What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in. Almost there!
Yesterday’s SOTD
Razor: Karve SS CB SB-B
Blade: PolSilver (4)
Brush: 26mm Timberwolf
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Nor’easter!
Have a great day y’all!
EB809C61-02B9-420E-A046-A3DE71B22184.jpeg

Still in

Prep : hot shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Voshkod (0)

Result :

3 pass, 1 tiny nick a pass less feedback on the alum block than Monday. No irritation after the shave whatsoever . I can live with that. Now on to improve my technic which will be the real game changer.

Still in, decided to revisit a sample of Meißner Tremonia Pink Grapefruit. It's a shame that Meißner Tremonia appears to have disappeared from all the online vendors that used to stock it, it's still available from their own website but their shipping costs from Germany to the UK are quite high. It's a very good soap with excellent post shave feel (although it smells nothing like Pink Grapefruit!)

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Meißner Tremonia Pink Grapefruit soap (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- The Ordinary Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- L'occitane Eau De Cedrat After Shave Cream Gel
- Jack Black Double Duty Moisturiser

Tools
- Gillette King C head on a Parker 26c handle
- BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

My dear sir, you are absolutely right. The truth is, if you want to be certain you won't buy anything, you don't register in the forum! I hadn't bought anything for 2 years. But since i did register and well, now i have more time to make more lazy shaves than before going to pension, why not play a game! In order to be a game, you mustn't be frustrated. Now that i have all that i need, i don't have to be frustrated. I will be opening new soaps for the next 2 years. Only i bought them while only failing 1 GRUME! The knowledge, says that if you want to stop thinking completely this as a hobby, you don't register. If you do, it changes. And then you must make your own plan. I have mine! Worst case? It fails. At least, it will be a funny way to fail! :laugh: I enjoyed failing with the photo of the hawk more than i did in any other thread! :lol1: It is certainly better than racehorses like you say. But, storage space and wife also have limits! :lol1:

There is something deep in human and especially male psychology that drives all this. Whenever I find something I like I want to get a lifetime supply of it! Backup razors. Enough blades for me and all future heirs. And so on and so forth. For all eternity. Consequences be damned! Enough that if the rest of the world crumbles to dust, or if there is some sort of supply shock, I can remain on my own little island oasis and shave away uninterrupted. A rage against the unknowable cosmos. Giving order and predictability and security in an existence we are at the mercy of. So I honestly think it goes back to how we have evolved. But it also gets to the sort of reckless greed and even blood lust that has created the global and local problems we all certainly face. So I try not to feed it but gingerly and well so that it stays healthy and as balanced as possible.

I honestly think all this is greatly reinforced and exaggerated by the genuine pleasure a great shave gives. The positive feedback on a sensory or even sensual level is immediate and we want to hold it forever but know it will only last until tomorrow because already the whiskers are doing their work growing back. Shaving reminds me more than anything of my mortality. Thusly alerted my awareness is heightened and this reinforces already powerful urges. Thankfully, we can't shave any faster than our whiskers grow. And our lives don't necessarily depend on it, we certainly don't do it to feed our families or ourselves. Quality, convenient shaves are a modern luxury we are lucky to have but the caveman in us wants to guarantee this will continue forever into an uncertain future. Again, facilitated by attainable and convenient purchases.

Ten thousand good psychology PHD thesis could be written within the walls of this forum, especially this thread. We're dealing with fundamental human nature here. And in this case primeval male nature. My wife, sensible as women are, shaves with what I gave her and pays no more attention to it once the task is done. Doesn't have the impact it does for me. She doesn't hoard makeup nor binge buy anything like that. Reasonable amount of cosmetics, which I pay no more attention to than she does to my shave gear. When some new shave gear arrives on the rare occasion she looks at me I simply say "my cosmetics" which she actually accepts and that's it. Thankfully she allows me my indulgences, as I do hers. Shaving isn't a vice!

We are men. We must hunt the biggest elephant and get the best shaves. And the almost extreme pleasure gives immediate feedback and fortifies our desires. So be easy on yourselves gentlemen! But don't allow it to become a vice. And remember that you are working with some of the deepest aspects of your physical nature! So embrace it and do your best with it.

There is something deep in human and especially male psychology that drives all this. Whenever I find something I like I want to get a lifetime supply of it! Backup razors. Enough blades for me and all future heirs. And so on and so forth. For all eternity. Consequences be damned! Enough that if the rest of the world crumbles to dust, or if there is some sort of supply shock, I can remain on my own little island oasis and shave away uninterrupted. A rage against the unknowable cosmos. Giving order and predictability and security in an existence we are at the mercy of. So I honestly think it goes back to how we have evolved. But it also gets to the sort of reckless greed and even blood lust that has created the global and local problems we all certainly face. So I try not to feed it but gingerly and well so that it stays healthy and as balanced as possible.

I honestly think all this is greatly reinforced and exaggerated by the genuine pleasure a great shave gives. The positive feedback on a sensory or even sensual level is immediate and we want to hold it forever but know it will only last until tomorrow because already the whiskers are doing their work growing back. Shaving reminds me more than anything of my mortality. Thusly alerted my awareness is heightened and this reinforces already powerful urges. Thankfully, we can't shave any faster than our whiskers grow. And our lives don't necessarily depend on it, we certainly don't do it to feed our families or ourselves. Quality, convenient shaves are a modern luxury we are lucky to have but the caveman in us wants to guarantee this will continue forever into an uncertain future. Again, facilitated by attainable and convenient purchases.

Ten thousand good psychology PHD thesis could be written within the walls of this forum, especially this thread. We're dealing with fundamental human nature here. And in this case primeval male nature. My wife, sensible as women are, shaves with what I gave her and pays no more attention to it once the task is done. Doesn't have the impact it does for me. She doesn't hoard makeup nor binge buy anything like that. Reasonable amount of cosmetics, which I pay no more attention to than she does to my shave gear. When some new shave gear arrives on the rare occasion she looks at me I simply say "my cosmetics" which she actually accepts and that's it. Thankfully she allows me my indulgences, as I do hers. Shaving isn't a vice!

We are men. We must hunt the biggest elephant and get the best shaves. And the almost extreme pleasure gives immediate feedback and fortifies our desires. So be easy on yourselves gentlemen! But don't allow it to become a vice. And remember that you are working with some of the deepest aspects of your physical nature! So embrace it and do your best with it.

I agree and it also has to do with obsessive traits in characters. The same traits that distinguish colectionists. It is also a way to take off tension from the quarantine lockdown. Finally, things look more promising and we can go out in the sun. But it is also a matter a matter of character. I have many repair tools. Or i have several car tools. And i have backups for them. I have pretty much taken measures before hand for any house disaster. I even make backups of my computer. This drives my wife crazy, because she says i "litter" the house with "useless stuff". But, when something breaks down and i have the spare part ready, then she is happy that she doesn't have to wait for the technician or to find a store open to buy spare part! But she only remembers this when things go bad. So why would shaving be different...

The problem is, i have embraced it very much already! Because add the previous traits to the happiness of the shave. I need a strategy, to embrace more soaps and less creams, while at the same time reducing the number of the creams. Because once i reduce the creams, i will be able to try more soaps too! :lol1: Now, the easy way out, would be to simply send most of my creams to Burundi. But, i prefer sending them croaps or fresh creams, because they have tropical heat. A cream that i have expired 2 years already, is very probable that would go bad after a month in Burundi. Besides, creams i have that are citrusy, i like very much! So, i go solo Sabbatical! Even better, i will report back in late August. The less you think that you are restraining yourself, the better! Every day you remind yourself that you are in Sabbatical, it is worse! :lol1: Looking everyday shaving photos doesn't help not wanting to buy either! Why didn't i buy anything in the past 2 years? Because i wasn't thinking about it. I was reading the forum, but i wasn't too much concentrated or taking part in it. This says a lot.

'Twas the Maggards Earth Day sale that got me. DAMN YOU EARTH DAY!!!
View attachment 1259112
SS Slim baseplate
I somehow missed your "out" message. I hope that we'll see you in May.

And when a brother has fallen, it's time for a belated...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @‘Bout Time
3) @B_R_A_D
4) @henrickd - GRUYERE
5) SharpieB - out (4/18: CSS soap)
6) @Doti B
7) @Stuart Ganis
8) @Chef455
9) Roedeer - out (4/12: Silver lather bowl)
10) Cino - out (4/?: Maggard's Earth Day
11) Herrenberg - out (4/23: Grail brush)
12) CzechCzar - out (4:26: Stuff)
13) @Timeclo
14) @La Malice
15) @Contact_vs_Feedback - GRUYERE
16) @pdieten - GRUYERE
17) @hopper_64
18) Schnitzel52 - out (4/5: Zenith/IB brush)
19) Trollky - out (4/9: Merkur 34G)
20) Bravoure - out (4/9: Declaration Grooming soaps)
21) @Owen Bawn
22) @Abz88
23) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
24) @Tomo
25) @Kyle89
26) @wmadoty - GRUYERE - AFFCC
27) Heavy_Metal_Hound - out (4/20: Simpson brushes)
28) @Jmp63 - GRUYERE
29) @Mike M
30) sarir97 - out (4/23: Yaqi brush)
31) @nelsonic21
32) @bluesman 7
33) @4and20blackbirds
34) @FL shaver
35) Burundian Hawk - out (4/17: Brush and soaps)

Last edited:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210428_222432.jpg

Tonight's shave uses one of my favourite razors, the Fatip piccolo, combined with the Astra SP(5). The soap was TOBS Coconut cream lathered with the Anbbas pure badger brush.
Unfortunately tonight's first world problem was a lack of hot water. This led to probably an amount of undue haste in my use of said Fatip piccolo, a mistake I have made with this razor on a number of occasions. Although I ended up with a DFS, I also ended up with a cut on my neck. What did I learn? You can always make a bad shave worse.

Still in.

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant “FOCS”
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (9)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Empress” with 26mm High Mountain White (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Soap and Aftershave: Noble Otter Rawr

Another really good shave with no 🩸 or irritation. Took a bit of work to get a good lather, all of my other brands of soap and cream work with my hard water but Noble Otter I find to be very finicky and the only soap I need to use distilled water with but I eventually got it figured out when I remembered the distilled water and eventually got a good slick lather. I got the Kai as part of the participation PIF and they were good but tuggy in my other razor but they are fantastic in the FOCS. I get up to 5 shaves from my favourites, usually 2 or 3 with most blades, so am quite surprised I will be hitting double digits with the Kai next shave.Kai blades are expensive but if I’m getting double the shaves of my other blades, fantastic shaves, it might be worth the extra cost.

528170F1-C418-4B0A-B9A7-04F28E8F8311.jpeg

What makes a boar a "gel boar"? Not something I have come across before.
Gel boar is when you bleach the tips of the hairs to make them soft and broken-in from the get-go. I don't know if manufacturers do this but Neil over at Heritage Collection Shaving does it himself. He gets boar/badger knots and bleaches them to have this gel-like feeling on the face while clumping up when wet.

Here's a picture of the boar. It's only been used a handful of times but it's the softest boar that I have.

IMG_20210428_194807740_2.jpg

Still in.
Razor: RR GC-.68P
Blade: PIR
Brush: Segrada Familia
Bowl: WCS
Soap: B&M Reserve Waves sample
No a/s today
Wow! First time using this soap. I was thoroughly impressed. I scooped some into the bowl and went at it with my brush, kept slowly adding water and it was crazy how much it took! I probably over-hydrated due to the cushion being slightly lacking, but the slickness was very impressive! Post shave was great as well! I will probably have to try trading for a tub of this soap it’s that good, and I’m not trying to fail the sabbatical! Have a great day y’all!
F5C9BF65-AD48-44DC-A111-E93E2F7708BE.jpeg

Still in. Almost there!
Yesterday’s SOTD
Razor: Karve SS CB SB-B
Blade: PolSilver (4)
Brush: 26mm Timberwolf
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Nor’easter!
Have a great day y’all!View attachment 1258947

If i may ask, sir! It is a Timberwolf alright and the handle looks like a Yaqi one, but not one i have seen before! Is it a Yaqi??? If it is, it must be a sort of private edition that they didn't commercialize. Or what other sorcery is this?

Top Bottom