What's new

Try to find a fit razor for me

Hi guys I am pretty new in the wet shaving and I really enjoy it so far,the only problem is that on my neck no matter what I do I get irritated. I use an muhle r89 with persona blade,Astra blue, Gillette 7oclock green,Bic,Gillette blue and with all I feel that they tug my beard,doesn't cut through it but feels like it's pulling my beard. Especially on the chin areas,do you guys think I need more agressive razor or open comb one? I was thinking of fatip open comb because it's cheaper and I don't have to many money to buy more expensive ones.all.of this are like after 3 days worth of beard growth not more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys I am pretty new in the wet shaving and I really enjoy it so far,the only problem is that on my neck no matter what I do I get irritated. I use an muhle r89 with persona blade,Astra blue, Gillette 7oclock green,Bic,Gillette blue and with all I feel that they tug my beard,doesn't cut through it but feels like it's pulling my beard. Especially on the chin areas,do you guys think I need more agressive razor or open comb one? I was thinking of fatip open comb because it's cheaper and I don't have to many money to buy more expensive ones.all.of this are like after 3 days worth of beard growth not more

Fatip OC/Schone might be worth a try. Exposure with no gap, very rigid , very unlike the r89.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

My advice would be to work on your technique with your existing razor and blade before trying other razors and blades. Keep using a light touch, etc. Also, maybe you need to change your pre-shave routine, including your shave cream or soap. You didn't mention the cream or soap you're using, so that could be a problem. If you're using the foamy stuff in a aerosol can, switching to a good shave cream or soap will make a big difference. Good luck.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is my beard after 4 days(I decided to not shave until my irritation heals) what you think about it? Is the hair thick? I think you can see the irritation in the pictures
Also see my weird grouth pattern especially on lower neck? This gives me the problems

I have some odd hair patterns too. As has been said, technique is of utmost importance as is a good shaving lather. Even though I first shaved with a DE razor, I found going back to it after 30 years it was hard to understand the angle of the razor (cartridges are pretty easy) as well as learning how to let the weight of the razor do the work, and not pressing it into my flesh.

My advice would be to work on your technique with your existing razor and blade before trying other razors and blades. Keep using a light touch, etc. Also, maybe you need to change your pre-shave routine, including your shave cream or soap. You didn't mention the cream or soap you're using, so that could be a problem. If you're using the foamy stuff in a aerosol can, switching to a good shave cream or soap will make a big difference. Good luck.

I use proraso green and as preshave I take a hot shower. I tried also Palmolive shaving cream and it was the same

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is my beard after 4 days(I decided to not shave until my irritation heals) what you think about it? Is the hair thick? I think you can see the irritation in the pictures
Also see my weird grouth pattern especially on lower neck? This gives me the problems

Everybody has weird hair patterns on their face. You just need to figure out how to properly shave your face. It takes time.

Most of the time the razor doesn't matter once you dial in the technique.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Your software looks good. Have you tried carefully shaving with the grain on your first past? Your face map does seem to be quite the challenge looking at how the grain changes direction so often. The chin is usually where the thickest hair lies, so pulling is not unusual. I normally just blade buff that area.

I shaved with the grain and many time I do but it's the same unfortunately

Hmm, that is pretty bad luck. This hobby can involve a lot of trial and error to find the right technique and product combination. The other folks here do give valid advice, especially since they're into it a lot longer. As many said, technique is usually the first thing you look at.

Well if that doesn't work out, my next suggestion would be to sample even more blades. You might just be unlucky with the blades you have so far. You can probably find or ask around for suggestions. Just get a few different packs together with the Fatip you're eyeing. ;) Experiment with different techniques and products within your means of course. Hope you find your shave nirvana!

Thx man I will try new blades in the future and also after I heal I try to shave more carefully,what about the fatip,do you think it's to big jump from r89?

My tip for you is to buy a Laurel soap or an Olive oil soap.
Most of my problems went away when I started using Laurel- and Olive oil soaps for all my personal hygiene, both in the shower or when I just washed my hands or face.
Another tip is to go very gently with very short strokes with the grain, and even more gentle when you go xtg.

Normally, irritation can be caused by things like:
  • Inadequate or rushed prep
  • Too much pressure
  • Not using slick enough lather
  • Shaving over the same area too many times
  • Wrong shaving angle
  • Using blades that are too dull
The Fatip OC is not expensive. If you don't shave too often, the OC will help you. You should not need very many passes, maybe 2 passes plus a touch-up pass for spots you missed. That said, you should be able to get a decent shave with the gear you already have.

Normally, irritation can be caused by things like:
  • Inadequate or rushed prep
  • Too much pressure
  • Not using slick enough lather
  • Shaving over the same area too many times
  • Wrong shaving angle
  • Using blades that are too dull
The Fatip OC is not expensive. If you don't shave too often, the OC will help you. You should not need very many passes, maybe 2 passes plus a touch-up pass for spots you missed. That said, you should be able to get a decent shave with the gear you already have.

Maybe I rush too much and I make mistakes

My tip for you is to buy a Laurel soap or an Olive oil soap.
Most of my problems went away when I started using Laurel- and Olive oil soaps for all my personal hygiene, both in the shower or when I just washed my hands or face.
Another tip is to go very gently with very short strokes with the grain, and even more gentle when you go xtg.

It could be an solution because I already have pretty dry skin and I also like to hot showers Wich doesn't improve the situation

Shave with grain only, try to find the optimum angle, apply absolutely no pressure, hold razor loosely and only shave areas where there(still) is soap. use your R89 with a sharp, but smooth blade. I jave good experiences with Perma-Sharp, Personna, Polsilver and Feather in this razor

Have I already mentioned: stay away from applying pressure?

Good luck!

I try to do this but sometime I tend to use pressure because alot of the beard remain on the face after the pass

With respect, OP posted pics of his neck showing growth in multiple directions specifically where there is irritation, thus formulaic responses about shaving with the grain aren't much help. Swirly necks are special cases . Spend the $30 on the Fatip/Schone or $15-20 on a Gem Clog-Pruf or MMOC. You may be in the minority of shavers who need a more rigid blade with decent exposure to address the area of difficulty. User @Esox has about 100 posts on this particular topic.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Top Bottom