What's new

Favourite sandwich?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That wonderful invention the sandwich. Is there anything more perfect than a sandwich? Toss anything and everything between two slices of bread and it is magic. What is your favourite sandwich?
For me in the number one spot is the toasted BLT on whole wheat and in close second place is the peanut butter and banana sandwich.
What an EXCELLENT question. Sandwiches are without question the one food I would want on a desert island!

Today my lovely wife and best friend had made me a tuna, boiled egg, celery and onion sandwich, topped with lettuce, and it was waiting for me when I got up!

This Covid thing has me not smelling anything, and my taster is a bit off, just a little, but I think that was the most delicious sandwich I have ever eaten!

I reserve the right to change my answer, but if I order a sandwich, it's usually tuna fish. I'm a simple man.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rusty:

sandwich-club-jpg.803276
If I had to choose...it's corned beef on a Reuben 'sam-wiche' w/ Coleslaw, 'paper-thin' Corned Beef (piled high), grilled between two (2) slices of fresh Rye bread, sauerkraut (properly drained [squeezed] of almost all liquid), and Swiss cheese...and of course either Russian or 1000 Island Dressing!!!
proxy.php

A close second would be either a Cuban or a Muffuletta (NOLA's favorite), sandwich. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Lunch time is best served in sandwich form". Author unknown

Last edited:
I have sandwiches, or increasingly wraps, most days I am in the office. Ham and cheese, ham and egg, chicken and bacon, ham and brie (there is a theme!). My usual place, The Sandwich Shop, does a Massive All Day Breakfast - bacon, sausage, egg mayo, mushrooms, a bit of green stuff and tomato sauce. A decent club sandwich is a hallmark of a good hotel's room service. In France, the simple jambon buerre baguette is always good.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Four of many favorites . . .
  • Turkey, Swiss cheese and bacon with mayo piled high on seeded rye.
  • Turkey club with mayo and cranberry sauce on seeded rye toast.
  • Chunky peanut butter and grape jelly, also on seeded rye.
  • Capicola and brie with honey mustard on a baguette.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
And of course another favourite sandwich is a smoked meat on rye (with a side of fries and a big dill pickle) from Schwartz's Deli in Montreal.
Had a friend who went to McGill, and always talked about Montreal's smoked meat sandwiches. May hop over just to try one once the border is back open.

True story -- when I was around five I went to stay with my Aunt for a few days. One day I told her I was hungry and she asked me if I wanted a jelly sandwich or a peanut butter sandwich. I thought for a moment and said, "How about both...on one sandwich". It was a stroke of genius. And on that day the peanut butter and jelly sandwich was born. And for years to come (and truthfully...even to this day), I am convinced I invented the PB&J sandwich. Problem is, I didn't patent this invention (how could I...I couldn't even print my name) and now it is widespread.

Being delusional makes life so much more interesting...

Rusty:

sandwich-club-jpg.803276
If I had to choose...it's corned beef on a Reuben 'sam-wiche' w/ Coleslaw, 'paper-thin' Corned Beef (piled high), grilled between two (2) slices of fresh Rye bread, sauerkraut (properly drained [squeezed] of almost all liquid), and Swiss cheese...and of course either Russian or 1000 Island Dressing!!!
proxy.php

A close second would be either a Cuban or a Muffuletta (NOLA's favorite), sandwich. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Lunch time is best served in sandwich form". Author unknown
I’d have to say your seconds are in the runnings for my first. Anyone who has not had Cuban bread in missing out no matter what the filling. And muffuletta, don’t get me started, just make sure you order it for tomorrow...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
And of course another favourite sandwich is a smoked meat on rye (with a side of fries and a big dill pickle) from Schwartz's Deli in Montreal.
People talk about New York City's delis, and rightly so. But I'd put Montreal's delis (and bagels) up against NY's any day. Nothing like a warm spring day sitting in the sun in Jeanne-Mance park eating a sandwich from Schwartz's. Or Wilensky's, Viatour Bakery (spelling?), Fairmount Bagels.... aaaarrrrgggghhhh...

I am Dutch so a fresh whole weed crispy bun with nice aged Gouda some mustard and lettuce will make me happy ok throw an egg and some ham in there and it is perfect.

Grrr and now making stirr fried sambal Brussels sprouts with a baked potato, garlic yoghurt and fresh sausage and now I want a sandwich 🥪 weeeh

Attachments

• D401079F-5227-4467-A56B-67FA4C534853.jpeg
    D401079F-5227-4467-A56B-67FA4C534853.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 6
French Dip
A Super Special from Sub Station 2 in Blacksburg, Va
A Ghassans Steak and Cheese from Greensboro, NC
Muffuletta from Central Grocery in New Orleans

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
People talk about New York City's delis, and rightly so. But I'd put Montreal's delis (and bagels) up against NY's any day. Nothing like a warm spring day sitting in the sun in Jeanne-Mance park eating a sandwich from Schwartz's. Or Wilensky's, Viatour Bakery (spelling?), Fairmount Bagels.... aaaarrrrgggghhhh...
... and Dunn's Famous.

I plugged them above. I got to go to Montreal back a few years ago, and got to like them. I didn't try Schwartz's, but the impression we got from reviews at the time was that (unless you went at odd hours) you lined up outside and waited for the line to snake its way inside to the counter, and then were cheek-by-jowl trying to eat inside or took it "to go".

We went to D'sF for lunch at lunchtime and had no problem getting seating for 6, and it was delicious!! I'm sure there are other spots in town that were as good and no doubt the debate rages on who is the best. I was happy to enjoy a great sammich several times while I was there!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

:ouch1:

St-Viateur, Jeanne Mance Park (aka Fletcher's Field) by Mount Royal, I'm from Montreal but never heard about Wilensky's I see it is quite close to Lester's. Schwartz's . . . you have to have a slice of cheesecake. (edit: now that doc4 mentioned Dunn's I meant Dunn's cheesecake) So so many places. And the service in places in Montreal is so much better than in the Toronto area where I live now.

And since smoked meat has been so well spoken about I will add the classic "Club House Sandwich" with a side of fresh cut fries.

I have two favorites. The first is the #5 made by Hobby's Deli in Newark, NJ. It consists of a huge amount of pastrami and corned beef topped by coleslaw and Russian dressing. I have tried duplicating this with less meat.
1616024402613.png

Also, a midwest favorite: fried pork tenderloin sandwich.
1616024616119.png

Top Bottom