What's new

What's your best modern razor that was/has been produced for at least the past 5 years?

Here's the impetus for this thread: as traditional wetshavers, many of whom are affected by RAD, we chase new razors. When we get them, we think they are the best, but often it is just because they are the latest shiny new toys in our den. Each new razor, at least temporarily, upstages all the others; we post threads about how "X razor beat all the other razors in my den," and the like.

What I'm trying to find out is if there are modern razors that you own that continue to impress beyond the "honeymoon period." Do you have a modern razor that has stayed in your rotation for half a decade or more? If so, what razor is it, and what do you like about it?

Pics are welcome but not required.

Oh, and I'll start. For me, the Pils and the iKon S3S, both of which have been around a LOT longer than 5 years, continue to compete and beat most newcomer razors. I like them because I enjoy mild razors that are still efficient enough to give a DFS shave; both of these are classified as mild, but work very well for me.

My broman is not old enough for half a decade but i still like it a lot. For that daily comfy dfs without hurting a brain cell
The other razor I return to every time is the qshave futul. It was one of my first de purchases and it still beats the rest I own for results. And in this case you better use those brain cells so it keeps my technique on par

The only modern razor I have is the Edwin Jagger DE89, a real fine shaver but I haven't used it in years. I always wanted to try a PILS. Beautiful design! I wouldn't be able to afford most of the high end modern razors.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have two razors, an EJ DE89 and a Feather AS-D2. I like both, but I like the Feather a whole lot more. Both give great shaves, but the Feather just feels more solid and smooth. Plus it delivers exceedingly good blade mileage, at least for me. I have not had the AS-D2 five years.

Two razors I alternate with are my ATT SE1 and my Fartip Grande. I always get a great shave with either one.

Erasmic_ATT.JPG
Fatip_Grande.JPG

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Gem Micromatic Open Comb (if 1932 wasn’t in the past five years, that’s not on me)
Orange Mythus
RazoRock Hawk V3OC

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Best modern razor I bought recently would be the Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo .72 stainless steel razor. Mid range, very comfortable, well built and at a good price.
Razorock Lupo .72, 2021 #2 Gen.jpg

A few other razors that are comfortable and easy to handle are RR mission mid range and the RR SLOC milder mid range also the RR German 37 mid range slant at really good price range.(very affordable for Newbies)

Been at this for the past 11 years and have tried much too many SEs, DE, straights, shavettes, Feather-type SEs, etc, and I still prefer the Blackbird, but in Titanium. There is something about Ti that feels much smoother and gentler on my skin and I have never experienced anything quite like it. Don't believe it's psychological as the BB Ti is quite a bit smoother and gentler on my skin than the Brass and SS versions of the Blackbird.
The Yates 921 H is the other DE razor that is superb, for me, as well and I am waiting on their Titanium version to be released so I can see if it displays the same feel as the BB Ti.

I only wish that vintage DEs and SE razors would work for me as they are readily available and extremely inexpensive, but after trying so many, they just don't work as well as these two modern DEs, for me. Wish it weren't the case, but it is. :)

Best modern razor I bought recently would be the Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo .72 stainless steel razor. Mid range, very comfortable, well built and at a good price.View attachment 1221657

A few other razors that are comfortable and easy to handle are RR mission mid range and the RR SLOC milder mid range also the RR German 37 mid range slant at really good price range.(very affordable for Newbies)
Thats the one i'm after next.I've got the gamechanger 84 and its my favorite razor but i've heard the lupo 72 is even better.It's hard to believe lol.Have you got both?If so which one do you like the most?

D

dangerousrazor

I dont collect modern razors. I just purchase one and pass it on after 7 or more shaves.

So I am not qualified for the questions. But if I were obliged to only use modern razors, I will choose one among Wolfman WR2, Paradigm Diamondback and CG Lvl 2.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thats the one i'm after next.I've got the gamechanger 84 and its my favorite razor but i've heard the lupo 72 is even better.It's hard to believe lol.Have you got both?If so which one do you like the most?
I have the Razorock Game changer .84 also, it is a little milder IMO. If you want to bring the RR GC .84 up a notch I use the Kai SS blade which is a little wider blade than a standard Gillette blade and it makes the razor much better for my feel & results but leaves the GC .84 still a carefree shave. The RR GC .84 is a great razor and well built. The Lupo.72 is a better built razor for installing and withdrawing blades, has lather channels for a safety bar that to me is important. It is just a nice carefree shave with the razor and results are little better than the GC.84. If you like blade feel folks really like the Lupo.95. There is not a lot of difference in final results between the Lupo .72 or .95 from my understanding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom