What's new

Mild razor for a beginner

Global Shave Club sells a Gillette Tech Replica. They are putting that Baili 131 head on a Stainless Steel handle. The Baili 131 or 171 head is a copy of a British Gillette Tech head. If you put a blade into it the tabs will overhang on each side.

The Baili 176 is an updated version and the head covers the tabs totally and has a newer handle. Its also a bit thicker head then the earlier versions.

I heard that Global Shave Club is working on sourcing another Tech style head that is an American version with Triangular holes but I dont know how that project is going.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Razorock SLOC is a great deal with a stainless steel handle that is hard to beat. The SLOC looks aggressive but it is a nice milder open comb but has high efficentcy when shaving. It has only been out for a 2 + years and I bought 2 of them. Got my son interested in DE shaving with this little jewel.
If you cut or get razor burn or weepers you have to improve your technique because this razor is one of the best carefree shaves money can buy IMO. If a person wants a little more blade feel just install a Kai SS blade because they are a little wider blade than a standard Gillette blade and it is still a carefree shave IMO. KAI SS DE Blade.jpg
Razorock SLOC 2017 (2).jpg
Razorock SLOC Razor 2017 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Personally, I would recommend a Baili 176 for a new shaver. It is cheap and is basically a tech but for $13 delivered from Amazon. If they like it, then they can buy a better razor and if they don't they are only out $13.

If you think the Baili 176 is too mild or you have very heavy facial hair you can go up to the more Aggressive BD 171.

I like these tech style heads because they hold the blade perfectly and the 4 tabs in the cap make it so you dont have to worry about blade alignment.

Feather Popular was my third razor, but should have been the first one. Definitely better in every regard than my starting Merkur 15C (also a mild razor) except weight. I once had a month-long break from shaving and took the stubble off with the Popular and a Feather blade without inconvenience ( of course, I would have saved time if I had a heavier razor) and overall it was very comfortable due to ease of use - good grip and consistently perfect blade alignment. If I had to pick one razor for a first try, I would choose this one over comparably priced Chinese and Indian competitors.

Feather Popular is 3 times the cost of a Chinese razor. At 30 dollars its in the over-priced category like an Edwin Jagger DE 89 / Merkur 34c style.

Feather Popular is 3 times the cost of a Chinese razor. At 30 dollars its in the over-priced category like an Edwin Jagger DE 89 / Merkur 34c style.
30 Dollars?
In Sweden we can buy a Feather Popular for 15 Euros.
A Merkur 34c or an EJ DE 89 is 37-45 Euros in Sweden so there is quite a difference in price

We have a Swedish online-store selling rebranded Chinese razors and their cheapest (a rebranded Baili BD 179) is 25 Euros.
Their Qshave Futur-copy is 30 Euros.

I've just realized that in the UK the Baili 176 is available under different brand names such as Kanzy and RazPlus. It's available on Amazon for £10 or from the Kanzy Ebay store for just £7.55. It's extremely popular with over 5000 reviews on Amazon. Methinks I will have to give it a try.

Last edited:

It is under $14.00 dollars on ebay. I am a big Baili fan, but at $13.50 with shipping only my participation in several sabbaticals keeps me from picking one up.

I've just realized that in the UK the Baili 176 is available under different brand names such as Kanzy and RazPlus. It's available on Amazon for £10 or from the Kanzy Ebay store for just £7.55. It's extremely popular with over 5000 reviews on Amazon. Methinks I will have to give it a try.
Its surprisingly good. If you like the tech (aka mild) shave, you will like the 176. It isn't built to last, but will probably go 5-10 years. Not bad for the $$.

Depending on where you live you should be able to buy an old Tech in good condition for just a couple of Dollars, Pounds or Euros.
Really? Are sure? You seem to forget(or you just don't know) Eastern bloc countries didn't import Western countries products. If I relied on fleamarkets for my Gillettes, I would only have 2. Now, thanks to the Internet I have more than 70.

Really? Are sure? You seem to forget(or you just don't know) Eastern bloc countries didn't import Western countries products. If I relied on fleamarkets for my Gillettes, I would only have 2. Now, thanks to the Internet I have more than 70.
Well, I don't know where @WerewolfC lives, if he lives in an old eastern block country or not, and my answer was directed to him since he never tried a real Tech.

And yes I do know that many eastern countries didn't import western products before (I have lots of friends from Poland, Romania and Hungary).

And if you read my post one more time you can see I wrote "Depending on where you live..."

Until I shaved with the Henson, I would have agreed with you. I used to recommend the Merkur 34C, a DE89 or a Gillette Blue Tip to new DE shavers...with mixed results from all of those razors. That is because they all have a steep learning curve and require persistence by a new DE shaver. The Henson went mainstream in Oct 2020, and I purchased one on sheer curiosity. Never had seen that type of head before. What got me was the .005 inch machining tolerance which NO other machine shop making razors could do. They use a 7 million dollar aerospace milling machine to make the Henson! Well, Henson made a head that has 99.9% Zero Chatter, and nearly no blade exposure. This means it is idiot proof and blood proof. That is why I can now recommend the Henson to a cartridge only shaver. Look at the last post today (awa54) on the "What is Your Most Forgiving Razor". That review is typical of nearly all shavers (new and experienced) who have shaved with the Henson. If you have not shaved with it, there is a pass-around on another online forum. Try it and be astonished. (PS...I do not work for Henson and am not associated with them in any way...I spent 40 years as an Aerospace Engineer though and understand great engineering)
I got my son in law a Henson AL13 mild version for Christmas and a 100 pack of Astra SP blades. He likes it much better than the multi bladed cartridge razors he used before because they gave him too much irritation. I gave him some brief advise about using no pressure, holding his wrist straight (DE doesn't pivot like cartridge) and always having lather down before using the razor and he is doing great. The geometry of the Henson's head makes it very easy for a beginner to find the correct angle. It is a great razor for a beginner. The price is reasonable too.

A mild razor is what you want for shaving everyday or every other day. Because you will get less razor burn and irritation than using a more aggressive razor. The more aggressive razors are for times when you have thicker growth that you left for a few days.

Like for example when you use an adjustable razor you start off very aggressive to take off growth but you turn it more mild when your doing 2nd and 3rd passes.

Top Bottom