What's new

Favorite handle shape (suggestions w/pictures please)...

Got to be the RV Keyhole shape!

Best ergonomics ever.

AA
I've enjoyed the keyhole design for the last 8 years, with the D01 knot; no matter how much lather drips about there's just enough angle on the bottom to always get a decent grip: Introducing The B&B 2012 LE Brush. SOLD OUT!! See post #227 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/introducing-the-b-b-2012-le-brush-sold-out-see-post-227.272598/

I do love the keyhole. I have a hard time imagining it in other colors. I have had 2 RV keyhole handles, but picked the wrong knot in each. I have owned and love the D01-2 band, so that is why I was thinking a keyhole. Do you think it would look good in jade?

My computer skills are not up to mocking one up for you, but if it's a dark green jade like the Connaught Omega Jade, then yes it would likely be smashing. From the brushes you posted, you seem to like more subtle, rather than very bold handles. I'm not as sure about the mottled jade that @Multum in parvo posted- aesthetics are hard when it's for someone else.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I do love the keyhole. I have a hard time imagining it in other colors. I have had 2 RV keyhole handles, but picked the wrong knot in each. I have owned and love the D01-2 band, so that is why I was thinking a keyhole. Do you think it would look good in jade?

Heck yeah. (photo below too late)

AA

The new features on the Shavemac site allow you to see every knot with every handle shape and texture. So if you like jade, pick your preferred knot and swipe through every handle shape in jade to get a feeling.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here are my current @Rudy Vey brushes:
20201126_112633~2.jpg

20201126_112534~2.jpg

20201126_112506~2.jpg
image.jpg

@It's Hedley - Bet you recognize a couple of these. ;)

My favorite handles are the Beehive, Bog Oak, Lemon Drop, Keyhole, Persian Jar, AS3M and Tulip.

I'll post some additional handle shapes from Simpson, Ever-Ready and others later. 😎

Even though it's a new handle in my den, I love the feel of this in my hand. It has everything I want: great grip to bowl later, can 'smash' it into the face and scrub (for face lathering), also has a shape that screams "use me but look at me". Both utilitarian and shapely :)

Photo straight from RV for final approvals...
IMG_0798.jpg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Here are my current @Rudy Vey brushes:
View attachment 1215387
View attachment 1215388
View attachment 1215389View attachment 1215390
@It's Hedley - Bet you recognize a couple of these. ;)

My favorite handles are the Beehive, Bog Oak, Lemon Drop, Keyhole, Persian Jar, AS3M and Tulip.

I'll post some additional handle shapes from Simpson, Ever-Ready and others later. 😎
David, you're killing me! I am only making one brush and seeing your RV collection is not helping. Haha! I do think of Rudy's handle shapes, the Keyhole, Persian jar, AS3M and Tulip are my favorites.

Even though it's a new handle in my den, I love the feel of this in my hand. It has everything I want: great grip to bowl later, can 'smash' it into the face and scrub (for face lathering), also has a shape that screams "use me but look at me". Both utilitarian and shapely :)

Photo straight from RV for final approvals...
View attachment 1215423

Great curves and color combo!

Everyone should own at least one barber style handle (Vie Long and Omega are the examples here). Then too...a Chief style (green and brown version {brown has a Shavemac D01 two band} shown are by Herr Vey) are another legit option. Keyhole (Paladin shown) is also a good choice....
IMG_7144.jpg
IMG_6009.jpg
IMG_1347.jpeg
IMG_0665 2.JPG

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
To me, there are many colors and color schemes I like and don't like, but I think that entirely subjective. It is fun to see the beautiful brushes (and interesting to see some I think ugly but others love). Some brushes look to me like the handle doesn't match or go well with the knot; I'm not sure how to describe what I'm saying there, and it seems important to me, but it's obviously subjective.

1612019855566.png
⬅ Now, that's a pretty color, the translucent pink. Wow!

But, we're supposed to be talking shapes, right?​

Will, do...

1-5-21.New.RudyVey.Pure.640.JPG
9-15-20.RV-IBO.New & Washed.640.JPG
8-10-20.RV.D01.640.Brand.New.JPG

I love all three of my RV brushes. The Irish Bog Oak handle was the one I thought I'd like the ergonomics of the least. Surprisingly, I like its ergonomics the best of the three.

If and when I have Rudy make me another brush it will likely be in the Eagle shape.

5-28-19.Zenith.HorseHair.507N:BR XS.640.JPG

These are the same Zenith handle, in extra soft horse and in three band silvertip.

When I use these two brushes I always find myself thinking this is the best handle shape ever, for my face lathering.​
Zenith.Silvertip.Damp.1st %22use%22.3-20.640.JPG

I'm not sure it that ⬆ shape would be considered a barber's handle or not, but it sure feels great in my hand.

Perhaps in much the same vein, I very much like the ergonomics of the SOC handle. I like it in the wood, but better in the butterscotch resin.

The Mistura, BTW, is a wonderful knot. If it were 26 mm I might say it's the perfect brush or something silly like that. It's that good.​
SOC.Butterscotch.Mistura.Vendor's.364.jpg

I do not have the extensive experience some of the gentlemen who've already posted have (including the OP of course) so I'm just adding my two cents knowing it's worth less than that, and following along to see what I can learn.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I don't know the name of that shape. Seems like sort of an hourglass. I would (figuratively) kill to have one in opposite livery. I might want a smaller knot, but the size of the handle is perfect and it fits my grip like nothing else.
Why not ask a brush handle turner to make one which is an exact negative copy.

Top Bottom