What's new

That Windsor feeling! My journey with the Windsor from Above The Tie.

I was fortunate enough to get the copper handle and the 3 base plates before out of stock.
IMG_1712.jpg

I was fortunate enough to get the copper handle and the 3 base plates before out of stock. View attachment 1265400

Simply wonderful! ✨

I considered the copper Atlas also months ago, but they are forever out of stock for the copper top plates for the Windsor, so I was fine with just adding the tiny, sexy detail of the copper plates to my steel Windsors. But whatever you combine, the mixed metal Windsor always shines. 🕶

As you know, on Sunday I switched from the SSH1 configuration to the SSR1, which had been my plan for summer anyway. And it's also perfect for me. It's a DFS to BBS shave in a jiffy with no effort, it's just that at the end of the day I feel my stubbles a bit more. Over the day I can only feel a difference after some hours, but I can't see it.
I knew from my initial weeks with the R-base how efficient and nice it does the job, but I'm enlightened again with the experience. And not that my skin was irritated in any way with my favourite H-plate, but it recognises the softer treatment.

I want to wait until @Above The Tie releases the Windsor Slant (so cool!) and then I will also get their 2 new plates for the Windsor which are right in-between the 3 current options. 🔥

--

Yesterdays shave, I just placed the Windsor SSH1 there instead so I wouldn't have to clean the SSR1 for the photo:

210513_14242-Above-The-Tie-Windsor_Simpson_Chubby2-Manchurian-FT.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Saturday's Shave. :cool:

20210515_194142~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Mixed Metal CH1 (Copper Calypso Handle, Stainless Classic H1 Cap)
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Persian Jar (Shavemac 24mm Finest)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Skin Tonic
Fragrance: Preferred Stock

20210515_194253~2.jpg

Outstanding ATT razor configuration! The ATT Mixed Metal CH1 with Copper Calypso Handle and Stainless Classic H1 Cap is highly efficient, smooth and very effective. Plus, it looks pretty darn cool. :thumbup: :cool:

Saturday's Shave. :cool:

View attachment 1267458
Razor: ATT Mixed Metal CH1 (Copper Calypso Handle, Stainless Classic H1 Cap)
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Persian Jar (Shavemac 24mm Finest)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Skin Tonic
Fragrance: Preferred Stock

View attachment 1267459
Outstanding ATT razor configuration! The ATT Mixed Metal CH1 with Copper Calypso Handle and Stainless Classic H1 Cap is highly efficient, smooth and very effective. Plus, it looks pretty darn cool. :thumbup: :cool:

Wonderful, that's really a very special mix, thank you big time! And I believe every single word you said. 😎

Here from today is my Windsor with the same plate:

210516_14250-Above-The-Tie-Windsor-SSCH1_Simpson_Chubby3-SUBS.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Wonderful, that's really a very special mix, thank you big time! And I believe every single word you said. 😎

Here from today is my Windsor with the same plate:

View attachment 1267533

Excellent and beautiful razor! 😍

I've tried both the Windsor Pro cap and the Classic H1 cap with the CH1 & CR1 baseplates. If I'm reading the ATT specs correctly, the H1 cap looks like it allows 1mm more blade exposure? The CH1 baseplate and Classic H1 cap feels like the most efficient ATT DE combination I've tried.

Wondering if anyone knows, or perhaps @Above The Tie could please clarify?

I just picked up a Windsor set from their returns section. I got the SSR1 base and Windsor cap along with a Calypso handle, and a CR1 base just for that cool mixed metal look. The only finish I could get everything in was satin except for the CR1 base which is polished. Would have liked to get all polished, but it's all out of stock.

I've only shaved with this razor twice, once with the standard SSR1 plate and once with the CR1 plate. Both shaves were nice and smooth, but I believe the CR1 base provided just a bit better glide. Nice close, comfortable shaves each time. Looking forward to more shaves with this razor.

Excellent and beautiful razor! 😍

I've tried both the Windsor Pro cap and the Classic H1 cap with the CH1 & CR1 baseplates. If I'm reading the ATT specs correctly, the H1 cap looks like it allows 1mm more blade exposure? The CH1 baseplate and Classic H1 cap feels like the most efficient ATT DE combination I've tried.

Wondering if anyone knows, or perhaps @Above The Tie could please clarify?

Hi, David! Manda here - ATT's new(ish) Ops Manager. (Are you still new when you're 7 months in?) To answer your question - the Windsor Pro cap has only slightly more blade exposure than the Windsor cap. We're talking less than 1mm difference. The other differences between the caps (besides manufacturer) are purely aesthetic - where the Windsor Pro cap has a polished top & satin underside, the Windsor cap is one complete finish all around. Beyond that, dimensions are nearly identical.

Now, the Standard cap (which is part of the retired Classic line) isn't as long or as wide as the Windsor or Windsor Pro caps. It does not cover the ends of the blades the way the Windsor/Pro cap does, and it has a higher blade exposure than both, clocking in at 2mm. The Windsor Pro cap clocks in with a blade exposure between the Windsor & the Classic Standard, in order to bring back some of the sing of the Classic.

The Windsor & Windsor Pro best fit the copper base plates, as the copper are part of the Windsor design line, but you can absolutely use a Classic Standard cap with the copper or Windsor plates. The base plate will just stick out a bit around the edges of the cap, rather than aligning the way it normally would.

I hope that helps! (This is my first time engaging on B&B! But if you email the website, 'tis moi who you will likely hear back from.)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi, David! Manda here - ATT's new(ish) Ops Manager. (Are you still new when you're 7 months in?) To answer your question - the Windsor Pro cap has only slightly more blade exposure than the Windsor cap. We're talking less than 1mm difference. The other differences between the caps (besides manufacturer) are purely aesthetic - where the Windsor Pro cap has a polished top & satin underside, the Windsor cap is one complete finish all around. Beyond that, dimensions are nearly identical.

Now, the Standard cap (which is part of the retired Classic line) isn't as long or as wide as the Windsor or Windsor Pro caps. It does not cover the ends of the blades the way the Windsor/Pro cap does, and it has a higher blade exposure than both, clocking in at 2mm. The Windsor Pro cap clocks in with a blade exposure between the Windsor & the Classic Standard, in order to bring back some of the sing of the Classic.

The Windsor & Windsor Pro best fit the copper base plates, as the copper are part of the Windsor design line, but you can absolutely use a Classic Standard cap with the copper or Windsor plates. The base plate will just stick out a bit around the edges of the cap, rather than aligning the way it normally would.

I hope that helps! (This is my first time engaging on B&B! But if you email the website, 'tis moi who you will likely hear back from.)

Thank you, Manda! Very much appreciate your response. :)

The information you provided explains the differences I feel between the Windsor Pro and Classic Standard Caps when paired with the CH1 baseplate. The Classic Standard Cap results in more blade feel, higher efficiency and increased effectiveness.

The Classic Standard Cap + CH1 Baseplate is an excellent combination that has been elevated into my top tier rotation. :thumbup:

Hi Manda!! 😎🤚

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
So, Manda and friends, good morning. As I trudge upstairs to endure the drudgery of hot water, Martin de Candre Fougere, a Simpson Chubby 1 in best badger, a Gillette Silver Blue, 4711, and an Above the Tie Windsor with a CM1 plate, the sheer monotony of day after day of repetitious perfect 10 shaves is bound to wear me down and make me grow a beard, NOT. This, folks, for this 72 year old wet shaver, is the great reward for all that searching. Everyone has their own ideal, but for me this is IT, and the ATT is the centerpiece. Thanks to B&B with special shout outs to @never-stop-learning for introducing me to the mixed metal and to Manda for feeding this new addiction.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Y'all are not making life easy for me. Really looking at a Windsor now!
The CM1 plate in the Windsor gives a shave that is actually surprising for combining extreme mildness, efficiency, and closeness. It honestly feels as close to bladeless as a Feather AS-D2 but for me at least gets BBS even on areas that other razors (other than straights) struggled to get. I was already quite happy with the SSR-1, but the CM1 is better for me. Also it comes with the short barber pole handle, but I prefer the added length and weight and the knurling of the Kronos. The barber pole was not as grippy. FWIW I have a fairly heavy but old and grey beard and shave daily. I also note that this razor gets excellent blade life.

The CM1 plate in the Windsor gives a shave that is actually surprising for combining extreme mildness, efficiency, and closeness. It honestly feels as close to bladeless as a Feather AS-D2 but for me at least gets BBS even on areas that other razors (other than straights) struggled to get. I was already quite happy with the SSR-1, but the CM1 is better for me. Also it comes with the short barber pole handle, but I prefer the added length and weight and the knurling of the Kronos. The barber pole was not as grippy. FWIW I have a fairly heavy but old and grey beard and shave daily. I also note that this razor gets excellent blade life.

Thanks for the multiple detailed feedbacks and observations - you're essentially describing an ideal razor for me. I've been flipping between this and the Phoenix Meta4 (presently out of stock) but this really sounds like an exceptional shaver. I'm glad it's bringing you such wonderful shaves.

Thanks for the multiple detailed feedbacks and observations - you're essentially describing an ideal razor for me. I've been flipping between this and the Phoenix Meta4 (presently out of stock) but this really sounds like an exceptional shaver. I'm glad it's bringing you such wonderful shaves.

I just got my first Windsor SSR1 razor a few days ago. I also got the CR1 copper baseplate. I've only shaved with it 3 times so far (once with SSR1 plate and twice with the CR1 plate) and let me tell you, the results are stellar. This razor is very comfortable and very efficient for the blade gap. It's on the heavy side, but I've been shaving with Ti razors lately so stainless feels a bit hefty now. Highly recommend ATT products (I also have an S1 that I use on occasion).

@all: Thank you so much for sharing your experience and stories! It's gold to me and makes this thread such a worthwhile read!

Over here it's the long Pentecost weekend and regardless if you celebrate the season, I wish you all peaceful and happy days. 🌞

In any case, let's celebrate our fine hobby - I picked the Windsor Pro today:

210523_14293-Abbove-The-Tie-Windsor-Pro_Simpson-Chubby1-Manchurian_Ivory.jpg

@Above The Tie :

Manda! ✨

So wonderful to have you here with us! Thank you so much for the stellar support you allowed me to experience each and every time and your always, always charming way! 🍷🌞

This is for you:

View attachment 1269842

@drydown As always, you know how to make a girl's day! :)

I'm here to help if there are ever any questions. Just give me a shout via the email. And maybe you guys will see me around here a bit more. I've learned a lot from reading many of your posts. Great dialogue. You guys are true connoisseurs.

- Manda

@drydown As always, you know how to make a girl's day! :)

I'm here to help if there are ever any questions. Just give me a shout via the email. And maybe you guys will see me around here a bit more. I've learned a lot from reading many of your posts. Great dialogue. You guys are true connoisseurs.

- Manda

I agree with others.....thanks for the great customer service....and welcome to B&B.

Top Bottom