Schick Proline (27)
30mm Maggards Synthetic Brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: ARKO!
Post-shave face wash with shave binky
Post-shave alum block
Aftershave: Snake Bite

With Easter celebration in the morning, I approached prepping for tonight’s shave with a clearer noggin. A thin lather was placed, wetted down, and refreshed after each of five bouts of counting 64 hippopotamuses. After that, the soap was too thin, so more was added and a final lathering and wetting down commenced.

It was too much soap in place, so, maybe, next time, it will be waterboarding with my shave binky.

My efficiency with the long, smooth strokes is still low, so two, shallow ATG passes were used. Managed a few weepers, but not as bad as the night before. Post shave feel better this morning although still unacceptable. Here’s to covering my whiskers with a warmish, damp binky next time.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
PAA el Fantasma
Personna Platinum (4)
Pre-shave: Face wash cold-to-warm
Lather: Mama Bear Polar
Post-shave alum block
Post-shave shower

I was apparently so against hanging around with a wet binky on my face for six minutes that I switched my routine a little.

Washed my face until the tap water got warm enough for lathering. Mama Bear Polar got the nod. Could feel the menthol in the sample puck this time. Added oodles of water and was ready to shave.

First pass, shallow WTG. When I saw razor indenting my face, I used lighter touch and focused getting what I hoped was correct angle.

Didn’t seem like there was enough soap in the brush for an identical lather, so I reapplied puck and added water again. Second pass, shallow WTG. No idea if progress was made, but it felt nice.

Brush was now holding enough soap for another lather or two. Reapplied lather and did shallow ATG. And then a semi successful cleanup pass.

Some alum sting on the sides of the neck, but no weepers. Had a shower and post shave feel suggested no aftershave was needed.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Tonight’s shave
GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Personna GEM PTFE (2)
Ω 10048 Boar Brush
Post-shave alum block

Wifey shaved my noggin down today, so I had an earlier than normal shower. Soaked my brush in a classy, gray cereal bowl and it was ready when I was. Due to giving it a few contrast baths during the FFFMM, it’s fairly soft, but I didn’t give it as many as maybe required, so there’s a little scratchiness and some piggy scent to it. Worked it on my chin stubble to speed up the process.

The pleasant, ARKO! fragrance was drowned out by the wet pig smell, but the lather seemed to form “just right” faster.

One, regular and shallow ATG pass and some cleanup and I was ready for the alum. A tiny, red dot on my upper lip and some sting on my sideburns said I was on the cusp of a good shave. For using three different razors before this shave, it wasn’t the most shaming failing in my life.

A splash of Snake Bite and all was groovy.

Happy shaves, everyone!

A splash of Snake Bite and all was groovy.

groovy.jpg

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
PAA el Fantasma
Personna Platinum (5)
Brush: hands
Lather: Ach Brito Mogno
Post-shave alum block

The soap aired out for six days and I didn’t apply with a brush.

It didn’t burn!

Shallow WTG, shallow ATG, some ATG cleanups. Used more pressure than was smart. Will use new blade, standard lather, and less pressure next time.

Happy shaves, everyone!

I notice you're using Personna Platinum blades. So am I (for the first time now). But I seemed to see pics of Personna Platinum in a red tuck. Mine is plastic, containing 10 blades and with a blue carton.
Are they different? What's yours?

thombrogan

That’s the same kind I’m using in my DE razors. When they’re gone, I’ll use up my Personna Comfort Coated and Personna Med Prep. And then there’s the Personna GEM blades for the Micromatic and Ever Ready razors and Schick Proline P series (made by Personna’s parent company, Edgewell) for RazoRock Hawk razors (and maybe the orange barber razor if I’m daring).

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
PAA el Fantasma
Personna Platinum (1)
Brush: hands
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by holding a wet shave binky on my whiskers for about 3 minutes
Post-shave alum block

Second time I’ve hand lathered with ARKO! and it went better this time. The secrets were using less product, more water, and appointing only one hand as the soap valet.

Also managed to soak the whiskers with a wet shave binky beforehand as I had planned on trying this week.

And then I used too much pressure so I don’t know if either change did anything. Raw feeling neck suggests it was a Bozo No-No.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Bozo No-No
I actually saw that episode on TV, as the Bozo the Clown show was broadcast live. That is when they learned the wisdom of having a 7 second delay.
I was only about 5 or 6 years old at the time, and I can still remember that kid sneaking from the stand and hopping on the trike.

thombrogan

This morning’s shave
PAA el Fantasma
Personna Platinum (2)
Lather: Mama Bear Polar
Post-shave alum block

The return of the brush. Nice! The return of the shave binky for skin stretching. Tentatively nice! The return of short, ATG strokes that shuffle like WTG pattern. Nice! The return of accidentally going steep on the neck so the razor is flappy and bitey and burny and left a baby vampire bite. Drats! Alum and Snake Bite elucidated my sins. Nice!

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Just started reading this thread, but it’s past time for me to be in bed.

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
PAA el Fantasma
Personna Platinum (3)
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by holding wet shave binky on face for over 4 minutes.
Post-shave alum block
Aftershave: Snake Bite and Ulm Nom

Added leaning over the sink with a wet face cloth covering my whiskers to my prep routine. Each hippopotamus counted and water changed if towel too close to body temperature after the 64th hippopotamus counted in any particular volley. Cool water 😎 was used and a counting scheme to encourage taking somewhere over four minutes used.

Started with the right side of my face with skin stretching and shuffling backwards ATG in the WTG direction. Despite efforts to keep the angle shallow, the results were mixed closeness with several weepers.

Started left side of face with long, sweeping strokes and only using head position and face-making to stretch skin. A little more work, but no weepers on left side and less stragglers left behind under jawline than on right side. Easier to keep angle shallow, too.

Alum said I was an idjit and Snake Bite didn’t strongly agree (though it rarely does if the alum trips the light fantastic on my pain receptors).

Made my own homage to Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite

Ulm Nom

An ulm is a legless, subterranean lizard from Slovenia and “nom” is a neologism for biting and eating. My homage is a previously empty witch hazel flask filled with Everclear brand grain alcohol and menthol crystals. It’s adjustable, affordable, and freezy.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
PAA el Fantasma
Personna Platinum (4)
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by holding wet shave binky on face for over 4 minutes.
Post-shave alum block
Aftershave: Snake Bite and Ulm Nom

Last two lathers with cool water weren’t as enjoyable as using warmer water. Also, leaning over the sink to not get water everywhere isn’t as comfortable after the first few minutes, so I plan to use warm water for both soon.

Used long, smooth strokes, but with pressure to keep the blade in contact with the whiskers. There were less weepers on the right side, but they were there. Will see if I can back off on the pressure and still maintain the smooth feeling while increasing comfort/decreasing boo boos.

Happy shaves, everyone!

thombrogan

Last night’s shave
Ikon X3 on Gentleman Jon’s razor handle.
Personna Platinum (1)
Pre-shave: hot shower followed by holding wet shave binky on face for just over 2 minutes.
Post-shave alum block

The warmer, shorter soak may or may not be superfluous, but the lather was better again.

Despite higher rigidity than the PAA el Fantasma, I still managed to nick under my jawline on each side. And despite that, the shave was much smoother as well. Two ATG passes and a little cleanup and the alum was just a little heat here and there instead of actual sting.

Happy shaves, everyone!

Top Bottom