What's new

What's your best modern razor that was/has been produced for at least the past 5 years?

Good info. I wonder where the aluminum Lupo fits in there? I only have the GC 68-P but it’s a nice piece
I have the Razorock Game changer .84 also, it is a little milder IMO. If you want to bring the RR GC .84 up a notch I use the Kai SS blade which is a little wider blade than a standard Gillette blade and it makes the razor much better for my feel & results but leaves the GC .84 still a carefree shave. The RR GC .84 is a great razor and well built. The Lupo.72 is a better built razor for installing and withdrawing blades, has lather channels for a safety bar that to me is important. It is just a nice carefree shave with the razor and results are little better than the GC.84. If you like blade feel folks really like the Lupo.95. There is not a lot of difference in final results between the Lupo .72 or .95 from my understanding.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have been Sabbatical-ing so have not had much chance to try new things,

I recently had a chance to use a Blackbird and a Tatara Masamune. They are two very good razors. Very different in feel on the face, but give nearly identical results. The Blackbird, I used the OC version reminded me a lot of a smoother Muhle R41. Smoother on the shave, not as close as the R41 but close. The only knock against the Blackbird was the teeth could use some "milding" up. They have milled edges that are not comfortable if you like to j-hook or get fancy. I suspect the polished version would suit me better. Something to get rid of the hard 90 degree edges on the teeth would be wonderful. (One reason I like plated OC razors like my Schone)

The Tatara. I don't understand every one saying this razor is too mild and needing to go for the Nodachi. This razor is not mild. It's hugely efficient. It's shave is equal to the Blackbird, but has nearly zero blade feel. It's a like a super efficient Feather AS-D2. Folks if you got rid of an AS-D2 because you loved it but thought it didn't shave you close enough. This is your razor. It holds the blade super rigidly. You can go any direction you like without fear she's going to snag.

I liked both of these razors and would rate the end result equal, though the feel in getting there is not the same. The Blackbird is for those who like to feel what is going on every step of the way and the Tatara is for those that like an effortless very close shave with almost no blade feel.

I would take the Tatara over the machine finished Blackbird, but I'm not sure about polished, I'd have to try one.

Not really. The only modern razor that I bought more than 5 years ago was the Merkur 23C, and I handed that off to Miss Linda for her use once I got the '62 Slim. My Progress and Fatip I only bought last year.

Thats the one i'm after next.I've got the gamechanger 84 and its my favorite razor but i've heard the lupo 72 is even better.It's hard to believe lol.Have you got both?If so which one do you like the most?

I've tried every single one of the GC plates as well as the Aluminum/DLC/.95/.72, and DC versions of the Lupo. The .68OC Game Changer is still my favorite razor to date and I've been through quite a few modern SS/machined DE razors (WR1, Rex Envoy, Rockwell, RR BBS, Gen 1 and Gen 2 Charcoal Goods in all 3 levels OC and SB, etc...). The Game Changers are not the prettiest or refined of offerings, and I typically favor more aggressive razors, but for whatever reason the .68OC just gets me the most comfortable result of everything I've ever tried.

Of the Lupo line I prefer the .95 plate, but I think if they were to offer a full OC version down the road I'd prefer that based on the DC plate I used.

Currently the only razors I still have on hand are a Game Changer .68 OC, a Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 2 SB, and the Lupo .95. The CG I keep mostly for sentimental reasons and knowing it will be difficult to replace. The Lupo will probably get passed along at some point but I'm still playing around with it. I have a Timeless Ti OC Slim head on the way to try out, we'll see how it compares to the others.

This one wins for beauty alone.

proxy.php

Nice. What others do you own that you’re comparing it to?
I've got a fatboy,slim,tech,and flaretip in vintage and Rockwell,de89,varient,34c,.68 gamechanger and .84 gamechanger in modern razors.I really like all of them but the .84 gamechanger i just find really smooth and efficient.I can get BB everytime with minimum pickups.As always YMMV.

I've tried every single one of the GC plates as well as the Aluminum/DLC/.95/.72, and DC versions of the Lupo. The .68OC Game Changer is still my favorite razor to date and I've been through quite a few modern SS/machined DE razors (WR1, Rex Envoy, Rockwell, RR BBS, Gen 1 and Gen 2 Charcoal Goods in all 3 levels OC and SB, etc...). The Game Changers are not the prettiest or refined of offerings, and I typically favor more aggressive razors, but for whatever reason the .68OC just gets me the most comfortable result of everything I've ever tried.

Of the Lupo line I prefer the .95 plate, but I think if they were to offer a full OC version down the road I'd prefer that based on the DC plate I used.

Currently the only razors I still have on hand are a Game Changer .68 OC, a Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 2 SB, and the Lupo .95. The CG I keep mostly for sentimental reasons and knowing it will be difficult to replace. The Lupo will probably get passed along at some point but I'm still playing around with it. I have a Timeless Ti OC Slim head on the way to try out, we'll see how it compares to the others.

This one wins for beauty alone.

proxy.php
Thats a nice looking razor and brush.I've got the .68sb which i'd put just behind my .84sb.I've never tried any open comb razor would you say the .68oc is as efficient as the .84sb?Is it as comfortable?

Thanks. I have a similar lineup,minus the Rockwell,Parker and Merkur. I’m thinking of upgrading to the .84SB plate so this helps
I've got a fatboy,slim,tech,and flaretip in vintage and Rockwell,de89,varient,34c,.68 gamechanger and .84 gamechanger in modern razors.I really like all of them but the .84 gamechanger i just find really smooth and efficient.I can get BB everytime with minimum pickups.As always YMMV.

Thats a nice looking razor and brush.I've got the .68sb which i'd put just behind my .84sb.I've never tried any open comb razor would you say the .68oc is as efficient as the .84sb?Is it as comfortable?

I tend to favor OC razors more than SB in general, so take it for what it's worth. For the GC line I liked the .84SB more than the .68SB, but I like the OC versions (standards and JAWs) better than either of the SB versions. OCs tend to work better for me, particularly on my neck where my hairs grow in flat against the skin. I only shave WTG in those areas to avoid irritation and so I think the OC designs do better in those problem areas.

I shave daily, so I don't stress out too much about having an absolutely perfect BBS shave every single day. It's 3 passes and what I end up with is what I end up with. For me, the .68OC gets me the best combination of closeness and comfort, followed by the .84OC. If you like the .84SB as much as it appears you do, I highly encourage giving the OC versions a try. They are just as smooth and comfortable as their SB counterparts, but will be slightly more efficient based on my personal experiences. They won't cut you or cause discomfort any more than the SBs will, so if you're worried about that don't.

I have a .84OC baseplate I'd send you to try out if you're interested, just shoot me a PM.

I tend to favor OC razors more than SB in general, so take it for what it's worth. For the GC line I liked the .84SB more than the .68SB, but I like the OC versions (standards and JAWs) better than either of the SB versions. OCs tend to work better for me, particularly on my neck where my hairs grow in flat against the skin. I only shave WTG in those areas to avoid irritation and so I think the OC designs do better in those problem areas.

I shave daily, so I don't stress out too much about having an absolutely perfect BBS shave every single day. It's 3 passes and what I end up with is what I end up with. For me, the .68OC gets me the best combination of closeness and comfort, followed by the .84OC. If you like the .84SB as much as it appears you do, I highly encourage giving the OC versions a try. They are just as smooth and comfortable as their SB counterparts, but will be slightly more efficient based on my personal experiences. They won't cut you or cause discomfort any more than the SBs will, so if you're worried about that don't.

I have a .84OC baseplate I'd send you to try out if you're interested, just shoot me a PM.
That's very kind of you unfortunately i live in the UK but thankyou for the offer much appreciated.

I'd put the Muhle R89 in this category. Despite all the love that stainless steel gets around here, I prefer the look of chrome. And to my eye, the Muhle is visually just right: very elegant, but without calling attention to itself. Paired with a really sharp blade (Feather, Nacet, etc.) the performance is close to daily driver perfection. I like shaving with my more aggressive razors. But the R89 consistently delivers really nice shaves with no drama. The underlying zamac turns a lot of folks off, it seems, but I've never had a problem with it. And if one day I do, I can easily pick up a replacement pretty cheap.

For me, it's between two Parkers: Variant for home, A1R for the road. Aside from an issue with a stripped thread on a Variant with nearly four years' mileage on it (replaced under warranty with no quibbles), I've had no complaints with either razor.
parkerA1Rvarant.jpg

I don't think my Fendrihans (MK. I & MK. II) OneBlade or Leaf Twig have been around long enough, so maybe Muhle R41 and Maggard V3A?

Top Bottom