What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Which book? Donald Robertson? Pierre Hadot? Or another that I need to get?

We were just talking about this and it turns out there is another book, published just this week. The author just wrote an article for the NYT (probably to help raise awareness of the book, as that is how I ran across this.)

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (8)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • Fuller* brush
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
Do you ever have a day when you plan to do a one-quick-pass shave, but the lather is so good that you're enticed to do a second pass? That was today for me. The Formula T soap is just really easy to use and the Fuller brush seems to agree. I loaded a moist brush for 10 seconds and got enough rich, slick lather for three passes. I couldn't conscience flushing two-thirds of the lather, so a second pass was had, while the leftovers went into a renewed Mug of Gross.

*I have no idea what the model is, as there is no number or name, nor do I know if the knot is original, but it works a treat!

Onward!

Still in.

No picture today. I took one, but my bowl had gunk in it from the previous shave. If that seemed gross to me, how would it look to all those people who are not me?

After the easy, boring shave with the Thiers-Issard yesterday, I wanted a challenge. So I broke out the Big Bad Butch Harner. Over 150 grams of steel and ebony. I'm still learning how to handle this razor. I was pleased that it finally feels comfortable and familiar in the hand. That's a long way from mastery, though I think I can finally see mastery winking from somewhere on a distant horizon. Three weepers, though! Three! That never, ever happens, except with this razor. It's not the weight. It was the weight, at first, but now I am comfortable with that. It's the sheer size, and the sheer thickness of the spine on an 8/8 razor. I keep placing it wrong. I'll figure it out eventually.

I paired it with SV 70th Anniversary. I remember reading that SV has "strong, persistent scents." It's a good thing I read that before trying an SV soap; it probably would have scared me off. I'd call them "classy, masculine, really well-crafted high-quality scents," myself. But if you want the least obtrusive of the SV soaps I've tried, this is the one to get. I don't even know how it smells, I never think about it, just that it's nice. And it's an SV, so it's really great to shave with (oops, some partisanship slipped out).

For a brush, I picked my first-ever brush, a wood-handle Parker badger of some sort, from Amazon. It's the first and last brush I picked purely based on Amazon reviews. It's very serviceable, very decent, and does the job...and I'll probably give it away at some point, because it doesn't have much of a role, since I'm now living in my own version of Brush Paradise.

Still in

Loving the Baume cream and balm this week. My suspected shedder Shavemac seems to have finally settled in too. Not a single hair lost this week. You’ve gotta love a plump 3-band bulb. Good times.

0472800F-C52E-4E4C-BBAC-DDA3A37D003F.jpeg

Still in, 45.1% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Astra SP #2
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Polished the Rockwell cap. The aim wasn't to get it shiny, but to make the matte finish glide more smoothly. Used the Ti handle again, to knock 30g off the weight, and chose R5.

Tried being mindful this time, instead of letting autopilot kick in, and got a great result with no irritation. BBS face, better than usual DFS neck.

Still in.

After a few weather related delays I’m back on the ground at home. Feels good. Sorry California, you’re just not for me and I can never leave you fast enough. It’s not you, it’s me.

I didn’t shave tonight but did receive a trade from a fellow GRUMEmen. When he asked what I wanted for trade I gave him a dollar amount and said surprise me since there’s nothing I truly need or want. He surprised me by hooking me up with something truly useful and it’s something I can’t wait to try. Dove Men+Care face lotion. The most exciting thing to me is it’s SPF 15. I know there’s at least one other head-shaver in the GRUME and I’m sure he’ll second my opinion that a sunburned scalp is one of the most miserable things to experience. A sunburn is how I originally came to terms with how much hair I’d lost and was the impetus for me to start shaving my head.

Anyway, a true heartfelt thanks for the trade. I’m going to shave tomorrow and work in the yard.

Den

Still in

Schick Injector Type G4 - Schick 66
Schick Injector (9)
Stirling Varen sample
Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive in Natural Horse
La Toja splash

Still getting great shaves with the Stirling Varen soap but I think I've decided the scent isn't a keeper. I won't be getting a full tub of this soap when I finish the sample.

Still in.

Shaved this morning but skipped the Dove since it’s raining here. I’m not wasting the SPF until it’s sunny. Took a ton of hair off after a week with no shaves.

Head shave and face shave.

» Lead w/Gillette Platinum “Blue” (16) - head shaves only
» Twig w/Gillette Platinum “Blue” 1/2 blade (16) - cheeks, neck and goatee
» PAA Black Bot CK-6
» Zenith Copper/B03-A26-L (aka B28)
» Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel
» PAA Black Bot AS
» PAA Black Bot EDC (because I want to smell extra pretty)

It’s great to be home. I hope you all have a great weekend.

On The Fourteenth And Fifteenth Day Of GRUME-er-ing...
Still In

I have been to Arkansas for a two day trip to visit family and attend my nephew's graduation.
It was a fun trip but I didn't have the time to check-in yesterday.

The only razor I took with me was the Feather "Popular". I also used a Parker Super Platinum blade.
I face lathered both days using Lather & Wood Bay Rum soap and a Fendrihan brush.

The Parker blade seems to shave very smooth and comfortable. I will try it in other razors to see if I get a similar outcome. I now want to experiment with blades that will provide a smooth experience more so than focusing on sharpness.
The Feather Popular is a great razor! At this time, I like it better than the Feather AS-D2 which cost 10X the price. Did I just say that? Yes.

Great rip and Great shaves.
Good Day!

Still in, 48.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Astra SP #3
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Kept all the controllable variables the same, and got a good shave, but not in yesterday's league.

And on the Day of Reckoning, Roedeer did shave with a soap that was not Mitchell's Wool Fat, and the world did tremble with that thunder.

I was doing a rotation (Arko, Palmolive, Speick, MWF) until recently, and thought those pucked and bowl-lathered stick soaps were "just fine".

All four soaps deliver great lathering and cutting, but MWF stood out with near-zero post-shave irritation and aftershave sting. Bought two MWF refills, after I failed the April GRUME.

Maybe there's a common ingredient in stick soaps - bad for me - that's absent in hard soaps, and there are loads of exotic triple-milled soaps that would be even better than The Fat.

This is a dangerous line of thought to be taking, or talking, in a GRUME that's still in its first half...

We were just talking about this and it turns out there is another book, published just this week. The author just wrote an article for the NYT (probably to help raise awareness of the book, as that is how I ran across this.)

Pdieten, Thanks for the link to the NY Times article. I have added it to my bookmarks. It is a wise commentary about our post modern world. I also recommend the article to others.

Top Bottom