What's new

(Slaps link to thread) You Can Fit So Much Wrong In This Journal

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
Ikon X3 on Gentleman Jon’s razor handle.
Personna Platinum (2)
30mm Maggards Synthetic Brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by holding wet shave binky on face for just over 2 minutes.
Lather: ARKO!
Post-shave face wash with shave binky
Post-shave alum block
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Mentholated Equate Beauty Moisture Advanced Care Lotion

128 hippopotamuses and warm water is hitting the spot. It’s eight breaths to calm down before the joy that is face-lathering ARKO!

After lots of swirling and painting extra water into the lather, it was time to enjoy the shave.

Two smooth ATG passes and a little cleanup and it was time to rinse and apply alum. The left side of my throat beside the Adam’s stung and there were no nicks or weepers.

Being used to Snake Bite; especially watered down to make it last; I applied the Ulm Nom at full strength. It’s just 75.5% ethanol and some untold amount of dissolved menthol crystals…

The BURN!

The FREEZE!

Yay, me!

Around the Adam’s apple felt raw later, so I applied moisturizer and went back to bed.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Last night’s shave
Personna Platinum (2)
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by holding wet shave binky on face for just over 2 minutes.
Post-shave alum block
Mentholated Equate Beauty Moisture Advanced Care Lotion

128 hippopotamuses and warm water is hitting the spot. It’s eight breaths to calm down before the joy that is face-lathering ARKO!

After lots of swirling and painting extra water into the lather, it was time to enjoy the shave.

Two smooth ATG passes and a little cleanup and it was time to rinse and apply alum. The left side of my throat beside the Adam’s stung and there were no nicks or weepers.

Being used to Snake Bite; especially watered down to make it last; I applied the Ulm Nom at full strength. It’s just 75.5% ethanol and some untold amount of dissolved menthol crystals…

The BURN!

The FREEZE!

Yay, me!

Around the Adam’s apple felt raw later, so I applied moisturizer and went back to bed.

Happy shaves, everyone!
I noticed Fine Accoutrements is now getting its soap from Italy (Tcheon Fung Sing?) since De Vegulde Hand is no more. It's now $24.00 usd instead of $16.00, and it's a croap instead of a triple milled soap.
09__67575.1612909800.jpg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Lasts forever if you never use it
The funny thing is, with my rotation, it would hardly ever get touched. It's a matter of principle. Say, by chance, if I did use it daily it would be gone in a month. That's a hefty price for a croap. I love Scheermonnik, but at $21.00 for 75 grams of soft soap I'm out with that one as well.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Personna Platinum (3)
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: ARKO! and Irish Spring for the nape of neck
Post-shave alum block

Skipped the post-shower whisker soaking, the second pass, and the alum. No weepers. Closer in some places than others. Face feels a little tender this morning. Will see if situation improves over next few shaves and add one element back after that if it doesn’t.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Personna Platinum (4)

Scrubbed to build the lather and then painted it down to desired slickness. Touch ups were part of the first pass. Two small, red dots for my troubles. Shave was closer and skin doesn’t seem as raw this morning.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Personna Platinum (5)

Received second Pfizer vaccine yesterday and our babby’s birthday is tomorrow.

Scrubbed to raise lather and did lots and lots of painting to add more water. Long, smooth strokes with the emphasis on comfort achieved by tilting shallow of all places. Cleanup included in the first pass. Skin felt good during the shave and the next morning. Looks a little chipmunk chewed, though.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Personna Platinum (6)
Lather: ARKO! and Irish Spring for the nape of neck

The hybrid of one pass and cleanup is getting smoother. Places where tiny whiskers are left behind change from shave to shave, but they’re all trimmed. Ulm Nom hits more intensely than Snake Bite and I like it.

Updating to say skin felt fine until I put on the moisturizer this morning. Either the menthol is doing a very fine job of sweeping my misadventures under the neurological rug or CeraVe is too good for me.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Last edited:

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Personna Platinum (7)
Aftershave: 91% Isopropyl

Painting extra water into the lather after the initial scrubbing and painting some more has been very effective for hydration and not as awkward as holding a damp facecloth over my whiskers (which was also effective, but best done hunching over the sink as wet facecloths drip).

The shallow angle on this razor and the Micromatic Open Comb isn’t as efficient as a steeper angle, but they‘re gentler on the skin while still being effective enough.

My skin feels great until the moisturizer goes on the next morning and only feels rough where I shaved, so I could be gentler/shave even shallower. Maybe soon.

My poor stick of ARKO! is quickly becoming a fragile nub. After the next shave or two, I’ll put it in a dish that’s mostly Stirling Unscented with Beeswax and the sliver that’s the remainder of my Mama Bear Polar sample.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Personna Platinum (8)
Aftershave: 91% Isopropyl and Ulm Nom

Kind if alright shave. Got a few weepers. Considered binning blade and decided weepers weren’t reason to bin it. Felt more leftover stubble than expected after doing more cleanup than anticipated, so it blade got binned.

Used a splash of isopropyl and then saw I’d have time for a menthol splash to air out so I used that, too.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Personna Platinum (1)

New blade, same result. Obviously poor shaving technique, but also possible that painting lots of water into the lather wasn’t enough hydration. Will see what adding the wet facecloth back to prep will do.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Personna Platinum (2)
Ω10048 Boar Brush
Pre-shave: hot shower and about two minutes holding damp facecloth against whiskers
Lather: Mostly Stirling Unscented with Beeswax with some ARKO! and Mama Bear Polar

Warm, damp facecloth held over whiskers before lathering and no nicks/weepers, but too many variables changed to ascribe more than a pleasant correlation to the matter.

The diminutive nub of ARKO! skated over the Stirling and the bristles must’ve loaded mostly Stirling. The Ω10048’s bristles paint a distinctly different lather than I get from the Maggards. It was more. It had more volume, but also more water. The brush’s bristles are fairly soft, but I expect them to get softer with further use. I do wish it dried faster. Well, even if it did, it would only be for getting soaked the next night.

Did one pass with as minimal touch-up as I could forcibly restrain. My whiskers at the jaw travel toward chin, Adam’s apple, and base of throat in nearly three, simultaneous paths. I may have figured out why I overshave under those parts of my jawline. Maybe two, fully lathered passes next time will help. Will find out.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Personna Platinum (3)
Maggards 30mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower and about two minutes holding damp facecloth against whiskers
Lather: Mostly Stirling Unscented with Beeswax with some ARKO! and Mama Bear Polar
Aftershave: Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite

Did two, smooth ATG passes and tried really hard to not make too many repetitions at the corners of the jawbone. Much closer than last shave and somehow gentler on my skin as well.

Lather from the bowl of the mostly Stirling soap just as dense as when I used the boar brush. Could be from using more soap than I was as the ARKO! stick was on its last, autonomous legs. Or maybe the Stirling Unscented with Beeswax base is better to my whiskers. No clue.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Personna Platinum (4)
Maggards 30mm synthetic brush
Aftershave: Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite

My brush seems to avoid the button of ARKO! on the top of the bowl and preferentially load the Stirling. It’s like it’s there to watch the Stirling sample die.

A couple of ATG passes and some cleanup under the jawline and all was well.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Top Bottom