What's new

Slant DE razor worth a try? Suggestions?

I'm really pretty happy with my RR SLOC, but in my RADish quest for perfection I've been reading how slant razors shave really close and, once you figure them out, are very mild and tend to be cut-free (a priority for me). I'm thinking about the RR German 37 slant but am open to all suggestions (including "take a pass").

I love my Merkur 39c [emoji3590]. I love it's 4 inch handle and heavier than normal weight. The razor glides on my face under its own weight with no pressure, no cuts, and no razor burn. [emoji610]

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm really pretty happy with my RR SLOC, but in my RADish quest for perfection I've been reading how slant razors shave really close and, once you figure them out, are very mild and tend to be cut-free (a priority for me). I'm thinking about the RR German 37 slant but am open to all suggestions (including "take a pass").
I have a RR German 37 slant and it works really well & also the RR Wunderbar slant. To see if you like a slant razor the RR German 37 slant would be my choice. The RR Wunderbar slant can be great razor but your technique has to be light and spot on to crank out a nice irritation free shave.
The RR 37 slant was the first true BBS shave I received from a razor(4 years ago), I only need a 2 pass shave with pickups with my two slants because you will over shave because they are a little more efficient from the blade torqued with the slanted razor IMO.
You can also just buy the 37 slant head if you have lots of handles. The RR SLOC is a excellent razor and I bought 2 of them, one for my son and one for my self.
Have some great shaves!

Okay, if somebody's gotta do it --

The FOCS is a wonder, and so is my other slant, the vintage Hoffritz. With either one I can plane off that little bristly patch under my chin that other razors won't touch without a risk of irritation. Either could serve as an only razor.

OK. Here's another FOCS comment: I love my FOCS, period. But is it the best choice for a 1st slant? The iKon 102 is milder and fairly efficient, but the head is bulky in shaving under nose and around ears. The ATT S1 in stainless steel is incredibly smooth, efficient, and easy-to-use, but it's pricey and may be hard to find. The open comb version, the S2, is even more efficient but gives up too much for me in the smoothness department. The Holy Black and the older PAA bakelite slants were way too aggressive for me.

So, especially for the $$, I end up recommending the FOCS after all. I'm sure others will have to comment on the choices I haven't tried (Merkur, Razorock, Maggard, etc., and vintages).

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've taken a moderately deep dive into slants in the last couple of years. My totally subjective list of the ones I really liked is as follows:

1. Above the Tie S2
2. iKon Shavecraft 102
3. RazoRock Wunderbar
4. RazoRock German 37
5. Merkur 37
6. Fasan Double Slant
7. Windrose Helical
8. Parker Semi-Slant
9. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "El Fantasma"

I did not much appreciate the following, though remember that your experience may be different:

1. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Oxblood Bakelite Alpha Ecliptic
2. iKon X3

Cued up waiting for their two-week turns in the Lather Pit during this year's Tilted Picnic Slant Reviews:

1. Windrose Tilted
2. Peroni
3. Above the Tie X1

You will note that the FOCS does not appear. For some reason it is just not a razor I want to try -- but then I thought that about the Shavecraft 102 and have come to really appreciate that thing. Certainly there are a lotta guys who chase the FOCS.

Of the ones listed, if you're thinking of starting in slants then I suggest choosing ones that don't give the most aggressive shave possible. Some that I think of as "beginner" slants are:

1. iKon X3. I don't really like this razor because it's just a little bland for my taste, but again lots of guys like them. For the price you can't go wrong, and it is a decent shaver.

2. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "El Fantasma." This is an OC slant in ABS plastic -- very light. I like it best with a stainless handle and with a shim under the blade for a bit more gap. Otherwise the one I have feels too mild to shave. Set up the way I like it I get decent and comfortable shaves.

3. RazoRock German 37. A modern homage to the Merkur 37 which is also still made, and a fairly faithful interpretation I think. It's going to need just a bit more refinement in your technique, but for a beginner who's got some non-slant time in already it's a good choice.

4. Merkur 37/37C. The Merkur 37 has the same handle as the 34; the 39 has the same handle as the 38. I don't like the longer handle (38/39) because it's got barberpole knurling which tends to "screw" in my hands when they're wet. If you like the short 34/37 handle, it's a good shaver. If you like longer handles with diamond knurling, then get the RR German 37 and put your own handle on it. I like RR's UFO handle with their G37 head.

5. Parker Semi-Slant. Like the iKon X3 this is a good smooth shaver with gentle manners. I find that a little bland sometimes. I like the razor just fine but it's not quite all that and a sack of chips for me.

6. I'll list the Above the Tie S2 last in this list because it's the first one I'd personally grab. Where the El Fantasma will set you back about 25 bucks, you'll be into it for a lot more than that to get an S2. I discovered the razor almost by accident; getting it in a trade for a similarly-priced razor that I didn't get along with. Even though it's an OC razor I find it very mild and comfortable. I had thought about also picking up an S1 -- the smooth bar version of the S2 -- but I can't imagine that the shave would be any better with the S1. This is my Grail Razor, my Desert Island Razor (and my Dessert Island Razor! :) ), and the razor I would run back into a burning house to grab.

Finally I'll point out that I've included ALL THREE kinds of slants. The traditional "tilted" and "helical" slants, plus the fairly new category of "single-edge slants" which are by definition a tilted slant but with a different blade technology. There are plenty of explanations of tilted versus helical slants here and there on B&B.

C'mon in! The water's fine.

O.H.

I have a RR German 37 slant and it works really well & also the RR Wunderbar slant. To see if you like a slant razor the RR German 37 slant would be my choice. The RR Wunderbar slant can be great razor but your technique has to be light and spot on to crank out a nice irritation free shave.
The RR 37 slant was the first true BBS shave I received from a razor(4 years ago), I only need a 2 pass shave with pickups with my two slants because you will over shave because they are a little more efficient from the blade torqued with the slanted razor IMO.
You can also just buy the 37 slant head if you have lots of handles. The RR SLOC is a excellent razor and I bought 2 of them, one for my son and one for my self.
Have some great shaves!
Thanks. Yeah, I'm so satisfied with the SLOC I'm wondering why I'm looking for anything else. Plus I just got a great shave today with my Baili BR171. Why can't I be satisfied with what I've got? <--rhetorical

Where can I pick up just the 37 slant head?

Okay, if somebody's gotta do it --

The FOCS is a wonder, and so is my other slant, the vintage Hoffritz. With either one I can plane off that little bristly patch under my chin that other razors won't touch without a risk of irritation. Either could serve as an only razor.
Thanks. Good endorsement.

OK. Here's another FOCS comment: I love my FOCS, period. But is it the best choice for a 1st slant? The iKon 102 is milder and fairly efficient, but the head is bulky in shaving under nose and around ears. The ATT S1 in stainless steel is incredibly smooth, efficient, and easy-to-use, but it's pricey and may be hard to find. The open comb version, the S2, is even more efficient but gives up too much for me in the smoothness department. The Holy Black and the older PAA bakelite slants were way too aggressive for me.

So, especially for the $$, I end up recommending the FOCS after all. I'm sure others will have to comment on the choices I haven't tried (Merkur, Razorock, Maggard, etc., and vintages).

Thanks. Seems like a lot of slants are not all that readily available.

I've taken a moderately deep dive into slants in the last couple of years. My totally subjective list of the ones I really liked is as follows:

1. Above the Tie S2
2. iKon Shavecraft 102
3. RazoRock Wunderbar
4. RazoRock German 37
5. Merkur 37
6. Fasan Double Slant
7. Windrose Helical
8. Parker Semi-Slant
9. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "El Fantasma"

I did not much appreciate the following, though remember that your experience may be different:

1. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Oxblood Bakelite Alpha Ecliptic
2. iKon X3

Cued up waiting for their two-week turns in the Lather Pit during this year's Tilted Picnic Slant Reviews:

1. Windrose Tilted
2. Peroni
3. Above the Tie X1

You will note that the FOCS does not appear. For some reason it is just not a razor I want to try -- but then I thought that about the Shavecraft 102 and have come to really appreciate that thing. Certainly there are a lotta guys who chase the FOCS.

Of the ones listed, if you're thinking of starting in slants then I suggest choosing ones that don't give the most aggressive shave possible. Some that I think of as "beginner" slants are:

1. iKon X3. I don't really like this razor because it's just a little bland for my taste, but again lots of guys like them. For the price you can't go wrong, and it is a decent shaver.

2. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements "El Fantasma." This is an OC slant in ABS plastic -- very light. I like it best with a stainless handle and with a shim under the blade for a bit more gap. Otherwise the one I have feels too mild to shave. Set up the way I like it I get decent and comfortable shaves.

3. RazoRock German 37. A modern homage to the Merkur 37 which is also still made, and a fairly faithful interpretation I think. It's going to need just a bit more refinement in your technique, but for a beginner who's got some non-slant time in already it's a good choice.

4. Merkur 37/37C. The Merkur 37 has the same handle as the 34; the 39 has the same handle as the 38. I don't like the longer handle (38/39) because it's got barberpole knurling which tends to "screw" in my hands when they're wet. If you like the short 34/37 handle, it's a good shaver. If you like longer handles with diamond knurling, then get the RR German 37 and put your own handle on it. I like RR's UFO handle with their G37 head.

5. Parker Semi-Slant. Like the iKon X3 this is a good smooth shaver with gentle manners. I find that a little bland sometimes. I like the razor just fine but it's not quite all that and a sack of chips for me.

6. I'll list the Above the Tie S2 last in this list because it's the first one I'd personally grab. Where the El Fantasma will set you back about 25 bucks, you'll be into it for a lot more than that to get an S2. I discovered the razor almost by accident; getting it in a trade for a similarly-priced razor that I didn't get along with. Even though it's an OC razor I find it very mild and comfortable. I had thought about also picking up an S1 -- the smooth bar version of the S2 -- but I can't imagine that the shave would be any better with the S1. This is my Grail Razor, my Desert Island Razor (and my Dessert Island Razor! :) ), and the razor I would run back into a burning house to grab.

Finally I'll point out that I've included ALL THREE kinds of slants. The traditional "tilted" and "helical" slants, plus the fairly new category of "single-edge slants" which are by definition a tilted slant but with a different blade technology. There are plenty of explanations of tilted versus helical slants here and there on B&B.

C'mon in! The water's fine.

O.H.
Great post, thanks. Nice to have a grail razor! Slants still seem pretty esoteric to me. Especially with you including the three kinds of slants. (Which was news to me. Plus another poster mentioned a "semi-slant.") I don't know. Some people seem to really love slants and some people (the majority?) seem to ignore them. Some people hate them. Some people say they're not different than other razors. I've been picking up razors so fast (I'm still pretty newbie) that I'm trying to get my RAD impulses under control. I know I could just buy one and find out for myself but I'm getting such good shaves from regular DEs I'm wondering why I''m even exploring slants. Or if I should just be getting something maybe SS in a standard DE for my grail razor.

Top Bottom