What's new

Mild razor for a beginner

Best starter is a Rockwell 6C or 6S. Shaving is such a YMMV thing that if you recommend a razor that doesn't work for him, you might be scaring him away for good. The Rockwell razors are priced reasonably and there should be one plate that works for him. Plus, it's fun to try out the different plates over a period of time and see how variable shaving can be. Kind of gets people locked in.
I gave him two razors, both mild but otherwise very different from each other.
An old brass Ball End Tech and a Feather Popular.
One of them should do the trick IMO ;)

Well, the poor guy sent me a message this morning.
It was a bloody mess, almost a massacre on his face with the Ball End and Astra SS so I think he would have killed him self with a R41... [emoji16]
Oh God! I am glad you didn't let him use a Muhle R41. I was being sarcastic. I hope he gets the hang of it. If he does, he is going to enjoy shaving much more, or at least save a lot of money. Although, I only saved money the first year, then it was a razor after the other, brushes, soaps, aftershaves. No savings on my case, but enjoyment, yes for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Oh God! I am glad you didn't let him use a Muhle R41. I was being sarcastic. I hope he gets the hang of it. If he does, he is going to enjoy shaving much more, or at least save a lot of money. Although, I only saved money the first year, then it was a razor after the other, brushes, soaps, aftershaves. No savings on my case, but enjoyment, yes for sure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I talked to him today and he's already planning for a new shave 😁
When he borrowed my razors he told me he was happy with Bulldog shave gel and was not interested in brushes and soaps.
Today he asked a lot of questions on brushes and soaps and how to use them.
I guess we have a new member in our growing society of wet shavers 😎

Speaking of saving money with wet shaving, yes when you buy your first razor and a 100-pack of blades.
But we all know that thanks to RAD we are bleeding money.
There's always a new razor, or two, that we need, a couple of soaps we must try out and brushes, we all need brushes... 😁

Well, the poor guy sent me a message this morning.
It was a bloody mess, almost a massacre on his face with the Ball End and Astra SS so I think he would have killed him self with a R41... 😁
That is why I never try to convert anyone of my friends, colleagues etc. from cartridge to DE.

That is why I never try to convert anyone of my friends, colleagues etc. from cartridge to DE.
Until I shaved with the Henson, I would have agreed with you. I used to recommend the Merkur 34C, a DE89 or a Gillette Blue Tip to new DE shavers...with mixed results from all of those razors. That is because they all have a steep learning curve and require persistence by a new DE shaver. The Henson went mainstream in Oct 2020, and I purchased one on sheer curiosity. Never had seen that type of head before. What got me was the .005 inch machining tolerance which NO other machine shop making razors could do. They use a 7 million dollar aerospace milling machine to make the Henson! Well, Henson made a head that has 99.9% Zero Chatter, and nearly no blade exposure. This means it is idiot proof and blood proof. That is why I can now recommend the Henson to a cartridge only shaver. Look at the last post today (awa54) on the "What is Your Most Forgiving Razor". That review is typical of nearly all shavers (new and experienced) who have shaved with the Henson. If you have not shaved with it, there is a pass-around on another online forum. Try it and be astonished. (PS...I do not work for Henson and am not associated with them in any way...I spent 40 years as an Aerospace Engineer though and understand great engineering)

Until I shaved with the Henson, I would have agreed with you. I used to recommend the Merkur 34C, a DE89 or a Gillette Blue Tip to new DE shavers...with mixed results from all of those razors. That is because they all have a steep learning curve and require persistence by a new DE shaver. The Henson went mainstream in Oct 2020, and I purchased one on sheer curiosity. Never had seen that type of head before. What got me was the .005 inch machining tolerance which NO other machine shop making razors could do. They use a 7 million dollar aerospace milling machine to make the Henson! Well, Henson made a head that has 99.9% Zero Chatter, and nearly no blade exposure. This means it is idiot proof and blood proof. That is why I can now recommend the Henson to a cartridge only shaver. Look at the last post today (awa54) on the "What is Your Most Forgiving Razor". That review is typical of nearly all shavers (new and experienced) who have shaved with the Henson. If you have not shaved with it, there is a pass-around on another online forum. Try it and be astonished. (PS...I do not work for Henson and am not associated with them in any way...I spent 40 years as an Aerospace Engineer though and understand great engineering)
The real problem is most guys I know don't want "a learning curve". They think they know everything about shaving. So, inevitably, if they try a DE there will be a lot of blood.

I say the best beginner razor right now is the Baili 176. Its a modern production Tech replica made of Zamak in china for around $10

Its a mild razor that is good for a novice, and the price is low. I think razors like the ED DE89, Muhle r89 or Gillette Heritage which all use the same style of head are over priced. I personally would never buy one for over $25. Tech razors were sold for like 50 cents back in 1950 and if you take inflation into account a Tech Razor today should not cost more than $10

The Baili is the perfect everyman shaver currently like the Gillette tech used to be. More expensive shavers are for Hobbyists.

I think razors like the ED DE89, Muhle r89 or Gillette Heritage which all use the same style of head are over priced.

The KingCGillette (blue package) is even cheaper (15Euro) and better (for me) than 34C. Mild, efficient and with almost no iritation.
Regarding Tech clones, I own the Baili Victory (new handle model) but I still have iritation on the sides of the neck, whatever I do. I never had the chance to try a real Gillette tech, just to see how it performs.
Can you recomend anothe cheap Tech clone that?

The KingCGillette (blue package) is even cheaper (15Euro) and better (for me) than 34C. Mild, efficient and with almost no iritation.
Regarding Tech clones, I own the Baili Victory (new handle model) but I still have iritation on the sides of the neck, whatever I do. I never had the chance to try a real Gillette tech, just to see how it performs.
Can you recomend anothe cheap Tech clone that?

Never tried a real Gillette Tech?
Depending on where you live you should be able to buy an old Tech in good condition for just a couple of Dollars, Pounds or Euros.

Here in Sweden you can buy a really nice English Tech for 2 to 5 Euros in your local flea market or second hand shop.

I have tried a bunch of different Tech clones and even if some of them can be quite good they will never be as good as a real Tech.

I say the best beginner razor right now is the Baili 176. Its a modern production Tech replica made of Zamak in china for around $10

Its a mild razor that is good for a novice, and the price is low. I think razors like the ED DE89, Muhle r89 or Gillette Heritage which all use the same style of head are over priced. I personally would never buy one for over $25. Tech razors were sold for like 50 cents back in 1950 and if you take inflation into account a Tech Razor today should not cost more than $10

The Baili is the perfect everyman shaver currently like the Gillette tech used to be. More expensive shavers are for Hobbyists.

I have this razor and it is so mild I think you would almost have to try to cut yourself. I think I paid about $12 dollars for it. I also have a Baili 131 that is more aggressive that I paid $8 dollars for. They are both great razors. I agree that the 176 is better for a beginner. It is hard to cut yourself with it and you have to learn to hold a good angle to keep it cutting, so it teaches good technique.

Top Bottom