What's new

Favorite handle shape (suggestions w/pictures please)...

CB758C3B-5A56-4D4E-AFAA-DE48FB77BBDD.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim,

I have had an RV Manchurian for the past year in two different handles. The first was in an Ever-Ready 200 which I sold and immediately regretted. The 2nd is currently in an Ever-Ready 200 which will hit BST next week. As much as I like the Ever-Ready 200, I was wanting to mix up my handles for 2021.

The RV Manchurian knot itself is similar to the Shavemac 2 band silvertip, but has a bit more backbone and a bit more scrub. The Shavemac 2 band silvertip is a bit too soft for me. My 3 favorite knots currently are the RV Manchurian, the Simpson Manchurian and the Shavemac D01-2 band and I would rank them in this order for backbone to scrub to density as well (RV, Simpson, Shavemac). The RV Manchurian does not sacrifice any in the soft tips, but is not as dense or have the backbone of the Shavemac D01 2 band or Simpson Manchurian. I hope this helps and makes sense.

As for brush #2, I am leaning heavily toward the keyhole. Not sure on color.

Thank you so much for a great answer on the RV Manchurian.

I don't have or know much about the Simpson Manchurian, but let me make sure I understand what you're saying about the RV Manchurian as it compares to the knots I know.
  • It's got more backbone and scrub than the Shavemac non-D01 2 band, but is otherwise fairly similar.
  • The RV Manchurian isn't as dense as the Shavemac D01 2 band.
  • It also doesn't have the backbone of the D01 2 band.
  • The RV is soft enough but not as soft as the Shavemac non-D01 2 band.
Is my understanding correct?

Also, in terms of density, you didn't say this, but reading between the lines I get the idea the RV Manchurian is maybe more dense than the non-D01 2 band and certainly less dense than the Shavemac D01 2 band. Is that right?

Would it be fair to say the RV Manchurian is kinda sorta between the Shavemac non-D01 2 band and the Shavemac D01 2 band across the board?

Sounds like a great knot. Any idea where Rudy gets them?

Can't go wrong with a keyhole in my opinion.

I've not tried an Eagle but I think I will sometime soon.

I'm pretty sure you've owned just about every shape worth owning. Giving you advice about what to buy is like the batboy giving Hank Aaron tips on how to hit he ball.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you.

I agree with your comment about "gel tips" and should make myself clear. When I say a brush has soft tips, I am not saying "gel tips". My point is a brush knot can have some scrub, but still have soft tips, meaning not scritchy on the face. I think this is where the backbone comes into play on brushes I mentioned. Scrub, but not scritch. Brush terminology can be a confusing!

Me, too. At first I liked my one and only gel tip knot, but the more I used it the more I realized it lacked presence (that's the kind way of stating it).

I like soft just fine, but not at the expense of scrub. Gotta have scrub. Gotta have presence.

I distinguish between bad scritch and good scritch: Good scritch has presence and can turn into scrub, but isn't annoying or unpleasant. Bad scritch remains unpleasantly pokey. I know that might only make sense to me, but it's the best I can do with my good scritch/bad scritch notion.

I don't get the gel tip crazy.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thank you so much for a great answer on the RV Manchurian.

I don't have or know much about the Simpson Manchurian, but let me make sure I understand what you're saying about the RV Manchurian as it compares to the knots I know.
  • It's got more backbone and scrub than the Shavemac non-D01 2 band, but is otherwise fairly similar.
  • The RV Manchurian isn't as dense as the Shavemac D01 2 band.
  • It also doesn't have the backbone of the D01 2 band.
  • The RV is soft enough but not as soft as the Shavemac non-D01 2 band.
Is my understanding correct?

Also, in terms of density, you didn't say this, but reading between the lines I get the idea the RV Manchurian is maybe more dense than the non-D01 2 band and certainly less dense than the Shavemac D01 2 band. Is that right?

Would it be fair to say the RV Manchurian is kinda sorta between the Shavemac non-D01 2 band and the Shavemac D01 2 band across the board?

Sounds like a great knot. Any idea where Rudy gets them?

Can't go wrong with a keyhole in my opinion.

I've not tried an Eagle but I think I will sometime soon.

I'm pretty sure you've owned just about every shape worth owning. Giving you advice about what to buy is like the batboy giving Hank Aaron tips on how to hit he ball.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hi Jim,

I think you have the knot story in a nutshell. The RV Manchurian may or may not be more dense than a non D01 (I don't have a non D01 in house to compare), but aside from that, I would say you understand what I am saying. The RV Manchurian hair might just be thicker, which gives it the backbone.

I never asked RV where he gets his Manchurian knots, but I have to guess China. The Ever-Ready 200 with RV knot on the first page of this thread will be for sale once I can post again on BST next week. I am tossing in a few other items I have around just to move them along. If you have interest, PM me.

Thanks.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi Jim,

I think you have the knot story in a nutshell. The RV Manchurian may or may not be more dense than a non D01 (I don't have a non D01 in house to compare), but aside from that, I would say you understand what I am saying. The RV Manchurian hair might just be thicker, which gives it the backbone.

I never asked RV where he gets his Manchurian knots, but I have to guess China. The Ever-Ready 200 with RV knot on the first page of this thread will be for sale once I can post again on BST next week. I am tossing in a few other items I have around just to move them along. If you have interest, PM me.

Thanks.

Thank you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1216061

I had one and sold it and immediately regretted it. Will eventually buy another. Not sure if I'll go with the boar again or upgrade to their badger or get the boar and replace it with my own badger. But shape wise this is definitely near the top of my list along with my Rubberset 400
This has become my favorite handle shape. The only one I have is the green version with the 24mm 2 band synthetic knot. A really good brush

I think my wife is getting me the green handle with the badger knot for Valentines Day!
Nice gift if that’s what you get. If I were to get another badger brush that would be my choice for myself. Hopefully we hear your impressions on it soon. But I’m sure you’ll enjoy whatever she gets you. Go Cats

Last edited:
Top Bottom