Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210612_091113.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick Shave, June 13th 2021

Razor: Schick injector J1 type, Mfg 1957-64, tame mid range, long handle, enjoyable razor, more a carefree shave this morning.
Blade: Personna injector SS PTFE (4) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with excellent longevity, smooths out nicely.
Soap: Proraso green , mentholated eucalyptus croap mid range scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm tuxedo knot with black marble handle :001_wub: - excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + excellent lather painter. This synthetic brush is a perfect for lathering in luxury and must have the perfect loft height because my other 2 tuxedo knots do not feel exactly the same great feel!
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso green lotion with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Schick J1 injector + a Personna coated blade.

Brush collage June 14th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

It can be confusing, because vendors use their own names for each type of knot, plus some types are more or less the same except for coloring. For newer generation, I think of the PAA Roswell Grey (Silksmoke), Yaqi Mew Brown (Synbad), the Cashmere (Angel), Quarter Moon, and others that have come out more recently. There's also the Omega Evo and the Muhle STF, though I've not had one of those.

Take the Roswell for example, it is soft, has some backbone to it, but splays easily. It's not stiff as a board. Another thing I like about this knot is it seems to hold water better; water does not drip out of it and spray all over the place.

Is the PAA Roswell Grey the same as a Silksmoke? I ask because the 26mm Roswell knot is sold out, and that’s the one I wanted to use in a handle I’m getting.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Synthetic Summer
shave 20210613_092958_2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB :001_wub:
Blade: Schick Proline (3)
Brush: PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Reuzel Wood & Spice
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile For Men EdT Spray

Is the PAA Roswell Grey the same as a Silksmoke? I ask because the 26mm Roswell knot is sold out, and that’s the one I wanted to use in a handle I’m getting.
They seem very similar if not the exact same. Maybe some color differences. Check the loft, the PAA brushes have some backbone, but not not overly stiff. Starcraft is quoted as 53mm loft. Phantom Aerolite loft is ~55mm.

Last edited:
...the 26mm Roswell knot is sold out, and that’s the one I wanted to use in a handle I’m getting.
PAA says the "Stygian" knot as shown in the Amber Aerolite brush is the same as the Roswell Grey, just different color. The Stygian knot also seems to be available in the 26mm size, so maybe that would work for you.

Although this is about the synthetic brushes, MWF was running the show today.

Simpson Trafalgar 2
Gillette Brazilian Goodwill (welcome back, my friend)
Astra SP new blade. Only one more to go after this one. Nothing wrong with it, but not my favorite balde. I’ll be sticking to GSBs and Wilkinson Swords after that.
And last but not least, MWF (which developed a weird, San Andreas Fault like crack)

F82B721B-5B85-4E47-8481-F7D788016640.jpeg

Today’s shave confirmed what I suspected and feared: me and the Sacrificial Lamb don’t see “nose to nose”: the scent is not for me. It’s soap alright, as many have said, but my great grandmother and her powdery perfume keep hunting me while I shave (let me be clear here: I did like my great grandmother; just not her perfume).

I’m afraid we will be parting ways (assuming San Andreas Fault doesn’t part with the soap before that...)

Top Bottom