What's new

Favorite handle shape (suggestions w/pictures please)...

I do love the keyhole. I have a hard time imagining it in other colors. I have had 2 RV keyhole handles, but picked the wrong knot in each. I have owned and love the D01-2 band, so that is why I was thinking a keyhole. Do you think it would look good in jade?
I was looking around for a Jade Keyhole type brush and found one on the Paladin site just to see what it would look like for you... Personally I think the color combo and the handle has a great look to it and if I ever intended on getting another brush this might be the one, but obviously not from Paladin cause I just can't afford it!!😢
1612054713255.png

1612054734963.png

Well, I sent Rudy an email this morning... I am now considering two brushes. I think I am leaning toward 3 handle shapes, but only 2 will make the cut. The Tulip, the AS3M and the Keyhole.

boar-shave-brush-24mm-stirling__25045.1506811267.800.800_bcf396f5-e54d-40a7-a6fd-d921fed4a99d_...png

I had one and sold it and immediately regretted it. Will eventually buy another. Not sure if I'll go with the boar again or upgrade to their badger or get the boar and replace it with my own badger. But shape wise this is definitely near the top of my list along with my Rubberset 400

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1612144720312.png

I had one and sold it and immediately regretted it. Will eventually buy another. Not sure if I'll go with the boar again or upgrade to their badger or get the boar and replace it with my own badger. But shape wise this is definitely near the top of my list along with my Rubberset 400

I hated the boar knot, and I generally love boars,, but the handle? Oh, my, I love the handle. I've kept it, just to hold onto the handle, and may one day replace the knot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Idk how that shape is called but it's my favorite on my 11 brushes.
Edit : Just noticed that the RV lime green from @never-stop-learning is the same.
View attachment 1216274
I love this shape. In fact, it's referred to as the "Hedley" around these parts. Haha. I was the original owner of the lime green handle you mentioned and I have thought of duplicating that brush. It really is nearly perfect with the Shavemac D01-2 band. That may be what I end up doing. Rudy says this shape is a variant of a Rooney handle from back in the day.

View attachment 1216061

Another great shape. This one is similar to one I currently have and what many would call an "Eagle" shape. It feels great in the hand. Mine is a Wolf Whiskers with an Elite Razor Manchurian fan knot. It is a great brush and one I am not letting go.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Idk how that shape is called but it's my favorite on my 11 brushes.
Edit : Just noticed that the RV lime green from @never-stop-learning is the same.
View attachment 1216274
I love this shape. In fact, it's referred to as the "Hedley" around these parts. Haha. I was the original owner of the lime green handle you mentioned and I have thought of duplicating that brush. It really is nearly perfect with the Shavemac D01-2 band. That may be what I end up doing. Rudy says this shape is a variant of a Rooney handle from back in the day.

The Hedley is performing wonderfully! Great brush. 😎

Brush #1 incoming from Rudy. It is an AS3M in faux tortoise with the RV Manchurian fan set at 25mm/50mm. I love this knot and handle shape. The faux tortoise is not the flashiest handle color, but it is a classic.

Brush #2 will have the Shavemac D01-2 band, but will be another month before the knot arrives stateside. Still deciding on handle shape and color.

IMG_0938.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Brush #1 incoming from Rudy. It is an AS3M in faux tortoise with the RV Manchurian fan set at 25mm/50mm. I love this knot and handle shape. The faux tortoise is not the flashiest handle color, but it is a classic.

Brush #2 will have the Shavemac D01-2 band, but will be another month before the knot arrives stateside. Still deciding on handle shape and color.

View attachment 1219913

I'd like to know more about the RV Manchurian as you get to know it. I know nothing about that particular knot, but hear it mentioned a good bit.

RV-IBO.New&Washed.480.JPG

The AS3M is a very nice handle shape. I like mine much more than I would have guessed. Congratulations on your choice.​

2-7-21.R41.RV-D01.Vitos.640.JPG

2 suggestions

Beehive & Keyhole

Both are in butterscotch​
2-5-21.RV-Pure.FatBoy.Vitos.640.JPG

Sure is hard to decide on shape and color, isn't it, but fun.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'd like to know more about the RV Manchurian as you get to know it. I know nothing about that particular knot, but hear it mentioned a good bit.

View attachment 1219919
The AS3M is a very nice handle shape. I like mine much more than I would have guessed. Congratulations on your choice.​

View attachment 1219922
2 suggestions

Beehive & Keyhole

Both are in butterscotch​
View attachment 1219923

Sure is hard to decide on shape and color, isn't it, but fun.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hi Jim,

I have had an RV Manchurian for the past year in two different handles. The first was in an Ever-Ready 200 which I sold and immediately regretted. The 2nd is currently in an Ever-Ready 200 which will hit BST next week. As much as I like the Ever-Ready 200, I was wanting to mix up my handles for 2021.

The RV Manchurian knot itself is similar to the Shavemac 2 band silvertip, but has a bit more backbone and a bit more scrub. The Shavemac 2 band silvertip is a bit too soft for me. My 3 favorite knots currently are the RV Manchurian, the Simpson Manchurian and the Shavemac D01-2 band and I would rank them in this order for backbone to scrub to density as well (RV, Simpson, Shavemac). The RV Manchurian does not sacrifice any in the soft tips, but is not as dense or have the backbone of the Shavemac D01 2 band or Simpson Manchurian. I hope this helps and makes sense.

As for brush #2, I am leaning heavily toward the keyhole. Not sure on color.

That’s a beauty! Two handles styles that I like are the Rooney Alibaba and Victorian from the heritage range. As for color, a hard call. Maybe a lighter resin perhaps with some mottling? Briar is also nice. With a D01 you can be certain that the knot will be good - none of the “gel tip” stuff!

That’s a beauty! Two handles styles that I like are the Rooney Alibaba and Victorian from the heritage range. As for color, a hard call. Maybe a lighter resin perhaps with some mottling? Briar is also nice. With a D01 you can be certain that the knot will be good - none of the “gel tip” stuff!
Thank you.

I agree with your comment about "gel tips" and should make myself clear. When I say a brush has soft tips, I am not saying "gel tips". My point is a brush knot can have some scrub, but still have soft tips, meaning not scritchy on the face. I think this is where the backbone comes into play on brushes I mentioned. Scrub, but not scritch. Brush terminology can be a confusing!

Top Bottom