What's new

Slant DE razor worth a try? Suggestions?

I've had a Merkur 37C for close to a decade and it's a good razor. I don't think (for me) it's any more effecient or effective than any of my vintage Gillettes, though.
I also have a vintage alleged (no logo) Hoffritz Slant travel razor. This, I find to be my most efficient and effective double edge razor in the stable. Hoffritz or not, I'm glad I have it. It lives in my Dopp kit. The wife and I camped for two weeks in early June and this was with me. I honestly had forgotten how good it was. It took off a week's worth of beard with no problems in a standard three-pass shave. Feather blade, Arko stick.

I've had a Merkur 37C for close to a decade and it's a good razor. I don't think (for me) it's any more effecient or effective than any of my vintage Gillettes, though.
I also have a vintage alleged (no logo) Hoffritz Slant travel razor. This, I find to be my most efficient and effective double edge razor in the stable. Hoffritz or not, I'm glad I have it. It lives in my Dopp kit. The wife and I camped for two weeks in early June and this was with me. I honestly had forgotten how good it was. It took off a week's worth of beard with no problems in a standard three-pass shave. Feather blade, Arko stick.
Thanks

They are definitely worth a try. From my FOCS experience, when I got the shave right it rivaled my high end razors, but it was the most inconsistent razor I have encountered. For some reason it gave me constant weepers. The ATT S1 I tried in the past is much better shaver, smoother but doesn’t get as close as the FOCS. It was too mild for me so I sold it. I may have to try the FOCS again in the past as my suspicion is that I got a faulty FOCS as one side of the razor performed flawlessly and the other side seemed off to me .And you waste alot of time to align the blade. Just my opinion but it works great for others and it’s quality brass not zamak.

They are definitely worth a try. From my FOCS experience, when I got the shave right it rivaled my high end razors, but it was the most inconsistent razor I have encountered. For some reason it gave me constant weepers. The ATT S1 I tried in the past is much better shaver, smoother but doesn’t get as close as the FOCS. It was too mild for me so I sold it. I may have to try the FOCS again in the past as my suspicion is that I got a faulty FOCS as one side of the razor performed flawlessly and the other side seemed off to me .And you waste alot of time to align the blade. Just my opinion but it works great for others and it’s quality brass not zamak.
Thanks. Yeah, I keep reading about blade alignment issues with all the Fatips. And the FOC is chrome-plated brass, right?

Another FOCS user here. I would not describe this razor as a marvel because of manufacturing quality, but it is usable as a back-up or travel razor for me. This is the only slant I have ever had, I'd say if you have to pick between 2 same-weight razors, the slant will be more comfortable, but there are other important factors to a shave as well. It's not a game changer (no pun intended) and IMHO, weight is more important. It seems you already have a reasonably heavy handle.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1-12-21.Gold-FOCS(New0.JPG

I gave my SLOC to a newish shaver, a sixteen year old having horrible trouble with cartridge razors. The SLOC solved all his problems and he feel in love with it. Of course I had to buy another for myself. I think it extremely easy to use, very mild and smooth feeling, and surprisingly efficient.

The FOCS is much the same, but more so.

I've used a few slants and will comment on a few of them.

The various Slantember threads (2018, 2019, 2020) are loaded with reviews of all sorts of slants.

This post sums up my impressions at the end of the Slantember 2020. Everything changed when the FOCS came on the market.

The Wunderbar is an incredible razor in that it's ultra smooth and quite efficient. However, it bites. The more you use it the better you get at it, but it still bites in my experience of it. I've used it daily for at least a month and it still bites. I mean bites hard! I would love to master the Wunderbar but I've not been able to.

The X3 is very smooth and a lot more efficient than some people say it is. I might use it more but for the FOCS. The X3 can bite.

Nothing much wrong with the ATT slant, or the PAA plastic slants, but they're not the FOCS.

It might be you could learn the Wunderbar, but you won't have to learn the FOCS.

Just my view of things of course. There are literally hundreds of slants I've not ever used. Most are rare.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Great post, thanks. Nice to have a grail razor! Slants still seem pretty esoteric to me. Especially with you including the three kinds of slants. (Which was news to me. Plus another poster mentioned a "semi-slant.")

The "Semi-Slant" is Parker's name for their slant razor. It's a helical design rather loosely based on the Merkur 37. I'll note here that I seem to detect similarities-in-common with many slants. Some hark back to the Merkur 37 or 39. Others look to various vintage European slants for their design. One or two started with a fresh sheet of paper and those are truly interesting.

Keep in mind that very few razors are a dramatic departure from any particular design. A slant razor can be an aggressive whisker-demolishing beast, but so can a regular DE that is designed to be that way.

Of the (now) three slant types, I've tried the two most traditional: helical and tilted DE. I have an ATT X1 in hand but have not yet used it. I'm actually on the fence about that one -- either I can start it on Monday because I'm ready to take up the next razor in line for the Tilted Picnic Slant Circus, or I can wait four weeks while I get the last two razors I already had lined up out of the way.

I'm gonna let that decision ride until tomorrow while I'm making lather. I've got the Windrose Tilted slant up next, but then again, "New Toy!" :001_rolle

I don't know. Some people seem to really love slants and some people (the majority?) seem to ignore them. Some people hate them. Some people say they're not different than other razors. I've been picking up razors so fast (I'm still pretty newbie) that I'm trying to get my RAD impulses under control. I know I could just buy one and find out for myself but I'm getting such good shaves from regular DEs I'm wondering why I''m even exploring slants. Or if I should just be getting something maybe SS in a standard DE for my grail razor.

Heh. You don't find a Grail Razor. It finds you. You'll know when that happens; don't rush it. The journey itself is worthwhile.

This is all completely in your hands, but let me make a friendly suggestion. I would pick up a relatively inexpensive slant and try it. Since we've brought the Parker Semi-Slant into the conversation, I'll say that it's a really good slant and shouldn't cause you any trepidation to try it. They're around $40 if I remember.

The RazoRock German 37 is very similar to the Parker -- they've both got "Merkur genes" but there are some differences. Mostly I think the Parker is even less likely to nick you than the German 37, and the German 37 is slightly less likely to nick than the Merkur. Frankly, the Merkur 37 is not that scary so you can see all this is quite relative. The German 37 runs about the same as the Parker, I think.

If you've been using a Merkur 34 then paying about $80 for a Merkur 37 would give you a razor that pretty much feels familiar. That can be a real benefit. You already have your technique dialled for a razor with that mass and distribution.

All three of those -- Parker, RazoRock and Merkur -- will "run well out of the box" with no need for tweaking the shave. A good smooth blade like my favourite the Astra SP and some well-hydrated slick lather and you're ready to go.

That will tell you whether there's anything to it for you.

If you're interested in getting swamped by other people's YMMVs, then check out the Brotherhood of Slant Shavers subforum. Last year's Tilted Picnic is in there; this year's is in the DE subforum. Lots of good information and pictures.

O.H.

Old Hippie

you won't have to learn the FOCS.

I finally put my finger on the things that keep me from trying the FOCS. Took me a while!

1. They use a different post threading, so you either have to put up with their handles or custom make your own. If I remember they use a M4.5x0.75 thread, where most moderns use M5x0.80 which will also fit pretty well in a 10-32 pitch. (Those pitches are off the top of my head and may be wrong, but they're close.) Why would I want to change the handle?

2. I hate polished handles; and

3. I hate barberpole handles. Between those two treatments I would have to grip tightly which would tighten up my wrist and make getting a nick more likely. For me.

4. This one was actually my first peeve but isn't really that big a deal -- but the manufacturer has not had a consistently strong reputation for quality control. I don't mind fiddling with an old razor, but a modern fresh outta the box should not need a lot of nudging and tweaking to set it up.

Just me. My central argument, however, is that for someone just dipping a toe into slants getting one that WILL play well out of the box takes a whole set of variables out of the equation. Once there's some familiarity and technique, then they'll see the things they need to change or adapt much more clearly.

O.H.

. . .
Very much my experience with the Hoffritz too. I admit I haven't tried a Feather blade in it -- usually Personnas, Red or Lab Blue. But this razor is on the schedule for this Saturday, and it's time to put a new blade into it, so . . .

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I finally put my finger on the things that keep me from trying the FOCS. Took me a while!

1. They use a different post threading, so you either have to put up with their handles or custom make your own. If I remember they use a M4.5x0.75 thread, where most moderns use M5x0.80 which will also fit pretty well in a 10-32 pitch. (Those pitches are off the top of my head and may be wrong, but they're close.) Why would I want to change the handle?

2. I hate polished handles; and

3. I hate barberpole handles. Between those two treatments I would have to grip tightly which would tighten up my wrist and make getting a nick more likely. For me.

4. This one was actually my first peeve but isn't really that big a deal -- but the manufacturer has not had a consistently strong reputation for quality control. I don't mind fiddling with an old razor, but a modern fresh outta the box should not need a lot of nudging and tweaking to set it up.

Just me. My central argument, however, is that for someone just dipping a toe into slants getting one that WILL play well out of the box takes a whole set of variables out of the equation. Once there's some familiarity and technique, then they'll see the things they need to change or adapt much more clearly.

O.H.

I understand all your arguments, but don't entirely agree with your point of view. As you mentioned you've not tried a FOCS.

I've purchased and used how many Fatips and Fatip-made razors?
  • A Mk2 Grande
  • A Mk2 Piccolo
  • A Gentile
  • Two Schönes
  • A Plisson-Joris
  • Two Mk1 Grandes
  • A CC (Gentile) Slant
  • A Chrome FOCS
  • A Gold FOCS
Maybe more, but at least that many.

I've had one bad one (a Schöne) which was replaced by the vendor. It had both alignment and threading issues.

The others have required hardly any fiddling with the blade. Usually none, but if it's required it takes like two seconds and becomes second nature very quickly. The two FOCS razors have had perfect blade alignment (of course it looks weird but it's exactly right every time).

Other than the Piccolo which has in my opinion a handle which is too skinny I like the Fatip handles a lot. But, I like barberpole handles and not everyone does.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Old Hippie

I understand all your arguments, but don't entirely agree with your point of view. As you mentioned you've not tried a FOCS.

You're absolutely correct, Jim. I respect the opinion of a man who's had at least 11 Fatip razors!

OK, soon as I pull m'foot oudda m'mouf here...I guess I'll have to pick up a FOCS and see what all the shoutin's about.

Nothing like being an opinionated bonehead. But at least it's fixable. I'll still be ugly, though.

O.H.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You're absolutely correct, Jim. I respect the opinion of a man who's had at least 11 Fatip razors!

OK, soon as I pull m'foot oudda m'mouf here...I guess I'll have to pick up a FOCS and see what all the shoutin's about.

Nothing like being an opinionated bonehead. But at least it's fixable. I'll still be ugly, though.

O.H.

Most of the time I'm trying to enable a purchase, but I wasn't this time, Chuck.

I hope you like it. Most do, but not everyone. I swear the pretty gold one shaves better than the chrome. When they make one in nickel plating I'll buy a third.

Rave @Raven Koenes has something like a quarter million Fatips but none in gold. He's very jealous of my FOCSG.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Old Hippie

Most of the time I'm trying to enable a purchase, but I wasn't this time, Chuck.

Understood, and appreciated. Let's just say I've known myself long enough to know that I can get kinda rusted-on to my opinions when there's an underlying issue that I don't want to acknowledge. In this case, I have a pretty stubborn nature. Mostly I try to be mindful of when it's activated, but sometimes I forget to take that step back. More than one fight has started that way, and that's a habit I'm really trying to break.

So recognizing my problem I went ahead and applied a chrome FOCS to cure it. It'll be here before the end of the Tilted Picnic so I'll probably just slide it in and see how it goes.

I hope you like it. Most do, but not everyone. I swear the pretty gold one shaves better than the chrome. When they make one in nickel plating I'll buy a third.

The funny thing is that I truly do know that if I don't like it I can sell it on in a heartbeat. If I really like it I may collect the set! I decided not to buy a Tedalus Essence, so that frees up enough potential cash to buy six FOCSes, shipping and taxes included. :letterk1:

You're a good friend -- you called me on it and did so in a very gentlemanly manner. I've learned to recognize opportunities to be a better person, and that was one for sure. Thanks again!

O.H.

Top Bottom