What's new

Your Regrettable Purchases?

Razorock the Stallion A/S - to me was both too strong and gross
WSP Barbershop Shave Cream - Must've tried it 5 or 6 times but never could get any scent from it at all. Got some other samples I can't get much scent from either, but it really bugs you when you buy a whole tub based on other people's reviews

A Gillette Slim Aristocrat. It looked beautiful and I had read many great things about Gillette adjustables in various forums so I bought it without hesitation. I paid top $ for it but the shave was mediocre. Thankfully I sold it off without a loss.

Parker 99R, it was the second razor I bought, shortly after I started wetshaving. I bought it only based on looks, another disappointing razor...

TFS soaps, nice scents but the performance was subpar around (if not the same) performance as RazoRock which I also regret buying. Some I gave away, some others I sold off.

Ikon X3 slant. My first and last ever slant razor, really harsh and uncomfortable to use.

Asylum RX SE razor. Big bucks and never could get comfortable with it.....too efficient for me. One day I'm going to BST it. It's a fine piece of gear, just not right for me.
Agree. Fine piece of hardware but very aggresive and certainly not a daily shaver!

Hated it so much I threw it right out
I was incredibly disappointed by how weak it is, having not bought it in many years. I basically use the bottle as a decoration. I suppose I'll use it up on days I don't care what I'm using, and then maybe refill it with something else that is similar to what OS used to be. Not to derail this thread but I am open to suggestions!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I was incredibly disappointed by how weak it is, having not bought it in many years. I basically use the bottle as a decoration. I suppose I'll use it up on days I don't care what I'm using, and then maybe refill it with something else that is similar to what OS used to be. Not to derail this thread but I am open to suggestions!
How about vintage Old Spice? I find that to be very similar 😁 and it is readily available on the bay. 👍

Both of my Barrister & Mann soaps. Not because they're bad soaps (quite the contrary), but because they're how I figured out I don't like overly complex scents in soaps. Give me a simple rose or simple almond any day.

New Forest 2211. New Forest was a brush brand started by a shaving brush blogger, and before it launched its supporters hyped it up as being identical to a Simpson's at a fraction of the price. Spoiler alert, it wasn't. It had a good knot for the price, but the handle was shoddy, cheap-looking, and cheap-feeling.

Williams. Had to stab it with a knife in my desperation to dig it out of a mug I'd naively jammed it into.

The only upside of Williams is how cheap it is. Throwing the puck in the bin was the least painful part of that experience.

Vinkam shaving cream tubes (6 of them).
I was really new to wet shaving and wasn't aware at all about the vast plethora of items available.

I purchased them in hopes to saving some money, you know that Tag line, yeah exactly that.

So, each tube makes lather that dies by 2nd pass, smells like cough syrup and causes reaction on my skin.

Pearl SS-09 Close comb razor -
There is a difference between blade chatter and singing.
In this razor, the blade keeps on yapping and I end up receiving inconsistent shaves.

Wickham soaps -
My first international shaving soap (pre loved), they are the crappiest soaps that I own, always giving me the runny lather, no protection.
I cannot bring myself to give these soaps to someone else.

I'm not that bad.

Try decanting it into a glass container. That made a big difference for me!

How come?
The yellow is a more synthetic-ey mothball scented Floyd amber. Unusable, especially considering I have a pint of Floyd amber.
The blue hardly has any scent at all. Not worth using if you have myrsol blue, floid blue, Aqua Velva, etc.

Both bottles are huge, and take up tons of space. Had to get rid of them. Too many aftershaves smell better, even in the large size.

Top Bottom