I had seen such a contraption a long time ago. I thought that this thing was of the past. I checked online and I found that several people are still using it and several reputable websites were claiming it to be more efficient and cheaper.

So after more than 20 years of shaving so bad, I watched a couple of videos and went to get a cheap DE razor (Wilkinson classic) with some blades, some shaving cream and a brush. My first attempt was a disaster. I got cut in many places, mostly because I didn't know how to use it properly and the razor-blade-growth combination was not good. But it didn't matter. I had seen online that it can be done and I was determined to do it. This was just more than two months ago. I have gradually improved after that.

So far I have made the following remarks:
  • Is it really cheaper than cartridges? I don't think so, in principle it is cheaper but in practice there are so many things you would like to buy and try so it is not. But this is because it is a hobby and not a chore any more. I personally haven't overindulged in buying things so I believe it is ok.
  • Does it shave better? Possibly. I think that for me the biggest difference is the pre and post shave routine. I didn't know that there is such a thing with the cartridges. Now I still get some nicks but it is ok. With the post shave routine I don't get much of a problem. Irritation is still an issue but it is in much smaller levels. And besides now I can shave every two days that with the cartridges was completely out of the question. Still however, I do not get the close shave I was getting with the cartridges.
  • Does it worth the effort? Yes it does. In general there is less waste and it is a nice procedure that is relaxing. There is also something nice about learning something new. I would recommend everyone to try, but before that to read all the twikis of this forum and watch a few videos.
The question that comes to mind: have you tried pre and post care while using a cartridge yet?

One nice thing about cartridge razors is once you start using them a person does not know any better because when you go shopping for shaving needs now a days and find there is only cartridge razors a person becomes brainwashed( I shaved with cartridge razors for over 40 + years. But along comes a new technology with computers and youtube videos and people start to learn that shaving has a interesting history and most people are not taught how to shave at all. The last 4 years of traditional wet shaving has taught me a lot about how to shave properly, like beard mapping, technique, pre shave, post shave, shave brushes + alum and the reason for aftershaves & balms.
Modern technology and big business interests have focused to much on just making money and to keep folks ignorant mostly about shaving and personal grooming IMO. Cartridge razors would of worked better for my self if I would of know to just simply beard mapped my grain growth. I guess there where books on shaving properly but I have not seen any really and never heard anyone talk about them growing up. Internet has really only been really available for the last 20 + years. When I started shaving in the 70's plastic cartridge razors was best way to shave I was told and it was in a big swing that way with proprietary blades Mfg by big brand company's. (Proprietary blades seem to be shaving MFG company's biggest wish list or dream come true.)
If products start to get more expensive with inflation we could see more people reaching for DE razors or just growing beards to keep costs down for living day to day.
Cartridge razors dominate North America but other parts of the world that is not the case, all a person has to do is observe where DE blades are manufactured and you will realize those folks are shaving the cheapest and the old ways still dominate in big populated country's were consumerism is not granted for the average Joe to obtain disposable products because they can not afford to shave even with a cartridge razor possibly.
That is an eye opener 👌

The question that comes to mind: have you tried pre and post care while using a cartridge yet?
Exactly, that is an interesting question.
When I was using the cartridges I didn't know about pre- and post-shave preparation. Now, I am not very eager to go back and try, since I am still learning with the DE razor and I like it. I suspect that the experience that I have gained trying the DE razor is transferable and if I try now with the cartridge I will do better than I used to do.

However, I had used a proper shaving cream instead of tinned foam and I noticed that it was relatively difficult to use because the cartridge was getting clogged very easily.

A fun thread on an always controversial topic- which shaving system? Indeed.

As @Boogley12 noted- age is indeed a factor in what may work best at a given time. The many effects of aging on the skin are pretty well known scientifically. For me, I've been experimenting with razors that may be better suited to my saggy, thinning, aging skin and beard- the Occam's Artist Club razor that allows the AC blade to float a bit, and lately the Maxwell June twinned blade DE razor that sort of resembles a Gillette Trac II non-pivoting cartridge. I've been getting superior, close, and issue-free shaves with these, in part because these razors allow me to deal easily with the changes aging has made to my skin, and in part because of the experience and technique acquired over 50 years of shaving almost daily with different razors, SE, DE, SR, and even some carts.

As @OkieStubble noted- one can get as close a shave with a Trac II as the other systems. I'm sure that's true of some of the fancier multi-blade systems- I've only used a few of those and when traveling. Also, each of us has genetic and environmental factors that factor into our skin and beard. Whether it's the curly whiskers common for many Black men, and a few of us non-Black guys, or something else you were dealt in the genetic lottery- a complicated thing these faces of ours.

IMHO the biggest myth is that there is a single shaving system that's best for all. In reading B&B it's easy to see from the diversity of shaving systems used that finding the best system for each of us, is an individual journey. And, our journey takes many turns over time, as we change.

I can safely say, I've spent more on wet shaving over cartridge systems and simple shaving foam- though it has led to far more enjoyable morning experiences over my decades. Wet shaving is a great hobby because it transforms a chore into so much more. For the few of you that actually have saved money using DE, I heartily applaud you!

So to my brothers of the blade- YMMV.

I can safely say, I've spent more on wet shaving over cartridge systems and simple shaving foam- though it has led to far more enjoyable morning experiences over my decades. Wet shaving is a great hobby because it transforms a chore into so much more.

This!!

Unfortunately, at least in my case, not every wet shaving product that glitters is gold. I've spent so much money on many products that were so meh. But I guess all those meh purchases made the actual great items (from both artisans and established companies) so much more enjoyable to own and use.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Also that cartridges don’t shave close, but people get ingrown hairs. Doesn’t that mean that the razor shaved a bit too close?
I think ingrown hairs are caused by a hair thats not cleanly cut but instead fractured by a dull blade or crushed and torn instead of cleanly sliced.

follicles.png

I also think that as the number of blades increases, the tendency to use it after the blades have dulled also increases which increases the propensity of ingrown hairs happening.

I relate closeness of shave to depth of cut which, depending on the suppleness of ones skin, can be well below the surface. If the hairs were only cut at the surface, a BBS finish couldnt be reached. As blade exposure decreases, pressure needs to increase to maintain the same depth of cut. This is why, when I use a cart or disposable, any areas shaved that are BBS, dont stay BBS for long. Yet, with razors that offer more blade exposure, my Grande and MMOC as examples, that BBS finish can last up to three times as long because the depth of cut is deeper.

Using a fresh Feather or fresh PTFE blade to achieve a BBS finish lasting that long isnt always easy. Theres much to be said about finding the right soap for ones skin and learning a proper technique with any particular razor. My top soaps all make my skin supple enough that I can have a shave that close in complete comfort.

The Mach 3 disposables I've been using lately have given me very comfortable shaves, even over my swirl growth patterns, with no blood loss which is a feat but, the shaves arent nearly as close as with a DE or SE.

I suspect that there are also skins that react in different ways.
My father never managed to shave satisfactorily with a DE razor. This is the main reason he had grown a beard. When good cartridges became available he liked them and he saves till now with them. He still uses a brush and cream or foam and he is very happy with it.

When I first started shaving I had seen a DE razor which seemed to me a very interesting contraption. My father told me that this was a very old way to shave and now we shave in easier ways. So I didn't follow up and I forgot about it, missing out >20 years of DE razor experience.

In general I would avoid saying something bad of a particular way. I could influence negatively someone for whom this way is the best way for them.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I suspect that there are also skins that react in different ways.
My father never managed to shave satisfactorily with a DE razor. This is the main reason he had grown a beard. When good cartridges became available he liked them and he saves till now with them. He still uses a brush and cream or foam and he is very happy with it.

When I first started shaving I had seen a DE razor which seemed to me a very interesting contraption. My father told me that this was a very old way to shave and now we shave in easier ways. So I didn't follow up and I forgot about it, missing out >20 years of DE razor experience.

In general I would avoid saying something bad of a particular way. I could influence negatively someone for whom this way is the best way for them.
There are many paths to shaving Nirvana
2.jpg

Prior to the Gillette Heritage and the King C Gillette, both introduced in the last 3-4 years, when was the last time Gillette brought out a DE razor. Does anyone know?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Prior to the Gillette Heritage and the King C Gillette, both introduced in the last 3-4 years, when was the last time Gillette brought out a DE razor. Does anyone know?
My guess off the top of my head would be the Slim Twist in the mid to later 1970's?
EDIT: I think I'm wrong, it probably came out in the late 60's around the same time as the Super Adjustable I think.

My guess off the top of my head would be the Slim Twist in the mid to later 1970's?
Yeah I would agree. So that's around 50 years. A major shift by Gillette then. All these mega-outfits are like supertankers in that they take a long time to begin to tack. I suspect that Gillette/P&G are beginning to realise that their market share is maybe eroding in the cart field, ironically to a system they originally developed. This is not about cart performance but economics.

This can only be good for buyers, as it introduces more choice back into the shaving market. I look forward to the time when there are a good few percentage of feet on the razor aisle in the supermarket that once again have DE razors and blades, and more DE product.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yeah I would agree. So that's around 50 years. A major shift by Gillette then. All these mega-outfits are like supertankers in that they take a long time to begin to tack. I suspect that Gillette/P&G are beginning to realise that their market share is maybe eroding in the cart field, ironically to a system they originally developed. This is not about cart performance but economics.

This can only be good for the shaver, as it introduces more choice back into the shaving market. I look forward to the time when there are a good few percentage of feet on the razor aisle in the supermarket that once again have DE razors and blades, and more DE product.
We can hope.

In India Gillette has had a couple models available for many years.

Metal head/plastic handle Tech-style
1636765532180.jpeg

All plastic DE:
proxy.php

Discontinued for I think a decade at least, there was the same Tech-style model available in Russia/CIS countries:
1636765616413.jpeg

All plastic, available in Phillipines:
proxy.php

A wiki says the Gillette G1000 was made and sold in England up until 1998:
1636766006202.jpeg

Top Bottom