What's new

That Windsor feeling! My journey with the Windsor from Above The Tie.

Hi Manda,
I love my R2 (aluminum) with Atlas handle very much.
It can almost provide me DFS with one pass+.
Could H2 be more efficient than SSH1?
When I know the classic version would retire soon,
I am on the fence if I should get M2 and H2.
I think M1 is surely too mild for me.
R2 is quite efficient and comfortable, but it still needs some care.
M2 seems to be a victor in providing care-free shave.
I appreciate your inputs very much.

Vincent - hey! I haven't forgotten about you. I wanted to mull over your question & make sure I give you a comprehensive answer. First things first - the H2 & SSH1 have the same blade gap, so in terms of efficiency, they should be about the same. The primary difference is the blade *feel,* and the fact that the open comb allows for shaving a longer beard with less clogging than the rinse ports on the SSH1 might allow. I'd say if you like the blade feel of the R2, stick with the open comb. The SSH1 has a smoother shave with less chatter and blade feel than the Classic open combs. Still very efficient, as the guys can confirm. But if blade feel is your jam, the Windsor has less of that. (Fun fact: Windsor open combs are coming! They're up next, after we get the new intermediate Windsor base plates up & running.)

If you find that you're having to exercise more care in your shave due to the aggressiveness of the R2, then the milder M2 might be the right fit.

However, if you're looking for a more efficient shave with fewer passes, I'd go with the H2. The type of soap or cream you're using could come into play here, as well.

What is your ultimate end goal? (Of course, you could get the best of all the shaving worlds with the full Classic Open Comb collection, but if you don't want to spring for both the M2 and H2, then determining your primary goal for your shaves, combined with what you already have, would be the best way to arrive at the best fit for you.) I hope this helps! If you have further questions, feel free to hit me up via email through the website.

-Manda

Ended up getting the CM1 plate to go with my CR1 plate since they don't plan to keep the copper plates in full time production. The CR1 is nice, more efficient than one would expect for the blade gap. The CM1 will be a good option for those days I want a slightly milder shave. Also grabbed an Atlas handle to see if I like it better than the Calypso which is on the large size. So far I'm really liking my Windsor.

Not sure if anyone mentioned copper. 🤡

210530_14283-Above-The-Tie-Windsor-CH1_Simpson-Chubby3-Super_Butterscotch.jpg

Have a great weekend, Ladies and Gentlemen! 🌞

I received my CM1 plate and Atlas handle on Memorial Day (if you can believe it). I already have the CR1 plate and Calypso handle, but wanted to check out another combination. Love the Atlas handle....a bit easier to maneuver the razor with this shorter handle. Now, the CM1 is super mild as well as smooth. I had to check to make sure I had installed a blade. I did 3 passes and touch ups, but still had stubble. I changed over to the CR1 plate and did a 4th pass....perfect. The CM1 is just too mild for me. The CR1 is perfect....now I know.

I've never owned an ATT razor, and honestly don't know much about any past or present offerings.
I stay away from mild razors and like of the most efficient ones.
Okay guys what are going to be a couple of the most efficient ATT razors, or plate top cap configurations?

I've never owned an ATT razor, and honestly don't know much about any past or present offerings.
Okay guys what are going to be a couple of the most efficient ATT razors, or plate top cap configurations?

Since the classic base plates and caps are being retired, the most efficient DE razor you can get from ATT would be the Windsor SSH1...someone correct me if I'm mistaken. I currently have the Windsor R plate, which is their medium/regular plate and get wonderful shaves from it. I haven't tried the H plate so I'm not sure how much more efficient it is over the R. ATT makes great, high quality razors and worth consideration.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Grab a Classic Cap (while you still can) and a CH1 copper baseplate:

20210515_194142~2.jpg
20210515_194253~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Mixed Metal CH1 (Copper Calypso Handle, Stainless Classic H1 Cap)
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Persian Jar (Shavemac 24mm Finest)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Skin Tonic
Fragrance: Preferred Stock

Outstanding ATT razor configuration! The ATT Mixed Metal CH1 with Copper Calypso Handle and Stainless Classic H1 Cap is highly efficient, smooth and very effective. Plus, it looks pretty darn cool. :thumbup: :cool:

Excellent shave! :cool:

If you want a slightly less efficient shave, grab the Windsor cap.

Or just grab the Windsor SSH1. :)

Yes, I really like the Copper. ;)

YMMV

Thanks to the bank holiday of Corpus Christi and lots of rain, I found some time to take a new picture of the good things I enjoy. The Windsor CH1 gave me an incredible BBS shave this morning with Mitchells Wool Fat. 🏄‍♂️😎

View attachment 1276236

Nice shot. Can you tell me how much more efficient the CH1 plate is compared to the CR1? Contemplating getting an H to try. The CR1 shaves great, but does require a little extra buffing to get BBS. Is the CH1 still smooth and comfortable?

Can you tell me how much more efficient the CH1 plate is compared to the CR1? Contemplating getting an H to try. The CR1 shaves great, but does require a little extra buffing to get BBS.

As a preliminary remark, let me note, that the overall majority of my shaves with the Windsor have happened with the stainless steel plates, so my answer is true for my experiencen with the SSR1 and SSH1.
I had ordered the Copper plates later on as I wanted a second handle anyway and picked the CR1 and CH1 bases from the returns section.
As the dimensions are identical, there should be no difference anyway, however with my first shave with the CH1 I had the impression that it did not glide as perfect as the SSH1. As if the copper tends to stop earlier. Btw, you can already feel this by sliding across the material with your finger. But it should only be dependend on the slickness of your leather and today I noticed to difference in use with the CH1.
--

You should get an H-baseplate, it's considerably more efficient than the R.

For me the difference is many hours before feeling stubbles again, probably like late afternoon with the R and late evening with the H. You might not feel a noteworthy difference directly after having shaved, but it becomes evident during the day.

I remember that I had asked myself on some evenings, if I should skip the shave of the next day, so good were the H-results. Of course I continued my every day shaves. However, this thought never crossed my mind when having used the R.

Or probably the best example I can give: I had written this earlier in this thread. I love to wear turtlenecks in the colder seasons and when I'm not shaven BBS, my stubbles totally rip them. It is absolutely clear for me that when cold autum and winter returns, the H-configuration is a must for me.

Is the CH1 still smooth and comfortable?

Yes! Especially this is the reason, why the Windsor SSH1 has totally replaced my other aggressive razors (R41 and Futur). It's as efficient as these while being so much more gentle. Because of this I named the SSH1 here as an R41 that understands.

But naturally due to the smaller blade gap you can shave a bit more careless with the R-base. It is more forgiving when using slight pressure. However, the H behaves pretty similar, it just goes much more deep and after having used the R I had to remind myself again, that the H just wants to glide by almost itself and when this becomes nature, it's total comfort for me. No need to ask, he's a smooth operator. 😺

Finally, coming back to my turtlenecks, now in the summertime I also enjoy shaving with the R-baseplate and I cannot deny that the skin adapts to the treatment and forgets being shaved faster.

When I want a thorough shave, I go 3 passes with the R, with the H I can go with 2 passes. In each case I use a very quick kind of clean up pass which happens without lather, I just ride home on the residual slickness of the lather on my wet face with the blade wet, like flying over the last felt remaining mini stubbles.

Last edited:
As a preliminary remark, let me note, that the overall majority of my shaves with the Windsor have happened with the stainless steel plates, so my answer is true for my experiencen with the SSR1 and SSH1.
I had ordered the Copper plates later on as I wanted a second handle anyway and picked the CR1 and CH1 bases from the returns section.
As the dimensions are identical, there should be no difference anyway, however with my first shave with the CH1 I had the impression that it did not glide as perfect as the SSH1. As if the copper tends to stop earlier. Btw, you can already feel this by sliding across the material with your finger. But it should only be dependend on the slickness of your leather and today I noticed to difference in use with the CH1.
--

You should get an H-baseplate, it's considerably more efficient than the R.

For me the difference is many hours before feeling stubbles again, probably like late afternoon with the R and late evening with the H. You might not feel a noteworthy difference directly after having shaved, but it becomes evident during the day.

I remember that I had asked myself on some evenings, if I should skip the shave of the next day, so good were the H-results. Of course I continued my every day shaves. However, this thought never crossed my mind when having used the R.

Or probably the best example I can give: I had written this earlier in this thread. I love to wear turtlenecks in the colder seasons and when I'm not shaven BBS, my stubbles totally rip them. It is absolutely clear for me that when cold autum and winter returns, the H-configuration is a must for me.

Yes! Especially this is the reason, why the Windsor SSH1 has totally replaced my other aggressive razors (R41 and Futur). It's as efficient as these while being so much more gentle. Because of this I named the SSH1 here as an R41 that understands.

But naturally due to the smaller blade gap you can shave a bit more careless with the R-base. It is more forgiving when using slight pressure. However, the H behaves pretty similar, it just goes much more deep and after having used the R I had to remind myself again, that the H just wants to glide by almost itself and when this becomes nature, it's total comfort for me. No need to ask, he's a smooth operator. 😺

Finally, coming back to my turtlenecks, now in the summertime I also enjoy shaving with the R-baseplate and I cannot deny that the skin adapts to the treatment and forgets being shaved faster.

When I want a thorough shave, I go 3 passes with the R, with the H I can go with 2 passes. In each case I use a very quick kind of clean up pass which happens without lather, I just ride home on the residual slickness of the lather on my wet face with the blade wet, like flying over the last felt remaining mini stubbles.

Wow...thank you for the detailed reply. Very good information....thanks so much.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Does Windsor Pro cap make any noticeable difference in efficiency to CR1 base plate compared to normal Windsor cap?

That is a very good question. 🤔

I have the Windsor Pro and Standard caps - definitely a difference between these two. Kind of presumed (never a good idea) that the Windsor and Windsor Pro caps have the same measurements. Briefly poked around the ATT site but did not see specific specs on the Windsor Pro cap.

Does Windsor Pro cap make any noticeable difference in efficiency to CR1 base plate compared to normal Windsor cap?

Yes, the Pro cap gives more blade exposure, 1.5 mm for the Pro vs 1 mm with the regular Windsor. (There is also a slightly different angle produced on the blades.)
On this see:

Top Bottom