What's new

What she doesn’t know won’t hurt me, right?

I’m very much enjoying using my Gold Dollar razor, so I want to upgrade to something more attractive and higher quality.

I know that this buts me into the plus-$150 range, but I’m asking for suggestions of attractive razors up to about $300.

So, help a gent out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
For brand new, consider a Dovo Bismarck. Or look through the huge selection on the Revisor site for something that catches your eye. Ralf Aust is popular. For vintage, a nice Filarmonica 14 or a Dorko or a vintage pre-Dovo Bismarck #2 would be great. Or a Tanifuji or other western style Japanese razor, they are pretty much all great. Or pick up 3 or 4 nice mass produced American vintage razors like Little Valley, or Ontario, or Union, or Geneva Cutlery (Genco) or whatever. Avoid junk, and it really doesn't matter all that much. I would stick with a hollowground razor, is all. If possible, post a pic before you buy, if there is any doubt.

For brand new, consider a Dovo Bismarck. Or look through the huge selection on the Revisor site for something that catches your eye. Ralf Aust is popular. For vintage, a nice Filarmonica 14 or a Dorko or a vintage pre-Dovo Bismarck #2 would be great. Or a Tanifuji or other western style Japanese razor, they are pretty much all great. Or pick up 3 or 4 nice mass produced American vintage razors like Little Valley, or Ontario, or Union, or Geneva Cutlery (Genco) or whatever. Avoid junk, and it really doesn't matter all that much. I would stick with a hollowground razor, is all. If possible, post a pic before you buy, if there is any doubt.

You don't really need any other answers. Most of us will just echo what Slash McCoy has already said here. I have a dovo bismarck, a Ralf aust, and a few others he mentioned and love them all. You can't go wrong. If you want the best bang for your buck look at the lower prices Ralf aust razors.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If it's off the shelf then Dovo Bismark, or Thiers Issard. Otherwise there is a custom maker in Australia that I'd reccomend and with the exchnage rate it would be cheaper for you (~$130US). Have a look at SK Colling and Co, he makes 5/8" customs.
Those are beautiful. I'm not sure which I like best, though that "Red Bellied" one just jumps out and grabs you by the collar. No idea what the exchange rate is in USD, but I must assume that shipping would be steep. But those look first rate to my untrained eye!

Those are beautiful. I'm not sure which I like best, though that "Red Bellied" one just jumps out and grabs you by the collar. No idea what the exchange rate is in USD, but I must assume that shipping would be steep. But those look first rate to my untrained eye!
Current excange rate is on-line and is around $0.77AU to the US $ or $1US = $1.30 AU, not sure about shipping but I'd be surprised if it was that steep.

So in other words I have a 50/50 chance....

Oh, the USPS will definitely get it to you. However, it may be stuck in one of the hubs for a couple of months. I have a couple of friends who do custom work of various sorts, and shipping materials in from overseas has caused them to miss delivery dates. Even shipments between US addresses has been iffy since the last Postmaster General started ripping out sorting machines in order to "improve" postal services...

Great choice !!! :straight:

Thank you! I'm looking forward to it shipping and even more-so to it's arrival.

As a side note, the missus was at the local general boutique and was considering buying me something shaving-related as a treat. When I told her what I had ordered, she told me this, and said that she had seen an attractive razor (she knows not to touch a cartridge for me) but that she decided against buying me anything without my input because I'm picky. And that she was even more glad that she'd decided against it since I bought myself something nice!

Win-win!

Top Bottom