What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still In On The Sixteenth Day Of GRUME-ing

Shower and Proraso white prep
Feather AS-D2 with Parker Platinum blade (3x)
Proraso green cream with added menthol crystals and a drop of glycerin
RR Plissoft brush
Cremo Cooling balm

COMMENTS

Restraint is akin to a spiritual discipline for me at this time. It is a practice of seeking satisfaction, balance and moderation. The GRUME this month also has a deeper influence in other aspects of my life. I again want to think Pdieten for his link to the NY Times article in his earlier post. I also want to thank Owen Bawn for his wit and philosophical points. Their discussion hits home for me. I truly enjoy using shaving items that I already have without continuously seeking more, more and more all the time. As a new wet shaver, I think I have learned a lot in the first half of this month.

For those that have read about my previous trials with Feather razors I have made somewhat of a break-through. The AS-D2 is a heavy razor. The Feather Popular is a very light razor. I stated in an earlier post that I preferred the Popular over the AS-D2. Today I used the latter razor and had a Eureka moment! If I hold the heavier razor without any inward pressure it shaves great. It was so simple. A heavier razor requires even less pressure than a lighter one. I know this sounds so rudimentary and I have been telling myself that I was shaving pressure free but apparently I discovered a lesser level of pressure than in my previous experience.

But Wait! There's More! If you call in the next 30 minutes... Sorry; I had to throw that in. I am no longer bothered by a small amount of audio feedback or feeling the blade cut whiskers. For some reason I was somewhat uncomfortable with this feedback. Today, I relaxed and actually enjoyed these sensations! As an added bonus, we'll throw in...Sorry. I am still shaving WTG and XTG on my neckline. I don't experience any irritation and now I am confident about using menthol products. The baby steps are continuing.

Good Day!

Last edited:
Some guys on social media are doing a Stirling week, so decided to play along. My dad handed over a sample of Stirling British leather which he loathed a while back. I used it a few times and was not a fan of the scent. Actually threw it out but decided to salvage it and try it again later. Today was the day, and not gonna lie, I think it’s grown on me. Won’t buy a full puck of it but happy I kept it around.

GRUME is always good to give products second chances, for both the sake of variety and to see if tastes change. Wouldn’t have tried it again otherwise.

A couple random questions for May GRUME-ers:

How many of you palm strop your blades and your thoughts about the process?

What is your favorite "smooth-comfortable" blade as opposed to "sharp" blade?

Still in trying an unpleasant blade .. two more blade to try and I will have gone through the blade I got in that
pif

Time to start thinking what is next so far the Shark stainless, the Voshkod and the Zaza blades are the winner, the Zaza was by far the surprise, not sharp but oh so smooth on the first 2 shaves ... I guess I'll get a tuck of each of those and do a full month of shaving with each blade and see how repeatable this is.

Also if I catch the dude that keep on refilling my proraso tube making it last and last and last ... you sir are not nice how am I supposed to do my restock day if that thing don't run out ...

I palm strop Treet Classic blades after a few uses, and sometimes any other blade if it starts feeling a little rough. Residue does come off of the edge. I generally don’t try to push blade longevity anymore though so haven’t felt the need to palm strop. I have however, felt a rough feeling blade smooth out, though some people will say they don’t feel a difference. YMMV.

Still in, but no shave today. I got my mojo back with the Rex Ambassador yesterday and made progress lathering Mystic Waters soaps. GRUME has been great for trying great soaps and brushes that I had put back on the shelf. I don't need to place new orders, I just need to open up the closet door :).

Still in? I don't know. I need the GRUME philosophy panel to reconvene, and judge my fate.

The time is not yet right for me to tell the full story, so I will have to resort to a hypothetical that I consider to be a reasonable representation of the issue for purposes of judgment.

Imagine that you have a neighbor. You've done each other favors over the years. One day he comes to you and says: "You know that razor I used to shave with, that you liked? You can have it for free if you want. Otherwise I guess I'll sell it."

You say yes. Are you out of the GRUME?

Here's my take: yes, you're out. Anyone would sympathize with your position, sometimes fate comes along and makes a mess of your plans, but you committed to the acquisition of shave gear, so that's the end of it.

I can imagine other points of view, though. What say you?

In the meantime, I'll consider my status probational, and talk about my shave.

1621195725933.png

What we have here is:

A nearly used-up tub of Mike's Lime. I like it a lot, and took advantage of my April failure to get some more.

A 70HRC Taiwanese razor, that was an absolute bear to build a flat bevel on, and hone. Can't imagine how many hours I spent on it. Crossing my fingers that it resists wear as well as it resisted my honing efforts.

The last of my April post-flunk purchases. After my successful search for a deep green stone-handled brush had knocked me out of the GRUME, I was making (or declining) previously-forbidden purchases and closing browser tabs, including the one that was on the stone brush handles page of Elite Razor's site. I'd been looking there for a long time, but nothing green showed up. So naturally when I hit refresh this time, there it was, a perfect vision in green....

My second shave with the 70HRC razor, and I continue to be impressed with the shave. There's something I really enjoy about shaving with a hard steel; part of it is that the rigidity transmits the sensations of cutting hair back to the fingers. It's almost like having an extra eye on your shave. Very close shave, and even BBS on the neck if I feel in any direction except against the map.

It is not, however, a well-made razor. I got a little weeper slice on my cheek because I unconsciously assumed that there was some tension in the pivot, but no, it just flops around loose if you let it, and it flopped onto my cheek. Gently, no big deal, but it interferes with what is otherwise an affectionate view of this razor.

Still in? I don't know. I need the GRUME philosophy panel to reconvene, and judge my fate.

The time is not yet right for me to tell the full story, so I will have to resort to a hypothetical that I consider to be a reasonable representation of the issue for purposes of judgment.

Imagine that you have a neighbor. You've done each other favors over the years. One day he comes to you and says: "You know that razor I used to shave with, that you liked? You can have it for free if you want. Otherwise I guess I'll sell it."

You say yes. Are you out of the GRUME?
Sounds like an un-solicited gift to me. I would say “Thanks!” instead of “Yes”.
I agree with 'Bout Time. An unsolicited gift is a kindness, not a failure, and the razor is going to a good home. Take the win.

Still in and went for a shave when I probably could have waited another couple of days

Pre Shave: Warm water face wash
Razor: Merkur Mergress (1)
Blade: Polsilver SI (4)
Brush: Omega S-Brush
Soap: Speick shave stick
Post Shave: Alum Block
Davidoff Cool Water AS splash
Nivea Protect and Care ASB

Result: Nice smooth, irritation free shave.I do like this Speick stick as to me it produces wonderful slick lather. No nicks or weepers 😎😎😎
Thinking of maybe going a whole month just using Speick stick......but with so many other soaps in the den not sure when that will be 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve tried palm stropping but really haven’t noticed a difference. It does take some soap scum off and I can see how it would smooth out a rough blade. I don’t bother any more because I have more blades then I can use in my lifetime.

I like Voskhods, Gillette Platinums, Gillette Silver Blues and 7 O’Clock Super Platinums and consider them smooth and comfortable. I can’t remember how many guys are in this month’s GRUME but you’ll probably get that many dissenting opinions. YMMV.

Still in, 51.6% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #7
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase lotion.

Out of my current soaps, I like the nostalgic scent of Palmolive the best.

Got a BBS face and DFS neck, and the post-shave was midway between Arko and MWF.

1) I have not tried palm-stropping a DE blade. Usually I remove and dry the blade, though.

2) Wizamet SIs are "sharp enough", and feel smooth and comfortable from the start.

Astra SPs are "sharp enough", comfortable enough on shave 1, but smooth out even better on #2.

I don't think the Wizamets were worth the premium on very marginal comfort grounds, but it's fun to have something else to rotate.

Top Bottom