What's new

Your Regrettable Purchases?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Most of the blades I have tried. I once ordered 100 Astra blades since the price difference between 5 and 100 was less than 2x, but every cent spent was too much. Same goes for the majority of blade sampler blades, but I wouldn't have found those serviceable otherwise I guess.
Astra SS or SP?

The Blackland Dart was a regrettable purchase. Looks awesome, super efficient, superbly made and a complete pain in the arse to use...

I had the exact same thoughts till I read Shane himself post in one of the threads here that it is good if one shaves riding the guard. And it does! I can now use it as one very efficient razor this way and purposely make the angle shallow when I need that insane aggressive blade feel for super efficiency. It has not cut me once after this technique change.

I had the exact same thoughts till I read Shane himself post in one of the threads here that it is good if one shaves riding the guard. And it does! I can now use it as one very efficient razor this way and purposely make the angle shallow when I need that insane aggressive blade feel for super efficiency. It has not cut me once after this technique change.
Thanks @luv2shave I will give that a go.

I have made a lot of purchases since I started shaving with DE razors and several things haven’t worked out but they all helped me to refine and define what I like and what I don’t like. I guess my biggest regrets are buying vintage Gillette razors. I really wanted to like them. I purchased one British Aristocrat (now in a new home) and two Gillette post war Techs (One in a new home). I found them all way too aggressive compared to all of my modern razors. I guess the point I want to make is I have learned through trial and error what works for me and what doesn’t, what I like and don’t like, and the only way I could find those things out is through buying stuff that didn’t work out. Regret? I dunno. I think I paid the price for knowledge.

ASP, but have tried the stainless and find them equally tuggy. Also don't appreciate the gigantic grease marks stretching right to the cutting edge.
I always wonder how many newbies nick their fingers, attempting to extract a waxed-up Astra SP from its wrapper.

OTOH, I get a perfectly good result with ASP, the wax stops them jiggling around in transit and blunting themselves, and it rinses off easily with a dash of boiling water.

A purchase I don't regret is a pair of long-nose pliers dedicated to blade handling.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I always wonder how many newbies nick their fingers, attempting to extract a waxed-up Astra SP from its wrapper.

A purchase I don't regret is a pair of long-nose pliers dedicated to blade handling.
Perfect (but hilarious!) solution my friend! I have thought about using a lighter, but hadn't thought of pliers to hold the blade!

Now you know why my wife insured my hands when we first got married! Ya don't see many one armed barbers!

Geo F Trumper's Rose hard soap.

Wonderful scent, but lather dissipates instantly upon applying it to the face.

Enviado desde mi SM-A307G mediante Tapatalk
At least you figured it out quickly. I am embarrassed to admit that prior to joining B&B I used Trumper for about 10-15 years. I’ve still got one unopened puck, that I likely never will open.

At least you figured it out quickly. I am embarrassed to admit that prior to joining B&B I used Trumper for about 10-15 years. I’ve still got one unopened puck, that I likely never will open.
It takes effort to load Trumper's hard soap, but I have found it makes a great lather.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
In 2014 there were only 50 B&B brushes offered and they were going fast. So I got a great brush for face lathering - lots of backbone and some scrub - without investigating the options.

Sounds good, right? Except I didn't face lather, scuttle with large, soft brushes. This B&B brush was not a scuttle brush. I used it 2 or 3 times and it's been sitting on my shelf since then. I'm glad you reminded me, I need to sell it and let someone who face lathers and likes those characteristics put it to good use.

B&M Terror AS. I love menthol and will try just about anything with menthol. The synthetic menthol in Terror is horrendous. It’s not as cold as real menthol, and the chemical stays on my hands and face all day no matter how hard I tried to wash it off—and despite not feeling cool on my face it burned other areas. Touch my eye—burn. Rub my nose—burn. Go to the restroom—you get the idea. I enjoyed the soap but the aftershave went down the drain.

Top Bottom