What's new

Favourite sandwich?

That wonderful invention the sandwich. Is there anything more perfect than a sandwich? Toss anything and everything between two slices of bread and it is magic. What is your favourite sandwich?
For me in the number one spot is the toasted BLT on whole wheat and in close second place is the peanut butter and banana sandwich.

I am not a huge fan of veal but there is a little place called Uno Mustachio in St Lawrence Market in downtown Toronto that had the best veal on a bun I have ever tried. Veal cutlet, fried eggplant, Hot peppers and onions with parm cheese and tomato sauce. Messy as hell, but amazing.

At home? BLT with American cheese and mayo or peanut butter and banana with cinnamon. Both on fresh white bread.

Now I want a sammich!

There are way too many options here! The humble hamburger and hot dog are easily some of my favorites, especially in their many various forms. As are the pastrami "Reuben" (a classic Reuben uses corned beef) and pretty much any pastrami sandwich. Of course, there's also the cheesesteak. But other favorites include Peking roast duck with plum sauce in little white buns, the muffaletta, the French dip (double dipped!), and the Italian beef (also double dipped)!

Dang, I'm getting hungry! I could totally go for a sandwich right about now. What was the question again?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Well I have Two favorites a Ruben sandwich on toasted rye with sauerkraut & swiss cheese sliced & melted with some ranch mans sauce with fries and Gravy, it does not get much better than that when on the road.
A nice morning sandwich is 2 pcs of lean bacon, two slices of cooked tomato, 1 slice of Kraft processed cheese and one fried egg all but between a white bun toasted with mayonnaise. (That is a simple but a excellent sandwich to start the day)

Buffalo milk Mozzarella, fresh Basil, organic sliced steak tomato, extra virgin olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, hot cherry or banana peppers, crushed black pepper and sea salt. Italian herbs and spices and a fresh baked Italian roll. I used to have prosciutto ham with that combination but I gave up pork.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Why wouldn't it be?
There was someone on talk radio a few years ago who got a lot of mileage arguing about whether a hotdog was a sandwich. But I can't remember who it was.

Here is a position paper from the National Hot Dog Council:

Well I feel like i need to try that veal and eggplant from Toronto but my favorite is from Philadelphia.... The Philadelphia cheese steak with (local shorthand for with grilled onions) Preferably from either Gino's, Pat's, or Tony Luke's

Can we talk about best snack cakes too... also from Phllly... Peanut butter TandyKakes. I rest my case... let the discussion continue. :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1615870805382.png

Dunn's Famous Rueben.

There was someone on talk radio a few years ago who got a lot of mileage arguing about whether a hotdog was a sandwich. But I can't remember who it was.

Here is a position paper from the National Hot Dog Council:
The problem with the argument presented here is the use of the term "just a sandwich." Sandwich lovers would never denigrate their beloved with the diminutive "just a." Rather, sammich connoisseurs describe the object of their affection with the choicest terms, such as "piled high with," "juicy," "tasty," "delicious," "to die for," "a taste explosion," and "a flavorgasm."

For my money, the real questions as to what should be included in the sandwich category are things like the burrito and Chinese steamed buns with (meat or other) fillings (think char siu bao 叉燒包). Does a sandwich have to have an opening? Or does a sandwich include any bread wrapped around some other food? Does folding a slice pizza over make it a sandwich? Is a calzone a sandwich?

Top Bottom